Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any good local shows in Texas???

I'm thinking about setting up a table at show but have never done that before. Are any of the local shows better than the others? DFW area would be the best, since that's where I am, but I could also drive down to Houston (free place to stay) and would even consider San Antonio (but no free place to stay). Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    tri-star does 2 a year at george brown here in houston. Don't know of any others.
  • Options
    does tri-star still do those shows? They have canceled many shows and are cutting back to only 4 or 5 shows per year
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    From what I saw on an earlier post, they are cutting the DFW show and keeping the Houston show. I would love to do one of those if the price wasn't too high, but I was really thinking more of the local mall/hotel type shows. Beckett shows a few in Arlington, Sherman, Irving, etc., but I've never been to one of those.
  • Options
    Contact this guy - Ask for Larry. He does a show in Houston, San Antonio and Arlington about every 2-3 months and usually has a few autograph guests there. He's been doing it for about 20 years!

Sports Collectibles of Houston
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Contact this guy - Ask for Larry. He does a show in Houston, San Antonio and Arlington about every 2-3 months and usually has a few autograph guests there. He's been doing it for about 20 years!

Sports Collectibles of Houston >>

I agree. I'm in San Antonio, and Larry Dluhy's shows are consistently the best ones i've been to, other than Tri-Star. He normally does a show here in San Antonio (Live Oak) around the same time as the Tri-Star Houston summer show (June-July), and usually gets some out-of-town dealers who are going to the Tri-Star show to come over and also do his Live Oak show. He also gets pro athletes to appear and sign autographs.

Steve
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Larry is a good guy. Waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day, I use to go to his shop on West Belfort and Chimney Rock.

TriStar will continue the two shows per year in Houston. I'm hoping/praying with the DFW shows shut down, the Houston shows will be significantly better.

Only time will tell.

: crosses fingers :
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Larry is a good guy. Waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day, I use to go to his shop on West Belfort and Chimney Rock.

TriStar will continue the two shows per year in Houston. I'm hoping/praying with the DFW shows shut down, the Houston shows will be significantly better.

Only time will tell.

: crosses fingers : >>

How long ago was that? I used to live right by West Belfort and Post Oak, but I was pretty young (like 1 year old!).
  • Options
    He closed that shop about 2 or 3 years ago, but now has another shop on Beechnut near Gessner. However, you usually won't find him there as his wife and partner run the shop. He schedules and organizes the shows and I guess that keeps him pretty busy.
  • Options
    Is there still a sports bar on Gessner called SRO's? I think it was Gessner.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How long ago was that? I used to live right by West Belfort and Post Oak, but I was pretty young (like 1 year old!). >>

Gosh, the last time I may have been 8 or 9? So about 25 years ago image We would buy some cards and then eat at Jack-in-the-Box.

I became a regular customer of HLT&T, which was walking distance rather than biking it. After 3 or 4 years of giving them my weekly allowance, they tried to rip me off and never walked in their doors again.

Edited to add:

<< <i>s there still a sports bar on Gessner called SRO's? I think it was Gessner. >>

No, it closed down a couple of years ago. It's now at Northline Mall, at 290 and 610...
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    I went to that summer Live Oak show and outside of one dealer, zero had any decent vintage football, and if not for him, would have been a complete waste of time in my opinion. And I saw very little in terms of decent baseball either before 1980.
  • Options
    Drew,

Are you from KC? That's where I grew up (still huge Royals/Chiefs fan).
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    nope, sorry. just a huge University of Alabama and Derrick Thomas fan.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I went to that summer Live Oak show and outside of one dealer, zero had any decent vintage football, and if not for him, would have been a complete waste of time in my opinion. And I saw very little in terms of decent baseball either before 1980. >>

If you're referring to the one a couple months ago, yes, that one was the worst one I've seen here. Main problem was that Sportsfest was the same weekend in I think Chicago, and several of the dealers Larry usually gets went there insteadimage I walked into the show here, did one lap around the hall, and kept going right out the door without ever stoppingimage

Steve