Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1999D Lincoln cent, struck twice in collar and rotated

Just an oddity that I ran across while searching some circulated rolls of Lincoln cents

Used a 2002D Lincoln cent for overlays showing the rotation.

Now to find out if there is a possibility that this was made from "soft"dies.

BJ Neff

BJ Neff

Member of: CONECA, Coppercoins, CFCC, FUN and NCADD. Retired Submariner Service, 21 years.

The opinions that I express do not necessarily reflect those of the organizations that I am a member of.

Comments

• Options
    gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    awesome
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Good to see you here BJ! image
    Ed
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Sweet !
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice find
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    That's hella sweet!!!! She gonna get slabbed??
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice find.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    23Pairer23Pairer Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard! Great find, and quite awesome media work!
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Congrats, that's a very cool find.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    cswcsw Posts: 432
    What accounts for the different dates? Did the original (1999) version fall into a hopper of blanks in 2002? Or...

Tiger trout, Deerfield River, c. 2001.

• Options

<< <i>What accounts for the different dates? Did the original (1999) version fall into a hopper of blanks in 2002? Or... >>

That is what I was wondering at first until I reread the thread. The 2002 was just used for a digital overlay.
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    You found that in a roll? You suck! image
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killer find.
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Very cool find.

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    One of the coolest memorial cents i've ever seen. Thanks for posting itimage
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage but just dont look right.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    I can do one better... There's a 1911 D Barber Dime RESTRUCK by 1943 S Cent Dies in the Collection.
    My goodness, that thing is crazy. I will post pics if I can find the time tomorrow.
    Here at the ANA Museum we're getting ready for Milwaukee! It will be an awesome show!
    The Petition Crown is ready to go (I carried it today) (!) and the case for the Mints display of GOLD Sac's will be ready to go soon.
    I hope to see many of you there!
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaching!
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    that coin is flawed so let me get rid of it for you.image
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but it doesn't look genuine to me.

Photoshop??? I don't know, but I don't like it.

If you're going to the ANA next week, I'd love
    to see it in person ...
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

image coin

i hope fred gets a look at it!

keep us posted andimage

wavysteps2003
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    You definitely suck. Great find image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you please reshoot full obverse and reverse without the overlay?
    Tom DeLorey
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I guess the overlay picture has thrown a few people off. My fault, I kind of hid the fact between the pictures. As you requested Tom, here are two shots of the obverse and reverse.

I will admit that the overlays are not exact and do not fit percise. The obverse secondary image is off 1 degree (69 instead of 70 degrees) in rotation. I haven't been fooling with the Adobe # 7 that long to get the finer points down yet.

One thing to notice is the secondary partial rim from LIBERTY to the D in GOD. I am pretty much lost on trying to figure out exactly what happened, that is why I have enlisted Mike Diamond's help on this coin and another that appears to be triple struck (a 1998 Lincoln cent) without any rotation. I am sure if it is real and Mike thinks that it is important find, he will do an article in ERRORSCOPE on both of the error coins.

Thank you all for the interest that you have shown on this coin.

BJ Neff
    BJ Neff

Member of: CONECA, Coppercoins, CFCC, FUN and NCADD. Retired Submariner Service, 21 years.

The opinions that I express do not necessarily reflect those of the organizations that I am a member of.
  • Options
    huge error!
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Its appearance is unusual. For the sake of argument, let's assume that the incomplete design represents the first strike. On the reverse, the strongest preservation of the first-strike design (the right side of the Memorial) is in the field. That's unexpected, since this area is subjected to the highest effective striking pressure. Evidence of the first strike should have been obliterated here.

Equally perplexing is the absence of any trace of the presumed first strike on the obverse face, except where it is overlapped by Lincoln's face. Now, this isn't entirely unexpected, as the effective striking pressure is relatively low here. However, the obverse was struck through a thin layer of oil, and THAT generally has the effect of increasing the preservation of the first-strike design.

Still, my gut tells me this is real and I'm very interested to find out how and why this odd appearance exists. It could be that the incomplete design represents a very weak second strike, but that still doesn't explain why the right side of the Memorial is so strong in the field. This is a recessed part of the coin and a weak second strike should not show up here at all. I suppose it's possible that the die was deformed here so that this area was sunken on the die face and, therefore, raised on the coin. That could have led to a light strike. I am uncomfortable with what amounts to special pleading, however. Even if the die WAS deformed, it should be in the opposite direction. Progressive, indirect design transfer -- which creates a shallow, incuse ghost of Lincoln -- would leave a slight bulge in the die face and an even more recessed field. Also perplexing is the obvious mismatch in strength between the very weak obverse strike and the somewhat stronger reverse strike. Even in a weak second strike scenario, there should be rough parity between them. The obverse strike wouldn't have provided much resistance, especially since it was mostly empty space (the cavity corresponding to Lincoln's head) that contacted the first-strike bust. Under the weak second strike scenario, we'd expect to see some of the letters of LIBERTY on Lincoln's coat. Perhaps the relief wasn't great enough here.

