Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Last night I tore through 12 1965 SMS sets and .................

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
...........pulled out some pretty nice singles.

The sets were ones that I hand selected from a large inventory of proof and SMS coins a large So.Cal. proof and SMS set dealer that he brought with him to the April, 2007 Santa Clara show. My eye caught some individual coins in the 12 sets that had promise. Since I bought the sets. I could not decide whether to keep them intact or cut them open. Last night I caved in to temptation and cut them open.

The results:

4 decent halves with frosted devices and nice mirrors (do not know if any would Cam at a TPG)

2 Cameo quarters (very nice obverse frost and decent reverse frost);

1 moderately Cameo dime;

2 Cameo nickels; and

4 very nice Cameo cents (the devices have nice Cameo frost and the fields are mirrored; and 3 of the 4 coins have no carbon spots, the 4th coin has one spot).

All in all a fun way to spend a couple of hours. The above described coins go into the stash and the others will be wholesaled out.

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've thought about re-constituting my collection the same way!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cameo cents are rare. If you find one though it wouldn't be surprising to find three more with it.

Really even the dime is tough. There are enough to fulfill most of the demand so they don't get the
    attention they deserve.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    The interesting thing about the group of sets I bought is that they were not included in a separate stash of sets the dealer had culled from his holdings and segregated for another buyer.

I saw the dealer and his helper looking through proof and SMS sets and setting them aside. I asked about those sets and was told they were for another dealer to look through. The delaer let me peek at the sets he was setting aside for the other dealer. WOW was all I could say. The coins in the segregated sets were unbelievably gorgeous. I remember seeing a 1965 SMS half that looked DCAM to me and a 1965 SMS dime that looked like a Clad branch mint proof Cameo dime. Unfortunately they were not available to me.

• Options
    Ditto.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Most of the quarters are as you describe. The coins designated cameo usually have frost break in the inner wing area close to the eagle body. All of the cameo quarters have die polish on the obverse near the rim at 4:00 or 8:00, sometimes spanning 1/4 of the coin's diameter or more. Many of the cameo reverse coins came from a die scratches that traverse the eagle from 1:00 to 7:00 north to south.

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    I haven't found any decent '65 sets to look at...
    ......Larry........image
  • Options

<< <i>Most of the quarters are as you describe. The coins designated cameo usually have frost break in the inner wing area close to the eagle body. All of the cameo quarters have die polish on the obverse near the rim at 4:00 or 8:00, sometimes spanning 1/4 of the coin's diameter or more. Many of the cameo reverse coins came from a die scratches that traverse the eagle from 1:00 to 7:00 north to south. >>

You're referring to the '65 quarters I presume.

There are a few nice examples without the die polish but they are tough.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    My best 1965 SMS Cameo quarter is one I found in an OGP set. Surprisingly it has very little die polish on the right obverse rim, much unlike the majority of 1965 SMS quarters.
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374

<< <i>I haven't found any decent '65 sets to look at... >>

I should say lately....It seems that the well is running dry for these sets...
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    So where are the pics???
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    There is a significant variation in the appearance of the Kennedy Halves in 1965 SMS sets. Most are frosty
    and brilliant SMS strikings while there are a minority that display true DMPL surfaces. I've always thought
    these DMPL's should bring a nice premium over the frosty examples, but I don't think the masses care
    (at this time.) These coins look like proofs (and I'm not typing about cameos either.)

What thinks you?
  • Options

<< <i>There is a significant variation in the appearance of the Kennedy Halves in 1965 SMS sets. Most are frosty
    and brilliant SMS strikings while there are a minority that display true DMPL surfaces. I've always thought
    these DMPL's should bring a nice premium over the frosty examples, but I don't think the masses care
    (at this time.) These coins look like proofs (and I'm not typing about cameos either.)

What thinks you? >>

I agree entirely.

I don't know why people don't look at the moderns. There's so much
    neat stuff out there.

These are the ones that I believe I've seen in true proof. None of these
    has had any cameo effect. They aren't scarce in PL and some are cameo.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 Cameo nickels; and

So tell me, are the steps well represented. I'm asking because I have the 66 and 67 in cameo, high grade with nice steps but not the 1965. image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Some of my best hours have been spent choosing coins for my Dansco albums. Sounds like you can add these to your capitol plastics holders or some kind of album to enjoy them even more.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file