Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Dan Close Lincoln Registry Sale brings record breaking prices

Congratulations, Dan! Only 2 or 3 coins in the 1909-1958 set didn't make reserve.

What a showing!

Some examples (including the 15% buyers fee "juice":

1911D MS66R: $16,100
1914 MS66R $8050
1917S MS65R $36,800
1918S MS65R $37,970
1917 DDO (Die 1) MS-66R $48,300
1922 No D MS64BN $48,300
1925S MS64R $10,925
1931D MS66R $10063
1936 DDO (Die 1) $19378
1935S MS67R $23,000
1957 MS67R $12,075
1969 DDO MS-64RB $85,100

There were many more records broken and I've named only a few.

For those who have written here that the heydays for Lincoln Cents have passed, I'm afraid the demise has been reported prematurely.

Ira

Dealer/old-time collector

Comments

• Options

Wow!

For those who have written here that the heydays for Lincoln Cents have passed, I'm afraid the demise has been reported prematurely.

You said it, Ira!!
    Dan has to be happy with those numbers.

Jack

• Options
    Excellent results! image I'm happy for Dan and the new owners.

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    WOW, those results are incredible. Dan must be on Cloud 9 right now. image
  • Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    Wow,
    Congrats to Dan,
    I wish I had won some of his coins...
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Dan!!! The prices brought by some were incredible!

The 90 No S hammered at $20,700 which is also a record. Where's Steve???
    Doug
  • Options
    CONGRATULATIONS Dan! The finest set deserves the BEST results. Thanks Ira for sharing these results.
    Mike.
    Someday REAL American HERO's will be on our COINS.
    imageimage
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phenomenal results. Very impressive! image
  • Options
    Results of the auction were amazing. It appears tht 146 of 149 of the coins in the 1909-1958 Varieties set sold at about 113% of PCGS retail value! Congratulations Dan. And ditto 2 Ira's comments. The Lincoln market appears to be going strong.

Also, this is my very first post to this or any PCGS forum. I would like to introduce myself. My name is Scott and I (and my son) are the proud owners of the Corwin Family Collection of Lincoln Cents (#5 Current Finest Basic Set and #3 Current Finest Varieties). We've been reading the message boards for several years, and are glad to join in.

Scott

LuckyLincolns
    Former Owner of the Corwin Family Collection
    #1 All Time Finest Lincoln Cents Collections (1909-Present) at time of Retirement 8-21-08: Date Set, Basic Set, Classic Set and Major Varieties

Collecting Lincolns has been an honor, privilege and an adventure
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Welcome aboard brother, how you?
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

LUCKYLINCOLNS
    A big image to you.

You picked a great thread to debut.

Congratulations to Dan Close for building such a memorable set and for a successful auction.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to Dan! When you collect quality coins, it pays off in spades when it's time to sell (just like here).

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Thanks for welcoming me aboard. Doing fine. BTW I purchased 5 of Dan's coins, including the 17 DDO! Makes a great addition to our Varieties set. Check it out.

Corwin Family Collection Lincoln Cents Varieties 1909-1958 #3 Current Finestimage
    LuckyLincolns
    #1 All Time Finest Lincoln Cents Collections (1909-Present) at time of Retirement 8-21-08: Date Set, Basic Set, Classic Set and Major Varieties

• Options

Scott,
    That's a very impressive collection of wheaties. I welcome you and your son to the PCGS Forum.

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    CONGRATULATIONS DAN!

Dan Close is a stand-up guy and he deserves every bit of what those coins sold for. What an exciting time for him.

As most of you know, I sold off my entire wheat set about 3 weeks ago (which is probably worth 1/20 of what Dan's was worth image ). I'm proud to say that I recovered every "penny" that I put into the set and then close to another 10%. With that said, LINCOLNS ARE STRONG if you collect QUALITY coins. It will be interesting to see what my memorials bring later this month when I finally get around to listing them.

Sad to see such a top notch lincoln collector go...but I (as well as many other around here) cannot wait to see what Dan decides to dip his feet into next. He is sure to make a HUGE splash in whatever series he decides to pursue!

I'm on vacation right now, but I cannot wait to get back and review these auctions ONE by ONE. Cool stuff.
  • Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    209 1951 Lincoln Cent. MS-66 RD (PCGS). $633.00

Someone looking for a crackout?
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

I was able to aquire one of Dan's coins. Congrats on your sale results and thanks for this gem MPL cent! Lot #90 (not for sale)

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to Dan Close on his VERY successful auction. I was particularly interested in how the complete set of Lincoln proofs with varieties did since I too own all 82 coins. Of course, my set would be hard pressed to equal 5% to 10% of the value his has achieved. Anyway, here is the breakdown I calulated for the 82 coins.

Matte Proofs:
    VDB $46,000
    other 8 matte 37,548
    Total $83,548

17 other Wheat $58,852

total 26 Wheat $142,400

1990 no S $20,700

55 other Memorial $48,813

82 Total coins $211,913

Congratulations again, Dan.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "55 other Memorial $48,813"

Wasn't the Memorial cent collection an "all or nothing" deal? Did it sell as a lot?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    The 69-S was more than a double for Dan. Great result (especially for a coin that was "fixed").
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great result (especially for a coin that was "fixed"). >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I noticed a few errors in my previous analysis of the sale (this is exclusive of proofs):

1. 100% of the wheat coins sold
    2. The net gain on 149 coins was $82,614 above PCGS prices or 112.29% of PCGS prices
    3. 89 coins sold for $112,369 above PCGS prices or 128.55% of PCGS prices
    4. 60 coins sold for $29,755 below PCGS prices or 89.33% of PCGS prices
    5. Clearly the gains far outweighed and were far larger individually than the losses

As soon as I figure out how to do it I will attach an excel spread sheet showing the individual breakdown of the coins sales in terms of absolute dollar and percentage change versus current PCGS prices.

Again, thanks to everyone for welcoming me to the boards.

Scott

Corwin Family Collection #3 Lincoln Cents With Varieties Circulation Strikes (1909-1958)

Corwin Family Collection #5 Lincoln Cents Basic Set Circulation Strikes (1909-1958)image
    LuckyLincolns

• Options

<< <i>"55 other Memorial $48,813"

Wasn't the Memorial cent collection an "all or nothing" deal? Did it sell as a lot?

Wondercoin >>

Hi Mitch,
    When Steve mentioned 55 other Memorials, I believe he's referring to Dan's proofs that sold. He sold 26 wheaties, 55 Memorials, and the 1990 no s for a total of 82 proofs. The Memorial Cent collection, being sold as a lot, appears not to have sold. I base this information from the Bowers and Merena website. I hope the set will now be sold individually. I can afford at least one or two. Maybe Dan will let the Forum know what will happen next.

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Mitch, Michael is correct. My calculations were for the 82 proof Lincolns sold ONLY. Steveimage
  • Options

Did any of the board members attend the sale? I am curious to know if there were many "collectors" in attendance or if most of the lots were bought by dealers. Were there any bidding wars? Please, tell me everything!! I couldn't make the trip and it pains me to hear that it was such a great event.

Do tell....

Jack

• Options
    Hi Jack:

I was one of the active bidders on about 10 lots in the wheaties non proof sales. I was bidding via phone live bidding. My representative advised me that there were at least 5 active phone bidders and about 5 or 6 active floor bidders. There were multiple bidders on many of the lots, especially on some of the higher end high demand coins. So I am at least one non dealer that was involved in the bidding. I believe there were other collectors involved from what I was told by my representative.

In case you didn't see above, I am very new to these boards, this is my first thread and my fourth post. I have been reading the boards for years, but decided to join now.

Scott

Corwin Family Collection #3 Current Finest Lincoln Cents With Varieties Circulation Strikes (1909-1958)

Corwin Family Collection #5 Current Finest Lincoln Cents Basic Set Circulation Strikes (1909-1958)image
    LuckyLincolns

• Options
    Jack, almost forgot. There were substantial bidding wars in many of the lots. I was involved in several.

Scottimage
    LuckyLincolns

• Options
    Congrats Dan!!

One of the toughest coins went for one of the lowest prices, the 67rd 70-s sd for only $2K. What a steal. I wish I had bid. (Although I don't know what the coin looked like in person).

Fudge fudge fudge on the 53-d for $7400. I recently sold mine (likely a nicer coin too) for $4500. Where were these people when I posted mine for sale.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Welcome to the forum Scott. It's great to have another Lincoln Cent collector here especially someone with such a collection.
  • Options
    Well is has been quite a while since I have been here, but here I am. I just thought I'd chime in here, since someone asked if anyone attended the Dan Close Lincoln Cent auction. I was there and participated (to a much lesser degree!) in the bidding "wars" on Saturday. Surprisingly, at least to me, there were really not that many people in attendance of the live auction. The room was far from full, that's for sure. My guess is that perhaps about 30-40 people attended the floor auction. There were a few of these folks who were on the phone with their clients during the proceedings. I do recall one phone bidder in particular who secured several of Dan's coins.

Obviously, as was told here already, Dan's 1909-1958 business strike set, plus all the individual variety and proof coins did amazingly well! I sat near a gentleman from the St. Louis area during the auction. We spoke before the auction began. He told me that he was there to get three particular coins, and that he was determined to get them. Well, this gentleman did not get any one of those three coins! As he told me later, he never anticipated the prices would go so high. The coins he was interested in were all better dates and bidding was fierce on anything resembling a key/semi-key date. As we all know by now, many coins set records for the prices the fetched. I was fortunate to have secured a couple of Dan's coins, but neither of these were "big hitters", but lovely, regardless! I sat down Friday afternoon and looked at several of Dan's coins, prior to Saturday's auction. I can honestly say that I didn't see a coin that I thought was over-graded. I thought that every coin I looked at was solid for the grade. A totally amazing PQ set of Lincolns, just phenomenal! I feel fortunate to have been able to get the ones I did.

In my estimation, I think that perhaps the reason more people weren't in attendance of this auction was because, like for me as well, they might have anticipated that many of the coins would be "out of sight" in terms of what they might have been willing to pay. It was obvious that some bidders came there with the mind of bidding very strongly. My attendance was mostly that of spectator and it was a lot of fun to see how much these PQ Lincoln cents were sought after. My collection will never compare to the likes of Dan's set, but it is a good feeling to know that for those of us who do collect Lincolns, they are still alive and doing very well, indeed!

Dan is to be commended for having assembled a Lincoln cent collection (and keep in mind, he attained EVERY SINGLE COIN, including varieties!) that we will probably never see the likes of again. We can all admire the quality of which Dan sought in building this fine collection. Congratulations, Dan! A wonderful collection to now be enjoyed by future generations of collectors!

Tom Schiera
  • Options

Scott and Tom, thanks for the reports. Scott, sounds like quite a feat to have secured 5 choice lots. You must have went at it pretty hard. If I would have made it to the sale, I would have had the same approach, but for fewer coins. I usually can only afford one or two coins at a sale like that. I pick my one or two lots and then just go hard at them. Sounds like that approach may have even failed at this auction!! It's good to see the strong prices, except when I'm buying image

Jack

• Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Tom, long time - how ya doin'?

Must have been fun to see all thoose coins going off.............image
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Congratulations, Dan! Only 2 or 3 coins in the 1909-1958 set didn't make reserve.

What a showing!

Some examples (including the 15% buyers fee "juice":

1911D MS66R: $16,100
    1914 MS66R $8050
    1917S MS65R $36,800
    1918S MS65R $37,970
    1917 DDO (Die 1) MS-66R $48,300
    1922 No D MS64BN $48,300
    1925S MS64R $10,925
    1931D MS66R $10063
    1936 DDO (Die 1) $19378
    1935S MS67R $23,000
    1957 MS67R $12,075
    1969 DDO MS-64RB $85,100

There were many more records broken and I've named only a few.

Ira >>

Send this msg to OLSON.....I would love to see his head spin over this one!

TorinoCobra71
  • Options

<< <i>he attained EVERY SINGLE COIN, including varieties! >>

Yes he did, as he attained his missing 1982 varieties from me about a year ago. (It is still dumb that pcgs doesn't put them in the registry set(s)). I didn't see them in the auction. They wouldn't sell for much anyway. Wait, did Dan have the 2005 and 2006 Lincolns in business strikes? I guess we could forgive him for that.

• Options
    LR,
    If PCGS would ever recognize the business strikes from 05 & 06, I'm sure Dan would have ms68 examples.

That is, if ROBORICK would give them up. image No, I doubt that he would.

RegistryNut image