Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

1872 Shield Nickel FS 7.75 AND FS 007, need help

I desperately need help in course of action, and all opinion are welcome. I have a Mint State 1872 Shield Nickel that has 2 varieties that are listed in the cherrypickers guide. One is FS 7.75, misplaced date that per guide is only 2 known back when the book was printed, and the the other is FS 007, double annulet and leaves right of annulet. PCGS says they would put both designation for me on the holder. I'm not even mentioning the fact that the reverse has every star doubled and most of the USA and cents doubled.
My desperate question is that one dealer friend in town tells me to send it first to Numismatic Conservation Services (NCS) a division of NGC first for conservation purposes before sending to PCGS. Another says to not risk the conservation and to send directly to PCGS.
I'm trying to do the right thing here due to the rarity of 2 varieties on the same coin and the strait up misplaced date, and that it is in mint state.
Pg 238 and 242 per guide. All rays easily present. Must have been some grease on die for the G and O of GOD as they are weak strike when nothing else is weak. Missing part of S in Cents which is common.
Thanks in advance.
Mike
Jefferson Lover & Full Step Treasure Hunter

Comments

• HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭
    this'd probably do better in the real forum DOH!
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's present on the coin that the dealer thinks requires 'conservation'? If it is some PVC haze or something similar, you may try a light careful cleaning with MS70 or acetone. Or maybe it is fine 'as is'. Either way, I agree that you can get more opinions on the regular board, especially if you post some pics of the coin with the anomolies.
    Greg
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Thanks for the help, and yes I got immediate help in identifing the varieties of this sheild nickel and some opinions from the same posting in the other forum. MB
    Jefferson Lover & Full Step Treasure Hunter