Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2006-W American Gold Eagle Uncirculated - Rarity???

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
According to this eBay seller's chart, the 2006-W version of the AGE series Uncs is hands down the lowest mintage of all.

Is anyone holding on to this modern issue???

I have 4 graded sets and would appreciate your opinions.

At this point, the 2007-W according to NN is very low in sales so far.

eBay Chart Link

NN Link

Comments

• Options
    The sellers figures are outdated:

<< <i>Rounded-off sales figures for the other Uncirculated platinum, gold and silver coins are:

Single 1-ounce platinum – 1,500
    Single half-ounce platinum – 1,025
    Single tenth-ounce platinum – 2000
    Four-coin platinum Set - 2775
    Single 1-ounce gold – 7,200
    Single half-ounce gold – 6,075
    Single quarter-ounce gold – 7,150
    Single tenth-ounce gold – 12,875
    Four-coin gold set – 12,775

Single 1-ounce silver – 226,200

The rounded-off sales figures for the gold and silver coins represent sales of the coins as single coins, and in the case of the platinum and gold coins, in the four-coin sets.
    The sales figures do not include the 250,000 Uncirculated 2006-W American Eagle 1-ounce silver dollars included in the 20 th Anniversary American Eagle Silver Coin set, the 10,000 Uncirculated 2006-W American Eagle 1-ounce gold $50 coins in the 20 th Anniversary American Eagle Gold Coin set or the 20,000 examples of each of the 1-ounce gold and silver coins in the 20 th Anniversary American Eagle Gold and Silver set. >>

The 2007-W's will remain on sale at least until the end of the year.

Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    The mintage numbers may be wrong in his listing, but not by that much. Using FBL's numbers the 2006 W Gold Eagles still have the new lowest mintages for the "Uncirculated" Gold Eagles.

Total mintages of 2006 W Gold Eagles

1oz 50K......Prior low mintages 143K 2001
    1/2oz 18.8K................................ 24.1K 1991
    1/4oz 20K................................... 36.1K 1991
    1/10oz 25.7K................................ 160K 1988

It appears to me that the 2006 W Gold Eagles clearly are the new keys to the series. This does exclude the error coins of 1999.

The 1/10oz 1988 Unc Gold Eagle lists for around $250 in MS68 but the 2006 W in MS69 can be had for around $130 (although it does list for $235). Looking at the mintages the 2006 is a MUCH better deal.

Similar numbers are seen currently for the rest of the 2006 W. Time will tell where the prices end up.

I have a bunch of 2006 W 1oz PCGS MS69 Gold Eagles....If anyone was interested, I am going to list them on the B/S/T board......I sold the lower denominations easily a long time ago!
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
  • Options
    The W coins have a burnished finish and mint mark, the bullion coins do not. Comparing one to the other is like comparing a SMS Kennedy to a circulated Kennedy. They are a different set of coins and the previous minatage figured do not apply. IMO the 2007-W 1 ounce may become the key to the series since it was not included with the anniversary sets like the 2006-W.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2 cents:

More important than anything is DEMAND.

The 94-S Dime just sold for $1,900,000.00 and there are about 9 known to still exist. Why? DEMAND.
    I have a number of pattern nickels in my set from the 1800's where there were only 6-12 coins minted (and less known) and they sell for under $10,000.00 each. Why? Little demand. Hasn't changed in 100+ years.

There is little demand right now for 2006-W Gold and, hence, the coins fetch as little as 10% over issue price. Of course, that may or may not change in next 100 years.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    JoflaxJoflax Posts: 979
    My 1 cent,
    We are not really comparing apples and apples, the 91 unc gold and the 99w errors appeared before there was a collector base ,and the surviving numbers in ms69 and better are miniscule compared to the huge numbers already graded of the 2006w gold.
    I feel that the burnished unc. coins can ,and will be seen as a new series, and the value of the 2006 w will be determined by the mintage of the 2007 w and future years.
    I am waiting to see what these mintages are before deciding what to do with my 06w's.
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    FLB; I agree the 2007 W Unc 1oz may be the new key if they do not sell well this year. Since there were 30,000 "extra" 2006 W 1oz Gold Eagles minted last year between the 3 piece & 2 piece anniversary sets, it is unlikely that as many 2007 W 1oz Gold Eagles will be minted this year. On the other hand I expect the 1/2 oz, 1/4oz & 1/10oz 2006 W Unc Gold Eagles to remain the lowest minted for at least several years.

