Home Metal Detecting

ENTRY/NOMINATION THREAD: AUGUST, 2007 "QUALITY" AWARDS (Best Coin/Jewelry/Relic/Wildcard f

Please enter your finds (or nominate somebody else's finds) for the five Metal Detecting Forum "Quality" awards:

The five "quality" award categories are:

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token
Best U.S. Coin/Token
Best Jewelry Item
Best Relic/Other
Best "Wild Card" Find

There is no limit on the number of entries per forum member. If your find seems humble in comparison to some of the others, don't sweat it- we like to see what everybody's found, be it humble or fantastic. Just post your item and a brief story of how you found it, or a link to your thread about the find, if there was one. If you can, post a picture of your item (small to medium-sized pictures of single items, please, rather than large groupings, since the pictures will be used in the poll threads at the end of the month). If you make a neat find and do not post it here, we might miss it later when we put the award polls up, so be sure and post your better finds here even if you already posted your own thread about them. Also, let us know what category you're entering for.

Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token: This includes all world coinage with the exception of US minted coins obviously.

Best U.S. Coin/Token: this category is pretty self-explanatory. Note that it is for detector finds of coins minted in the U.S from 1776 to present - if a coin or token was found in circulation or by eyesight, it belongs in the "Wild Card" category. The award is for single coin finds, though if a cache is found all in the same hole and/or same container at the same time, it may be entered as a single item.

Best Jewelry Item: also pretty straightforward, but if you find coin jewelry, you can choose to put it here or in the Coin category. Also, if you find lost jewelry and return it to its proper owner, you still get to enter it in the competition, even though it wasn't "finders keepers". (See if you can get a picture of it, though).

Best Relic/Other: this category pretty much covers anything found with a detector that isn't a coin or jewelry.

Best "Wild Card" Item: this category is only for finds made without a detector. It may include coins or jewelry, but if you found those with your detector, they go in the categories above. This is for surface "eyeball" finds, circulation coin finds, and pretty much anything else, including nonmetallic finds like arrowheads, bottles, fossils, gemstones, gold nuggets, minerals, natural history specimens, pottery, prehistoric artifacts, and so on. Be sure and mention that the item you are entering is a "Wild Card" find, so we'll know which category to put it in when the polls go up at the end of the month.

Comments

• Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token

Hong Kong 5 Dollar

Best Jewelry Item__Above___Stud ear ring with rock?

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • I want to put in for "Best Jewelry" my women's 14K wedding band with the 60 three point diamonds (1.8 carat total).

Thanks

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • TTT
  • No competition for Gary's ring but I can't let him run unopposed image
  • For Best Wildcard Find:

1957 Washington Quarter found in change at work.

I've also pulled 1944-P and 1945-P War Nickels out of change at work this month. image
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • WadeWade Posts: 41 ✭✭
    1992 women's class ring. 10K and topaz stone.
    Hey... sit on it!
  • ok ....best us silver....1964 quarter....hh

i found this coin, my first silver in a long while, along a sidewalk in a older section of town that was developed by the us army in the early forties.....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Nevermind, look like Phuts gonna win in it no matter what
  • ttt
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token- None

Best U.S. Coin/Token
    phut's three coin spill.1903 dime, 1919 nickel, 1902 IHC

phut's 1845 holed, Seated Half Dime

phut's two coin spill. 1877cc US dime, 1840 US dime

phut's 1943 US dime

phut's 1923 US dime

Best Jewelry Item

phut's Sterling rose

phut's 1849 gold wedding band

phut's costume jewelry turtle.

Best Relic/Other

phut's baseball thing

phut's B&M Railroad cargo seal.

phut's colonial buckle

phut's colonial shoe buckle.

phut's flat button with nature scene.

phut's ???

phut's small lock.

Best "Wild Card" Find

phut's insulator.
  • Found this on the 1st of Aug. On a beach in Chicago, Dry sand.

Plat 90%, 100 1 point diamonds, 50 on each edge. Michael B designer ring. Retail 10,500.00.

I guess i can quit now cause that will be hard to beat!!

Chicago Ron

imageimage
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Haha, no problem. It's just confusing since the August polls weren't up yet.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage