Home Metal Detecting
Options

Another Newbie Question...

First of all, thanks for all of your tips on how to begin (From my other post) I'll update you if and when I get a MD...
Here's a question though. How deep does a MD read? Do different sounds appear for different metals? Any other answers to basic questions would help also. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    >>How deep does a MD read?<<
    Top of the line unit may hit a coin at 12 inch...6 to 8 inch would be good on a mid range unit.
    I have got a wheat cent at 5 to 6 inch on my Prizm 2!

>>Do different sounds appear for different metals?<<
    On the better units--Yes. Tone ID is nice.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I have an XLT which is by all consideration a mid-range detector despite its price range. I've dug coins at 9 inches or so. I'm not complaining at all, I love the machine and never plan to put it down, but the only reason I bought it is because I found it used, still under warranty, with an extra coil, a Bullseye II pinpointer, and tons of other extras for $500. Some XLT users may argue that it is a mid-range machine, but honestly, it's upper mid-range at best when comparing it to top of the line detectors.

As for depth in general, a lot depends on the machine, but a lot depends on the hunting environment. Sand will typically be depth friendly, giving a MDist an inch or two of extra depth. General rule, the harder the ground, the swallow the readings, but this isn't necessarily the case. I live in hard Georgia clay, and frequently detect at 9 inches, even deeper for larger relics. Hope this helps.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    My deepest find with my Ace 250 was nearly 14 inches (after I had some soil off from a shallower target) and it turned out to be a toy cap pistol but not whole. I don't know why kids have to break their toys.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".