Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A "Close to Perfect" THANK YOU!!!!

Hello All!

Needless to say, it was a wild trip to Milwaukee. This is probably going to turn into a rather long post, so I apologize upfront for this longwinded story, but what the heck.

First off, thanks to everyone for the all the congrats on what turned out to be an absolutely unbelievable auction result. Steve Deeds and all the folks at Bowers and Merena did a fantastic job with my set. Anyone thinking about auctioning, please feel free to contact me and I would be more than happy to discuss the whole auction process with them. I had never been through it with anything on this scale, but let's just say I was very happy not just with the result, but also with the way it was handled from start to finish. First class treatment by a first class people.

Next, I've purchased my coins from many different sources over the years, but over the last few years when I started to go after the really low POP PCGS Lincolns, the vast majority came directly through or with the advisement of two very special people. This set and the quality of coins it contained would have never been possible without my dear friends, Andy and Allynne Skrabalak of Angel Dee's. I'm not trying to make this an advertisement, but if you are doing Lincolns, you can't go wrong with them. Thanks sooo much you two!

I would also like to acknowledge all the other folks from whom I've purchased these high quality Lincolns, but I don't want to insult the few I surely would forget, so rather than that, another hearty thanks to you all.

As for the auction itself, it was just incredible! Tom Schiera gave a very accurate description in another thread. I would estimate about 30-40 people in attendance, with several additional phone bidders. I had this fear that nobody would show up, so needless to say, I was quite happy with the bidding activity. Several good friends on these boards have already posted lots of very accurate calculations on the results, so I will just say that as with most areas of the coin market, quality Lincolns are obviously quite healthy.

I apologize to those who have tried to enter coins they purchased into their registry sets, and were blocked because they weren't yet released by me. I intended to retire the sets and delete the coins from my inventory before leaving for Milwaukee, but in the excitement, I just plain forgot. No other excuse, just dumb old me. After the auction on Saturday, I left Milwaukee at 4:00 PM for another out of town commitment. On Sunday, when I realized my mistake, I tried to get on the PCGS website through one of those on the TV internet things in the hotel room, but this computer genious couldn't seem to make that work. Big Surprise! So anyway, I just walked in the house from the airport about 2 hours ago, and the first thing I did was get on here and take care of the set retirement. It's all done on my end, so those who want to should be able to enter the coins now. Thanks for your patience and sorry about the delay.

One last thing, several people have wondered about the Memorials that I listed as an entire set in the auction. No, they did not meet my reserve, and I think I will hang on to them for now. Some time down the road, I may auction them as individual coins, so that anyone can go after just the ones they want, but for now I'm going to keep the set together.

THANKS once again to all, and I'll see ya down the road at some coin show somewhere.

Best Regards,

Dan Close

Comments

• Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Congratulations brother. I have really enjoyed your posts all the way through this process.

I am proud to say that I will be the new owner of one of your mattes. Rest easy brother, it'll be in good hands.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Awesome post Dan. Well said. CONGRATS AGAIN!
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on a successful sale Dan, You had a truly remarkable set. It was no surprise to me
    that some new price records were set.
  • Options
    I, too, wish to congratulate you for the successful auction.

I couldn't land any wheaties or proofs, but that won't happen when those beautiful Memorials
    are up for auction. Please keep us posted.

And I would also be interested in your future plans in the coin world. With the impact you have
    in the registry sets, I'm sure we're all pretty interested.

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    Dan,

Great post! Thanks again for all the wonderful coins, which will now be enjoyed by many of us in the Lincoln collector community.

Dan, I have a confession to make...after the auction, I was "brain dead", plain and simple. I simply forgot to come up to you and meet you! I had fully intended to do so, however in the excitement of the auction, I completely forgot after I was done bidding...and after I realized this too late, I felt like a real "dope" for having missed the opportunity to meet you. From our brief email exchanges and from what Andy told me about you, I know you're a first-class guy. Dan, like many of the Lincoln collectors, I'm honored to have snagged a couple of your coins. It was also very plain to see that you were very concerned with putting only the finest examples you could find into your set, and it certainly paid off for you.

With Regard to Andy and his wife, I totally agree with your comments, they are at the top of the Lincoln dealer list. I have had nothing but good experiences with Andy, and he is such a good guy to work with, and just a all-around nice guy, as well. And I feel confident in saying that very few dealers know the Lincoln series as well as Andy does.

Dan, I've only one more thing to say...don't spend it all in one place!! image Enjoy the fruits of your labors, and please keep in touch. I do hope that we will have a chance to meet in person one of these days, perhaps at another coin show. Enjoy those Memorial Cents while you still have them!

Best regards,

Tom Schiera
  • Options
    Dan.... Your collection hollars passion. I too rarely post here but feel compelled to recognize your collection, your achievement, the auction results and desire to collect the very best. A complete collection!!! Tough for one to fathom. My hats off to you. I'm sure all will agree, working with Andy is the best you can do..... and this collection and the auction results cast that in copper. Rumrunner
  • Options
    Dan, congratulations and thank you for your efforts. My best wishes to you in the future. I will miss seeing you on the Registry in the wheat categories and I am grateful and proud that I acquired five of your key date coins. They will have a permanent home in our Corwin Family Collections for generations to come.

Corwin Family Collection #2 Current Finest Lincoln Cents with Varieties (1909-1958)

Corwin Family Collection #5 Current Finest Lincoln Cents Basic Set (1909-1958)image
    LuckyLincolns
    Former Owner of the Corwin Family Collection
    #1 All Time Finest Lincoln Cents Collections (1909-Present) at time of Retirement 8-21-08: Date Set, Basic Set, Classic Set and Major Varieties

Collecting Lincolns has been an honor, privilege and an adventure
  • Options
    Thanks Dan for an excellent post. I, too, have enjoyed following your report of this exciting process. Is it true that selling a collection is as satisfying as building and owning the set?

Garrow