If the weak second strike scenario is correct, then the "strike line" just inside the rim would have to be something else entirely, since the die couldn't have descended far enough to leave a trace here.

I can see why Fred has his doubts about the authenticity of this specimen. It may be that he is right. We shall see!
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

My doubts were based on the Overlay photos, not the one's
    that BJ posted a few messages above this.

He emailed me those scans, and I told him that I thought the
    coin was real.....

My confusion was based on the 1999/2002-D Overlays........

I'm pretty sure you'll find it genuine, but that's only my view basis
    the scans......

Fred
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's assume normal first strike and weak second strike (press shutdown?)

The dies kissing a struck coin with raised details hit first in different areas than dies kissing a relatively flat planchet.

Because of the rotation between strikes, much of the memorial building on the second strike fell opposite the raised shoulder of Lincoln. Because of that void in the dies, there was not enough pressure through the coin to strike up the left end of the memorial building during the second strike.

Where the right end of the memorial building fell opposite the field in front of Lincoln's face, there was enough pressure through the coin to force the coin into the reverse die, striking up the right end of the memorial.

In my opinion, a genuine double strike and a neat error!

Tom DeLorey
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I'm inclined to agree with you, Tom. Your interpretation makes the most sense.

As far as why the second strike was weak, who can say. A press shutdown is one of the less likely possibilities, in my opinion. Weak strikes caused by insufficient die approximation (evidently the case here) can occur instantaneously and are sometimes self-correcting. I have a triple-struck quarter in which the first strike was in-collar and the second and third strikes were progressively more off-center. The first strike was normal, the second very weak, and the third quite strong. All strikes were delivered by the same die pair. You can find double strikes in which the first strike is weak and the second strong, and vice versa.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    I now have the coin and can confirm that it's an authentic in-collar double-strike with a relatively normal first strike (apart from the mild "grease strike") and a very weak second strike. I can't find any die markers that would tell me if the two strikes were from the same die pair. There is no re-entry partial collar, which is also unusual. There is a little ledge on the inner margin of the design rim on the left side of the obverse, which I interpret as an impression of the field portion of the die from the second strike.

Tom Delorey's explanation of why the second-strike Memorial is strongest in the field is supported by my observations. The first-strike head is quite a bit more flattened by the field portion of the die than I had thought. I also attributed most of the flattening apparent in the photo to an accumulation of oil or grease in the recess of the die face. That was an incorrect conclusion.
  • Options
    LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    I do not believe this error happened at one time.

The coin was struck, put in the vat with the rest of them and eventually made its way back to the presses (presumably with a load of planchets) and was struck again.

I say this because (unless things have changed) the presses used for striking cents are gravity-fed. IE the planchets fall, and are struck in mid-fall. There's no way, in this situation, that the coin would stay there and rotate to be struck again.

Questions I asked myself while coming up with my conclusion;
    There's no way the DIES would have rotated (moved/spun) WHILE the coin was still in the "Collar".
    Any doubts about the coin being forced back into a collar to be struck again would be explained if the collar is a two-piecer. AND, if it did happen all at once, why isn't there another planchet thrown in there on top of it?

It sounds like I got angry with myself! :-)

Search for "Gravity"
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • Options

<< <i>I do not believe this error happened at one time.

The coin was struck, put in the vat with the rest of them and eventually mad its way back to the presses (presumably with a load of planchets) and was struck again.

I say this because (unless things have changed) the presses used for striking cents are gravity-fed. IE the planchets fall, and are struck in mid-fall. There's no way, in this situation, that the coin would stay there and rotate to be struck again. >>

This coin was struck in 1999, when many Bliss presses were still in use. Coin are fed in horizontally in a Bliss press where there are lots of opportunities for a second strike. It's possible that the same die pair was involved in both strikes. It's possible that an adjacent die pair (in a dual or quad press) was involved.

However, I even question your starting assumption that such double-strikes are impossible in a Schuler press. There are quite a few in-collar double-strikes with significant rotation known among state quarters struck in Schuler presses. There are even more close double-strikes, triple-strikes, and quadruple strikes known from Schuler presses. Clearly, the presence of a gravity feed presents no insuperable barrier to multiple strikes.

That said, I can't rule out the possibility that we're dealing with a delayed second strike. I've got an article coming out on delayed second strikes and how to identify them. Unfortunately, strength of strike is not a useful diagnostic for identifying such a strike. Neither is the involvement of two different die pairs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file