Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

any tips for crossing a NGC set to PCGS?

About 65 % of my complete Seated dime set is in NGC holders. I want to convert it all to PCGS. Does anyone have ideas?
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell off the NGC coins and go out and buy the PCGS coins to replace them.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>Sell off the NGC coins and go out and buy the PCGS coins to replace them. >>

Unfortunately i'd have to agree with him. Crossing NGC to PCGS is pretty much a waste of money IMHO. If you're deadset to get them into PCGS plastic crack them out and take whatever grade they give them.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a sure fire way to cross every NGC coin to PCGS as long as the coin is problem free.

Cross at any grade....

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a sure fire way to cross every NGC coin to PCGS as long as the coin is problem free.

Cross at any grade.... >>

...or if you put a minimum grade way low they won't crack out what won't cross at any grade. Lets say you choose G04 which is really way low becuase your coins are all MS. They don't like the color of a coin or a rim nick or something and they say it won't cross for whatever reason. At least that way the possible problem coins won't get cracked out of the other company's holder.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone has your options covered. Make sure to let us know what the results are compared to what you think the results should be. A good you suck or whine thread will get this place jumping for awhile.

Ken
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    fcloud's way is the way to go....
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Polish out all the scratches in the slabs before you submit them.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    seateddime

>>>>>About 65 % of my complete Seated dime set is in NGC holders. I want to convert it all to PCGS. Does anyone have ideas?

oh thats easy....i crossed 26 of 27 on the first time

heck im even 4 for 4 with crossing icg

all you need to do is be a a very good grader and ALWAYS BY THE COIN NOT THE PLASTIC.....

now the set presently im building i have crossed 22 of 29...from pcgs to ngc.....so ive done better crossing to pcgs than crossing to ngc...

now i have a problem with those 7 coins that ngc wont cross....and here it is........i want all my coins in ngc holders as they look so much better with a white backround....normally id crack them and submit them but the problem is i cant because i cant be sure pcgs would grade them again at the grade they are now

i had thei antietam i bought in 1999....i swore it was a monster 68....sent it to ngc 4 times over a years time....it came back 67....67....67....67...po ed at ngc i sent it to pcgs 4 times too...it came back....65....66.....64....67.....so you see its a big risk

NEVER FORGET...IF YOU HAVE THE GOODS THEY WILL GRADE EM...IF YOU DONT....THEY WONT

monsterman
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language
  • Options
    opps
    >>>oh thats easy....i crossed 26 of 27 on the first time

got the last one done the second time in
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jason,

I have had pretty good luck as far as grade goes. My problem has been coins that PCGS won't grade because of color. I like color and sometimes they don't. I think it scares them more than anything. As far as I'm concerned a seated dime should not be blast white!

I wish you the best. I have seen your set and you have some very very hard to find dimes! It will be good to see you in the PCGS camp!

Jon
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pray a lot image >>

One never knows what will happen on any given day at a TPG Service...image
  • Options
    >>>>>>>>>>< Pray a lot >>

naw

luck is when hard work and opportunity meet......get the skill and they all will cross....dont have the skill and then you have a problem

as i said i personally like my coins with a white backround....thus most all are in ngc holders....however i have several pcgs i will not submit to ngc because im afraid they wont go back into pcgs holders and some wont cross at all anyway

i live by the montra that if you dont want my coins because they are in ngc holders....you can never have the best set....thus concluding that any registry that requires all it`s coin to be of one slab only is not a valid registry at all and can not be termed the " finest"...because it isnt

monsterman

ps....buy the coin not the slab

• Options
    MercfanMercfan Posts: 700 ✭✭
    I'll just add a somewhat more optimistic reply.

If the coins in the NGC holders are accurately graded or undergraded, you may not have much to fear.

I have a very limited bit of experience doing this with two Mercs that I purchased in NGC plastic. I felt that each was a lock to get the same grade from PCGS--maybe even go up a grade. I sent them in as part of two separate submissions. One, a 1919 63-FB according to NGC, came back 64-FB in PCGS plastic. The other, a 1928 65-FB according to NGC, came back 65-FB in PCGS plastic.

I guess my point is just that if you've got nice coins in that NGC plastic, I think you can crack and submit or submit for crossing without much trepidation.

Good luck!

