Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

1000th post giveaway...WINNERS POSTED in 1st post

In celebration of my upcoming 1000th post I will be giving away 2 prizes. These are nothing special, just a small token of my appreciation for all the board members here. Thanks for all the help that you all have given to me over the years. I value all of you opinions.

To qualify, please post your opinion on what you think the average coin collector should be collecting to bring the most value to his/her children and grandchildren. The winners will be drawn out of a hat by my 2 year old daughter.

Posting cutoff is August 14th, 7am sharp. Drawing will be done that night, and winners posted the next morning.

1st place: Choice of 1960 Proof Franklin Half Dollar and (1) Silver Certificate, or 2000 Red Book and a surprise coin.

2nd Place: Remaining prize

Thanks again everyone.

Brian

THE WINNERS ARE -

1st place Musky1011
2nd place bootleg3

PMs sent to both for addresses. Thanks for all your comments.

Comments

• Options
    The average collector should collect what they enjoy collecting, but with one qualifier. In order to "bring value" at least in monetary terms to their children or grandchildren, they should buy the best that they could afford in attractive pieces. This way, they will have sentimental value as well as resale value.

By the way, thanks for the contest image
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Brian,

Do you mean bring the most value when you hand the collection over to your children/grandchildren, or the most value now?

Long term, hard to tell, but history says keys in the highest grade you can afford.
    Most value now, buy Mint cr@p, there always seems to be low mintage sets that go wild.

Thanks for the giveaway
  • Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    Aija,

I mean the most value in the long term for when you hand your collection over to your children/grandchildren.

Thanks for the clarification.

Brian
  • Options
    My father got me started in collecting, he had nothing of a value as in his collection but to me they are priceless(born 1918-2001). Congratulations on reaching your 1000th post and thank you for the chance on your giveaway.

Johnimage
  • Options
    dorkbardorkbar Posts: 425 ✭✭✭
    I'd estimate dates in the future you're thinking the kids/grandkids would be ready, then ask yourself what will be going on in particular series at that time. For instance, the hype surrounding the Lincoln cent for the centennial in 2009 could prove advantageous if you were properly positioned to take advantage. That's merely timing, though, and doesn't predict what will be good in the future.

You've got a good twenty years, minimum, so start buying up the classics!
  • Options
    image Congratulationsimage

I would have to say key issues and it just became true for me I bought a key issue for twenty seven hundred early this year, up until then it was the highest prize paid for a similar one then a few months later I spotted another one in the bay that went for thirty five hundred image

Congratulations I hope to one day get there and thank you for the chance.

~
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've had our differences, Brian, and I may not win, but I would like to answer your question anyway as I went through the same thing a few years ago....

Value is subjective. There is value in $ and there is value in knowledge and enjoyment.
    For the value in $, I would say silver....maybe Franklins as I think they are underappreciated and have a chance to go up sooner than some others and aren't a huge financial hit right now (unlike some others that are going up but are big $ hits).

Then, I think that silver roosevelts are cool (silver, a dime is something kids learn, and the design is still around so kids will learn it) but not sure they will go up as a "value" to anything larger in the near (5-10 year) future. Would be like putting money in a savings account vs stock market.....less fluctuation but pretty stable, I think.

Now, for value in knowledge and enjoyment....
    * A type set. Affordable doing a 20th Century type set. Then, step back and do a 19th-20th Century type set. Something to grow into and most can be had for a reasonable price. Kid gets enjoyment and learns.
    * SAEs....large, priced largely on spot silver, and will keep value close to spot silver (aside from '96)....(talking about uncs, of course).

Now, that said, if you are asking what the "adult" should collect to hand down value after he/she is gone, then I think key dates. Type set and key dates.
    1916-d merc, 1955/55 lincoln, 1909svdb (I don't like the washington quarters as I think they got too much run up from the state quarters and may come down after the SHQ series ends and people that aren't "real" collectors get out of it). Maybe a key barber quarter or two. The colonials and pre-1800 almost anything.
    Right now, I wouldn't go morgans as they also got too much runup, imho, and are soft in the overall picture.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Bochiman,

You have just as much chance to win as the next guy. I have no problems with you whatsoever.

Good luck and thanks for posting!!
  • Options
    Congradulation on your 1000k>
    The most value would be what it means to your Children/Grandchildren to get something that meant something to you at the time image
    $$$ is not everything,I enjoy the hobby and my Kids know I just have fun doing it,my Grandson on the other hand is at the age where everything is interesting to him,he is getting into all the new quarters,dollars,etc and he knows His Papa has some special coins just for him,every coin I have ever won on any of the forums gets put into his "BOX" along with a full set of RAW ASE'S,among other interesting coins, I hope that when he is old enough to appreciate the hobby,he will relize the real value of having fun collecting/trading coins. JMO> MoJo

1.key date coins
    2.i would also say any pre 1964 coins,mint/proof sets,early commemoratives,in the best grade possible, by the time they are 18-21 they will be harder to find .
    18 years from now what will the average collector be looking for?

Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Hi Brian. Nice giveaway and thanx.

I think all the old standard keys that we all should be familiar with should be collected and put away as they are all finite in mintage numbers but be certain they are not counterfeit.