2006 was the first year the mint made an Uncirculated version of the Gold Eagles available directly from the mint to the public. These coins, as you point out, are akin to the SMS coins of 1965-1967. However, unlike the SMS coins, these have a mint mark "W" and are easily differentiated from the regular uncirculated Gold Eagle by their burnished surface.

With that said, I disagree with your statement that previous mintage figures do not apply. The fact is that neither the burnished Eagles or the regular Unc Eagles actually circulate. Their entire mintages in both cases will be preserved and given the fact that these new W Gold Eagles are a required part of the Registry I expect the demand for them to be inline with that of the regular Unc Gold Eagles.

Given this fact I believe the lower denomination 2006 W Gold Eagles will remain the keys to the series.

2006 was the inaugural year of the burnished Gold Eagles and at first their was little interest at first. A lot of money was made by those that bought quantities of the lower denomination W Gold Eagles in 2006. This fact will not be forgotten this year and if the mintage is low toward the end of the year you can bet that the orders will be flowing into the mint.

We will know if I was right by this time next year.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I tend to agree with DRG that the burnished die coins will be considered part of the same series and will be required for anyone collecting gold eagles. Personally, for instance, the burnished dies don't mean that much to me. The 'W' does! On the other hand, others with more experience than I, have pointed out that many of the 1990s and 1991s were probably destroyed for jewelry or otherwise mishandled, whereas the 'W's will have almost 100% preservation. Ultimately, the 1991s may remain the keys. I'm talking about the fractionals here...
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options

<< <i>FLB; I agree the 2007 W Unc 1oz may be the new key if they do not sell well this year. Since there were 30,000 "extra" 2006 W 1oz Gold Eagles minted last year between the 3 piece & 2 piece anniversary sets, it is unlikely that as many 2007 W 1oz Gold Eagles will be minted this year. On the other hand I expect the 1/2 oz, 1/4oz & 1/10oz 2006 W Unc Gold Eagles to remain the lowest minted for at least several years.

2006 was the first year the mint made an Uncirculated version of the Gold Eagles available directly from the mint to the public. These coins, as you point out, are akin to the SMS coins of 1965-1967. However, unlike the SMS coins, these have a mint mark "W" and are easily differentiated from the regular uncirculated Gold Eagle by their burnished surface.

With that said, I disagree with your statement that previous mintage figures do not apply. The fact is that neither the burnished Eagles or the regular Unc Eagles actually circulate. Their entire mintages in both cases will be preserved and given the fact that these new W Gold Eagles are a required part of the Registry I expect the demand for them to be inline with that of the regular Unc Gold Eagles.

Given this fact I believe the lower denomination 2006 W Gold Eagles will remain the keys to the series.

2006 was the inaugural year of the burnished Gold Eagles and at first their was little interest at first. A lot of money was made by those that bought quantities of the lower denomination W Gold Eagles in 2006. This fact will not be forgotten this year and if the mintage is low toward the end of the year you can bet that the orders will be flowing into the mint.

We will know if I was right by this time next year. >>

Using your analogy of using the mintage of coins issued as bullion to compare the mintage of coins sold as collector pieces would make the 1999-W the undisputed low mintage key of both the $5 & $10 AGE's

• Options
    << Rounded-off sales figures for the other Uncirculated platinum, gold and silver coins are:

The rounded-off sales figures for the gold and silver coins represent sales of the coins as single coins, and in the case of the platinum and gold coins, in the four-coin sets.
    The sales figures do not include the 250,000 Uncirculated 2006-W American Eagle 1-ounce silver dollars included in the 20 th Anniversary American Eagle Silver Coin set, the 10,000 Uncirculated 2006-W American Eagle 1-ounce gold $50 coins in the 20 th Anniversary American Eagle Gold Coin set or the 20,000 examples of each of the 1-ounce gold and silver coins in the 20 th Anniversary American Eagle Gold and Silver set. >>

Those Numbers Are Suspect!! They were whipped off by a Coin World Reporter with NO ATTRIBUTED Source.

Dave Harper of NN does weekly tallies and is a trusted reporter of these sales. He has NEVER mentioned these suspect numbers.

Even EBay Platinum 2006 W Sales activity from release date to now, counters this!

NO WAY ARE THESE NUMBERS even close to correct.

Bogus Sales Numbers

Coin World's numbers are obviously incomplete. No Returns? Hmmm...

The very FACT these are rounded numbers should tell you that they are NOT based on "real" Mint Final Sales!

