Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

When building a #1 Finest Registry set.....

If you had all the money in the world what, how, and why would you build a registry set???
I would probably build a number one finest set of Draped Bust Dollars because I think that they are one of the most beautiful coins ever minted.
The Top grades with toning are especially appealing but you have to have lots of "dough" to assemble a set like that.
eCoinquestimage

Comments

• Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is that opportunity to acquire the coins is just as important as having the money available. While I agree with you that the Bust Dollars are one of the sets I'd love to do, the fact of the matter is that the Pogue's have most of the finest coins in their set and don't need the money. So it's on to something else... image
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Once TDN sells out because the Pogues won't, i'd swipe up his set of Seated dollars! image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    tdn

>>>>>So it's on to something else

how about this series....:-)

love to have you....on second thought....maybe not as its more compedition :-)....plus its getting hard lately as so many monsters have been salted away

monsterman
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language
  • Options
    >>>>When building a #1 Finest Registry set.....

when building the #1 finest ....you need to buy the coin not the holder......that means icg...ngc and pcgs

if you only buy ngc you cant possibly have the best as many of those are in pcgs holders.....if you buy only pcgs you cant possibly have the best as many are in ngc holders.....now here is the real problem

ngc will let you in their registry so ngc obviously can have the #1 finest set in their registry....but if you have a pcgs registry set you cant possibly have the #1 set as pcgs does not let any other slabs in their registry

thus...the #1 set is probably in the ngc registry not pcgs

collecting only one type of slab is like going to a prize fight with one hand tied behind your back....you cant possibly compete with the guy who buys the coin not the holder.....they will smoke you every time

monsterman
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language
  • Options
    yevrahyevrah Posts: 143 ✭✭
    I've gotten the Mint Set bug. Gives a variety of coins. Makes it more interseting to me.
    yevrah/harvey

ebay ID: 78terp
    ANA # R-3143946

1899 Mint Set
  • Options
    If you had all the money in the world what, how, and why would you build a registry set???

Hmmm ... tough decision ...

German Empire 1/2 Mark thru 5 Mark silver
    German Empire 20 Mark gold
    Queen Victoria Gothic coinage
    Toned Maundy sets
    what else ...

Perhaps it would be time to heat up the market for weenie coins?
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would go for a Mint State set of complete dimes set including proofs.

HecK, if I had the money I would do the whole complete U.S. coins of all denom. Stopping at 1964 of course.