Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I need advice with inserting coins into a Whitman

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
When I put my statehood quarters in the Whitman folders, they are very difficult to insert. I've inserted coins into albums for years, but these punchouts on the Whitman's are too small or something. I know once they are inserted they aren't coming out very easily and that is a plus. But what is the best advice for getting these coins in to the slot ? By the time I get done with each state my hands get cramped. I've been using a rounded awl with a worn out T-shirt so I don't damage the coins, but it literally takes a tool to get them in there... Any pointers ?

~joe collector~

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put an old worn coin in first. Use another intermediate iff necessary.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>Put an old worn coin in first. Use another intermediate if necessary. >>

imageimage Now, that is a simple fix. Thanks.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

i just can't picture using that type of housing of my coins, i would be nervous of the folders chemical makeup and possible future contamination. not to mention 'rub' on the edges of the coins. jmho.

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

<< <i>i just can't picture using that type of housing of my coins, i would be nervous of the folders chemical makeup and possible future contamination. not to mention 'rub' on the edges of the coins. jmho.

image >>

I pulled a few and sent them in to PCGS for grading. All are MS 63, 64, 65 and 66. These were Pennsylvania, Delaware, Georgia, New York, Wisconsin... (random samplings)... Nothing but widgets. The mint charges me forty cents per piece and I pay about $20 per piece to test my grading skills. It's a hobby (and a lesson in economic suicide). I bought a few dozen folders for the entire series with a determination that by the time 2009 rolled around, I could give one to each of my brothers and sisters for their family.

They're just coins, man. The horizon is wide... don't be nervous. I have at least 140 of each state in P/D in mint sewn bags and rolls that are still unopened in case these get destroyed image

My doctor wrote me a prescription for this disease, but the mint calls it a "subscription".

Dislcaimer:
    (this message was not intended as spam)
  • Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    I agree with ya Joe, it is a literal pain in the hands to get those rascals in there. I've just about quit useing them and gone to all dansco's.
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    BRdude...
    I do have one Harris Folder (it's black and very eloquent looking). Similar in design to the Dansco, I put the top of the line coin of each state i find in that folder for special keepsakes.

Along the way I find a few oddities.

The 8's in the date of this coin has, what I learned here are called "die chip" errors. (thanks Mike).
    I have no idea of the value, but coins like this I just set aside.

I'm a WANNABE if it means I end up like Rick Snow.

He has an EagleEye image for coins like Ken Potter. Dedication just blows me away. I wish I had full time to devote to coins. Real life is hard. That's why coins are a hobby for me. It's a break away from the grind and they're fun. A little expensive nowadays just to play, but... Some day I hope to open a roll that has errors which only happened ten times or less. Maybe ten mules struck on small dollar planchets or some ridiculous thing image

A spiked head maybe ? image

Thank you for responding, too. I Like COINS
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've actually put my thumb through a Whitman a couple of times. The little buggers can be a real p-i-t-a.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

BINGO!
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file