As evidence, I point to the FINAL numbers given us Officially on the US Mint Site of the past Sales (Proof Plats, Gold and Silver).

Final Sales numbers are NEVER round. NEVER!

Even if Bullion Sales are updated by the Mint on the US Mint site, like the 2005 Proof Plats, as they change, they are NEVER Rounded.

However if they keep getting repeated as in this thread, soon they are offered as FACT.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My 1 cent,
    We are not really comparing apples and apples, the 91 unc gold and the 99w errors appeared before there was a collector base ,and the surviving numbers in ms69 and better are miniscule compared to the huge numbers already graded of the 2006w gold.
    I feel that the burnished unc. coins can ,and will be seen as a new series, and the value of the 2006 w will be determined by the mintage of the 2007 w and future years.
    I am waiting to see what these mintages are before deciding what to do with my 06w's. >>

Using your analogy of using the mintage of coins issued as bullion to compare the mintage of coins sold as collector pieces would make the 1999-W the undisputed low mintage key of both the $5 & $10 AGE's >>

Correct , but if you are looking at ms69 and better then the 91 $10 has a lower population and the 1988 1/10 (plus others early 1/10 oz) have lower pops than the 99w
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options

<< <i><< Rounded-off sales figures for the other Uncirculated platinum, gold and silver coins are:

Those Numbers Are Suspect!! They were whipped off by a Coin World Reporter with NO ATTRIBUTED Source.

Dave Harper of NN does weekly tallies and is a trusted reporter of these sales. He has NEVER mentioned these suspect numbers.

Even EBay Platinum 2006 W Sales activity from release date to now, counters this!

NO WAY ARE THESE NUMBERS even close to correct.

Bogus Sales Numbers

Coin World's numbers are obviously incomplete. No Returns? Hmmm...

The very FACT these are rounded numbers should tell you that they are NOT based on "real" Mint Final Sales!

As evidence, I point to the FINAL numbers given us Officially on the US Mint Site of the past Sales (Proof Plats, Gold and Silver).

Final Sales numbers are NEVER round. NEVER!

Even if Bullion Sales are updated by the Mint on the US Mint site, like the 2005 Proof Plats, as they change, they are NEVER Rounded.

However if they keep getting repeated as in this thread, soon they are offered as FACT. >>

Not quite, the figures reported by Coin World were based on rounded-off, not yet finally audited, sales figured released June 5th by the Mint as stated in the article that reported them. The figures reported by Numismatic News have not been updated since March. i put more faith in the Coin World published numbers, but your right. It's not over until the mint director sings.

• Options
    Using your analogy of using the mintage of coins issued as bullion to compare the mintage of coins sold as collector pieces would make the 1999-W the undisputed low mintage key of both the $5 & $10 AGE's

I agree, they are the LOWEST mintage, but not everyone collects errors. The 2006 W coins are regular issue and part of the Registry, not the error coins. With that said, the 1/2oz coin does not have a low mintage error in the series. I think this is the reason the 2006 W 1/2oz coins sold faster than any of the other denominations (at least in my experience).

FBL; You say the W coins are apples and oranges compared to the regular gold eagles but then say that the 2007 W 1oz Gold Eagle WILL be the key???? Do you think the W coins are part of the series or not?
  • Options

<< <i>Using your analogy of using the mintage of coins issued as bullion to compare the mintage of coins sold as collector pieces would make the 1999-W the undisputed low mintage key of both the $5 & $10 AGE's

I agree, they are the LOWEST mintage, but not everyone collects errors. The 2006 W coins are regular issue and part of the Registry, not the error coins. With that said, the 1/2oz coin does not have a low mintage error in the series. I think this is the reason the 2006 W 1/2oz coins sold faster than any of the other denominations (at least in my experience).

FBL; You say the W coins are apples and oranges compared to the regular gold eagles but then say that the 2007 W 1oz Gold Eagle WILL be the key???? Do you think the W coins are part of the series or not? >>

The 1999-W is not considered a Mint error by many leading athorities in the field and is also reported in the AGE population of both PCGS and NGC and are not slabbed as mint errors. I think the 2007-W may become the key of the 1oz burnished AGE's which I consider to be a different series than the bullion AGE's

• Options
    PCGS slabs them as errors, there is another post on the first page with a picture
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Sort-of related (but didn't want to start a new thread on it)
    The prices for the pf70's have dropped big time! (from when I last saw the prices in December) Stinky Linky
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS slabs them as errors, there is another post on the first page with a picture >>

