Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Zimbabwe unveils 200,000 dollar note

New note still sour

The central bank of Zimbabwe unveiled a new 200,000 dollar note Tuesday, double the face value of what had been the highest denomination bill in a country where the inflation rate is 4,500 percent.

The Reserve Bank said the new 200,000 Zimbabwe dollar bill was for “convenience” in business and individual transactions.

The bill is worth $13 at the official exchange rate or $1 at the dominant black market rate. With five bills a Zimbabwean millionaire can buy a handful of scarce food items.

1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole

Comments

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always wanted to be a millionaire.
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Once the currency gets that out of control, it's only a matter of time until the whole system just up and dies.
  • Options
    Well, still a way to go if they are looking for the world record.

If memory serves German pre-WW II denominations crossed the billion mark mark. image
    Roy

• Options
    Didn't some country just take off 3 zeros from their dollars, from 200,000 to 200 just so it didn't look as bad? I seem to remember that happening a few years back.
  • Options
    Mexico did that in 1992.

In 2005 Turkey took 5 zeros off its currency, and the 10-million lira coins became worth only 100 new lira!
    Roy

• Options
    dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Once the currency gets that out of control, it's only a matter of time until the whole system just up and dies. >>

In Zimbabwe's case, it won't be much longer. There is hardly any jobs and everyone there are starving. And the senile leader of that country is in a state of denial. He'll be gone soon.

DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.