Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I noticed the major auction houses NEVER deal with Beckett? Why?

I noticed the major auction houses NEVER deal with Beckett? Why?

Beckett logo removed. Wasn't aware. Thank you for the warning.
I'm still new to these boards and learn something new all the time.
Won't happen again. Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I see you saved my Beckett artwork image
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Uh oh, here comes the Beckett police to sue your butt for using their logo.

Didn't Carol also say she'd give you da boot outta here if anyone displayed it again?
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Yes we have noticed but we will not notice when you have been booted from the boards per last months warning.
  • Options

<< <i>Uh oh, here comes the Beckett police to sue your butt for using their logo.

Didn't Carol also say she'd give you da boot outta here if anyone displayed it again? >>

If you check the properties the op saved it to his own photobucket account.

I didnt post it so I better not get booted.
  • Options
    Matt, I wasn't talking about you....I think you're fine (not brokeback mountain fine). I was referring to steadyeddie.......you should remove the logo steadyeddie.....here's the link we're talking about.
  • Options

<< <i>Matt, I wasn't talking about you....I think you're fine (not brokeback mountain fine) >>

....but Bryan, we did a sub together, think of all the memories we shared

• Options
    Ok, me sawry..... image
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Oh man, I feel gay for just having been a part of this thread.
  • Options
    LWMMLWMM Posts: 471
    It's not a plan.

Anyone using the logo in their sig lines needs to remove it and keep it off the forums. Those who choose not to remove it will force me to remove it and their account.

It is trademarked and they do have a right to ask that it not be used.

Carol

As long as it's not in a signature, so it's all good... just no one mention botox.
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Beckett logo removed. Wasn't aware. Thank you for the warning.
    I'm still new to these boards and learn something new all the time.
    Won't happen again. Thank you!
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    let beckett read this:

the reason the auction houses dont sell beckett is because THEY KNOW THE CARD IS TRIMMED!

IF IT IS IN A bgs 9.5 OR bgs 10 holder, most likely is trimmed!

i would run away fast from a card in BGS 10......very unlikely its not altered....

the kids they hire in Texas at Beckett are very underprepared for modern card trimmers....
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Lack of Trust. And not just in the sense of catching trimms either. The don't stand by their grades the way PSA does. PSA will take responsibility (to a reasonable extent, of course) of a misgraded card and make amends. Beckett simply says "Sorry" and leave it at that. Also, their BCCG branch don't help to strengthen their image or integrity either. Mind you, I HAVE seen a few BGS graded cards offered by one or two of the major auction houses, but these are very rare occurrences and they were for modern cards.

I've never been a BGS/BVG basher as I've used them before, but personally speaking, I will NEVER buy another high-end BGS graded card ever again.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    bought a BVG 8 and it came back as trimmed (sheet cut I assume it was oversized)
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    after the bccg junk they put in tristar packs and looking at the grades,then looking at the cards,they are not even close to the real grade,bccg is garbage lol,i will never buy a bvg/bcg/bsg or whatever else thwey have going out again! we can still say beckett sucks though cant we?
    randy
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Hi Carol image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I don't know much about auction houses, but don't they mainly
    cater to vintage? Vintage = PSA & SGC . Modern = BGS
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    BCCG was Beckett's sell-out to the Shop-at-Home channels.

They showed their lack of integrity with that, and it tarnishes their entire image. I will never buy a Beckett graded card.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    How do you guys know so many BGS are trimmed? I have strong interest in a BGS 9.5 with 10 centering. I planned on buying it if I can come up with the money before it disappears. Is BGS really that bad?
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options

<< <i>How do you guys know so many BGS are trimmed? I have strong interest in a BGS 9.5 with 10 centering. I planned on buying it if I can come up with the money before it disappears. Is BGS really that bad? >>

Newer cards most likely are not trimmed as there really would be no reason to do so. BGS quality is terrible. Not saying you wont find nice cards in their slabs because there are some submitters that send in good stuff. Ask for bigger scans if you cant make out the corners. That is where most modern bgs cards suffer.

Just choose wisely Arnold!
  • Options

<< <i>Is BGS really that bad? >>

I forgot to answer this question. Yes they suck.

Thanks
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    PSA, BGS, BVG, SGC, PRO, GEM and I'm sure I've omitted many other grading companies. Do some suck? Maybe, maybe not. Are there others that buyers and sellers have confidence in? Sure. But I can't leave it at that. I think you have to inquier into an hobbyist's main objective(s). Some cards I buy to collect. Those cards are always PSA. Other cards I buy with the end objective of flipping. That's everything else. So do I trust BGS, BVG, PRO and GEM? No way. But really, what does that matter? I''m not collecting that card. I'm buying the card to flip in, hopefully at a profit. And no matter how much we may bash "lesser" companies, there's obviously a market for them. For example:

Two (2) 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan GEM 10 selling for $1,477.00

1986 Fleer Michael Jordan PGI GEM 10 selling for $972.75

Precision Grading Company ... what on earth!

1979-80 O-Pee-Chee Wayne Gretzky GEM 10 selling for $900.00

1948 Leaf Ted Williams PRO 9.0 selling for $660.01

The cards may be of questionable authenticity, but assuming the buyer pays, I'm guessing the dollars are not. Would I bid on any of these cards to keep/collect? Absolutely not. But if I could pick up similar type cards and flip them for a profit, why not?

/s/ JackWESQ