I see that, though many consider them as variety of the 1999 AGE's

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS slabs them as errors, there is another post on the first page with a picture >>

I see that, though many consider them as variety of the 1999 AGE's >>

which they are, but at 5X the price and 5X the rarity, and both the 99 and 99 w are required separately in the registry
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was collecting Lincolns, I never knew what a Matte Proof was, but it's still part of the same series to me. Likewise, the 2006-Ws are part of the same series to me. I guess I'm just not that discriminating in how I collect. I do feel that it is true that the mintage numbers for the 2007-Ws will have an impact on the values for the 2006-Ws, likewise - so will the 2008-Ws and so on..........
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "a smarter collecting public is watching and waiting on the Sales and Mintage figures of the 2007 W Unc's (Gold, Silver, Plat) before pulling the trigger with conviction."

True: but the "smartest" collecting public could be waiting for 2008 mintage figures or 2009 or 2010.....

The MS69 20th Anniv First Strike $50 Gold Eagle from the 3-pc 20th Anniv Gold set sells for a few dollars more than the non-20th Anniv FS $50 2006(w) gold pieces or any other dated $50 Gold Eagle in the series. Why? Little demand right now for the coins - it is as simple as that. Even though the coin has a mintage of roughly 50,000 (nearly 100,000 fewer than next lowest minted coin) - no one seems to care right now. I personally doubt they would have cared if the mintage was 20,000-25,000 fewer on the $50's (look at $5 2006(w) Gold trading at about $15 over mint issue price a year later at this point).

Do I wish demand will pick up soon - of course. Do I think the $10 and $25 coins in particular, and possibly the $5 coin, are mild "sleepers" in the eagle series down the road - sure do. Now, all we need is the broad collector base to get interested in these coins - but, that could take time. Heck, coins like the 8,000-10,000 mintage 2001-2002 Proof Plats still trade around melt to this day.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>"a smarter collecting public is watching and waiting on the Sales and Mintage figures of the 2007 W Unc's (Gold, Silver, Plat) before pulling the trigger with conviction."

True: but the "smartest" collecting public could be waiting for 2008 mintage figures or 2009 or 2010.....

The MS69 20th Anniv First Strike $50 Gold Eagle from the 3-pc 20th Anniv Gold set sells for a few dollars more than the non-20th Anniv FS $50 2006(w) gold pieces or any other dated $50 Gold Eagle in the series. Why? Little demand right now for the coins - it is as simple as that. Even though the coin has a mintage of roughly 50,000 (nearly 100,000 fewer than next lowest minted coin) - no one seems to care right now. I personally doubt they would have cared if the mintage was 20,000-25,000 fewer on the $50's (look at $5 2006(w) Gold trading at about $15 over mint issue price a year later at this point).

Do I wish demand will pick up soon - of course. Do I think the $10 and $25 coins in particular, and possibly the $5 coin, are mild "sleepers" in the eagle series down the road - sure do. Now, all we need is the broad collector base to get interested in these coins - but, that could take time. Heck, coins like the 8,000-10,000 mintage 2001-2002 Proof Plats still trade around melt to this day.

Wondercoin >>

Ultra Modern 69's of any series rarely trade over what they cost and are usually a losing proposition. On the other hand, top-pop key coins are always in demand.

• Options
    Latest 4 coin AGE Unc. set NGC MS70 flops on eBay......I'm beginning to think that NGC does not have anywhere near the same clout as PCGS when it comes to grading ASE/AGE coinage.

This is ugly image
  • Options
    When you look at the NGC 2006-W population and see they have graded more 70's than 69's, that should give you a good idea of their grading standards for AGE's

• Options

<< <i>When you look at the NGC 2006-W population and see they have graded more 70's than 69's, that should give you a good idea of their grading standards for AGE's >>

COULD YOU TELL ME THE NUMBER OF pcgs MS69 2006w HALF OUNCE GOLD EAGLES that are out there?. THANKS!
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>When you look at the NGC 2006-W population and see they have graded more 70's than 69's, that should give you a good idea of their grading standards for AGE's >>

COULD YOU TELL ME THE NUMBER OF pcgs MS69 2006w HALF OUNCE GOLD EAGLES that are out there?. THANKS! >>

3,841 MS69
    1,074 MS70
  • Options
    WOW! 3,841 graded in MS69 by PCGS! Thats a lot!!! I guess it wont be a key date for the half ounce one thats for sure!.
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file