This includes some of the more affordable keys such as never circulated 1987 Kennedy, the 70-D Kennedy, the Special Mint sets (65-66 & 67) the 50-D Jefferson Nickel, Type 2 79-S & 81-S DCAM Proof sets, 40-D Nickel, 1972 T-2 Ikes - coins of this nature that are still quite affordable yet very collectible. 32-D&S Quarters even in lower grades. Type B (Proof Reverse) Washington Quarters and 98-2000 Proof Reverse Lincolns.

I think that over the long haul these coins will increase in value quite nicely. I hope this qualifies as a valid reply.

Have a great day.

BOOM
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I'd say gold. Everyone can appreciate that.

Thanks for the giveaway!
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I think the various Silver Dollars. Most are still rather cheap and they are appreciated by the general public more then most coins.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    TCoinsTCoins Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Thanks for the chance.

I think no one can really go wrong collecting gold and silver coins. And if they're key dates, so much the better.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    large chunks of silver---dollars. reales,thalers are always good

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    circulated slabbed key date coins of the most common series.
  • Options
    Congrats on your 100oth post!image

I think the average collector should collect what they like first.

However..I think silver will go up in price so that in 20 years...it could pay to have some put away....also...some nice high grade Walkers and Barber halves.

All the best,
    RAH
  • Options
    Any nice collection that is put together with the intent of collecting and not investing often turns out to be a worthwhile investment. Collections from 50 years ago might not have been worth much in their day, but are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars now.

Congrats on 1k!
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    I would suggest key dates which are eye-appealing and original. Then keep them that way. Choose coins that are difficult to find now and that are frequently dipped or otherwise treated. Find the rare beauties now and they'll only go up, I should think, as the populations of rare, original coins will only go down.

I also think that well-struck, attractive, original V-nickels are always nice to have.

Just a couple thoughts...thanks for the chance!
  • Options
    Congrats on the upcoming 1000th post, and thanks for the chance. There are several moderns I think will have good value 25 years from now. The 20th Anniversary ASE set and the 2006-W ASE, any 2006-W AGE, 1999 and 20001 silver proof sets. Also the '64 AH Kennedy proof. The highest quality you can afford, would, of course, multiply the value down the road.

• Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    To qualify, please post your opinion on what you think the average coin collector should be collecting to bring the most value to his/her children and grandchildren.

Still say, "...history says keys in the highest grade you can afford."
  • Options
    Aija,

That is what my grandfather always told me before he passed. He said, "Buy all the key dates you can afford, sell the rest as it is junk."

In his opinion, I have a lot of junk as I enjoy collecting a lot of things that are not key dates. But my main investment(large value coins) are key dates.

• Options
    Congrats for 1000 and thanks for the chance. I too am of the opinion that key dates are probably the coins that will be most profitable in the long run. However teaching those whom you will pass your collection to the pleasure of collecting and the passions we have for doing what we do IMO are worth so very much more than we could ever financialy pass down. That is what we should strive to pass down.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HAPPY 1000!image

I'd go with NGC MS70 graded gold buffalos. Mint's best gold at Ebay's best price!

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    jpo1965jpo1965 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    1000 posts image morgans is the ticket raw and slabbed just found out my wife is 7 weeks pregnet imageimage thought about this very thing
    Old coins
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    The average collector should collect a certain % of what his or her income is while still being able to live a decent life-style.

As for the coins he/ she should collect depend on taste, although if you were to pass these on to your children and so on, I would say that they should collect Bust Half-Dimes, Dimes and Quarters. Also collect an assortment of the lowest mintage coins you can find in undamaged, decent condition. DEFINITELY don't collect any modern coins. They are mass produced by the millions/ billions and will never be worth anything.

I also think that early mint errors on coins will gain substancial esteem in the coming years. Many of these are still surprisingly affordable and can be found with some patience.

Anyway, thanks for the giveaway. image
  • Options
    Congrats on the 1000....Please include me and thanks for the opportunity
  • Options
    busco69busco69 Posts: 815 ✭✭
    PQ for the grade pcgs slabbed keys date coins would be a good bet. Thanks
    ''Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left''
  • Options
    In my opinion one should collect key date coins and nice, original coins that will hold their value through time; buying stuff that is messed with can only hurt its future value. Thanks for the giveaway!
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    DollarHunter,

Please read the first post and add to your post to be included in the giveaway.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Congrats and thanks for the chance. I agree with many others to buy the best quality one can afford and of course key dates will usually rise more in value than common coins. I think we should also spend some time with our family explaining a little about the coins we have....that will increase their value, not in dollars, but in memories.

• Options
    I think that for value, like everyone else said you should buy key dates, and more than likely error coins will continue to sell for large amounts. But balance monetary value with sentimental value, for instance some of my most important coins are the silver dollars from the years of my grandparents birth 1919 and 1922. So buy things that are valuable AND that commemorate important things in your life.
  • Options
    Prizes have shipped today.

Thanks for everyone's comments!
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Redbook and suprise coin were in the post today

Thanx

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    Received the Frankie and the silver cert. today.

Thanks; John