Home Metal Detecting

Novice Right of Way Questions

I have always heard about Cave-In-Rock State Park in IL since I was a child and my father took me there. I know that there were a lot of ships that lost treasure while being plundered by bandits who took up residence in the cave that made them famous. I am also aware that you can not metal detect in a state park.

What I have heard and where my question lies.

I have heard that divers have been known to find several gold coins in the river and people have been known to find coins when the river level is low. With the current drought situation the river level is pretty low.

How far would a person have to be out in the dried up river bed before they would not be in state park right of way? I want to do some searching near there but don't want to be prosecuted for using a metal detector in a state park obviously.

I currently have two detectors but haven't used them very much and am still learning. I have a newer Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II and an older Whites Model 6000/DI series 2 from the early 80's (a little banged up from when I was a kid but still kicking lol).

Does anyone have any suggestions for trying to hunt in that area or anything other advice they might give a novice?

Thanks image
I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

Comments

• You better be careful....talk to the park rangers and see what they allow...since they will be the ones to arrest you..image

Here, in Ga..I was told we had to be 200 yds from the perimeter of the grounds....
  • Depending on the ranger, he might allow you reguardless. I know a lot of states the law states "Up to the discrestion of the park ranger" or "Check in with the rangers office prior" things like that.
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Someone posted this here a while back, but I can't remember who.
    http://www.fmdac.org/parks/parks.htm

Looks like Ill. is ok with a park office permit.
    As always...when in doubt, ask.
  • direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    Thanks got the number looked up for them and going to give a call in the morning. With the current drought conditions I've had a renewed interest in finding sites that would normally be underwater that are now accessible. I went out to a very nice spot today and got about ten minutes in before a sever thunderstorm rolled in.... go figure right.

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.