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the coins in the NGC holders are accurately graded or undergraded, you may not have much to fear. >>

I agree. I went 6 for 8 on my last crossover submission, and the two that didn't cross were my own fault because I missed something on each coin.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grade the coin, forget the holder! I don't care if the following coin only grades PCGS MS64FS, I'm NOT going to find a better coin with as many qualities anytime soon. EDS strike, prooflike, lustrous and frosted devices (by the way, the pedigree of this coin is Frank Corso, way back to 1995), an easy Q4 quality coin. Just like someone has already said, not all of the greatest collections ever assemble are in a registry.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Leo,

That is an awesome Jeff.

Badger
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Badger, I believe that I paid $203 to land this one, way back in 1995.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Crack-out and submit.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the coins are nice for the grade why bother? I'd just assume pay more for a nice NGC coin in a 64 holder than a so-so PCGS in the same grade. Real buyers will do the same. And like Monsterman I actually like the white background against my toned type coins, they do look better imo.

75% or more of my coins are NGC. I try to buy only the best NGC (or PCGS) coins I see. While a large number of buyers won't give them a second thought 'cause of the white holder, serious buyers will. And I only intend to sell to serious buyers. The very best seated half I own is in an NGC67 holder. It doesn't bother me in the least.

Tips for crossing if you must: let them compare the entire set at one time so at least they are comparing apples to apples. If the coins are worth less than $200 each I wouldn't spend the grading fees but would sell the NGC coins to acquire PCGS coins. But nice NGC coins are selling just fine these days. As the market goes higher the buyers will get fussier and will demand "all-there" coins in whatever holder you have. If you acquire less than solid PCGS coins, expect them to be difficult to sell as well down the road.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    >>>>>>>understanding the market dynamics>>>>>

imagine you want to start a tpg and your in the boardroom with your staff...and you say....ideas please......exactly where do we want to fit in the market place

1) grade too tuff and no dealers will support you as they cant get the grades and cant sell them for what they are worth

2) grade to loose and no dealers will support you as nobody will buy them at the grade levels

its thats simple

and the fact is....the tpg split hairs.....the " spread" IS NOT A FUL POINT....( im not talking about some of these off the wall tpg who have started in order to feed of the ebayers ....im talking about pcgs...ngc...icg...annacs)

that being said since the grade is in terms of full points....and a tpg wants to be a 1/10 point below another which will get them in the " game".....that means 9 out 10 are graded correctly and 1 is not........( according to the PRESENT grading standards....never forget the tpg are indeed ranking coins...resulting in gradeflation )

that being said when bids for sight unseen coins are out there and the if the pop of sesquis is 10 in ms 66 as a dealer you have be know that someone could hit your bid with that 1 poorly graded coin and you are stuck with a coin that will be hard to sell ...if at all....so in order to keep that from happening you have to post your bids in terms of dollars at levels that you are prepared to get stuck with the runt of the litter...........

what this does is lower the price sheet levels of all the other 9 sesquis

what this then does is get people ( who dont fully understand ) to stay away from that particular tpg

this is an utterly stupid thing to do ....and i can assure you i take full advantage of the less knowledgeable people who do not understand the market.....thus i get to buy monsters with a heck of a lot less competition bidding for them than should be

which is exactly why i have hundreds of monsters....with a heck of a lot less in them than i should have.....since my collecting expeditures has exceeded my personal monitary limits of just having fun collecting and has evolved into having to be finnacially responsible i have had to learn exactly how the market works

and i have concluded all of the above to be correct.....and....if you want to build the best set possible within your financial means....you can not do it buying only 1 companies slabs.....if you do you will pay too much and never get a shot at the entire spectrum of the coins available thus a dimished end result.......AKA.....ANYONE WHO THINKS THAT A REGISTRY WHO WILL ONLY ALLOW A CERTAIN TPG SLABS IN IT IS SUPERIOR TO ONE THAT LETS BOTH ACREDITED TPG SLABS IN IT IS JUST KIDDING THEMSELVES AS TO WHERE THEIR SET ACTUALLY RANKS IN THE ENTIRE NUMISMATIC COMMUNITY

never in a million years would i ever go on to a bourse looking at only 1 tpg slabs....its like boxing mike tyson with one hand tied behind your back.......but you know what pt barnum said....there is a sucker born every minute.....and i welcome the chance to buy monster coins with less competition

more for me and less for them..weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

monsterman

• Options
    opsssssss

bottomline

buy the coin not the holder.....its that simple.....and if you dont have the knowledge of grading yourself.....expect to pay more and get less

but if you do have the knowledge you will get more and pay less

thus....buy the book before the coin....and get edemucated

monsterman