Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do You IGNORE Cards/Auctions That Have A Qualifier?

I'm sure I miss some good cards by doing this, but I can't help but to ignore cards that have a qualifier. For me, one of two things will happen; the title will have a qualifier and I won't even click on it or I'll click on the auction, see that the card has a qualifier and quickly leave. In this regard, I prefer BGS cards. Instead of a PSA 9 (OC), the card will have subgrades of 6.0 for centering and the rest 9.5 for an overall grade of BGS 7.0. But then again, I avoid BGS cards altogether, so the discussion is a bit moot. I equate it to the dreaded 8.5 subgrade that almost always creeps into a card that has an overall grade of BGS 9. Am I alone in these thoughts? If so, not a problem.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    The one time now when I am OK with OC cards is pre-war vintage. I've picked up some cards in an 8 OC or 7 OC at less than the respective 6 or 5 price would be. For a nearly 100 year old to survive in NM or NM-MT condition but its only flaw be the centering (which was in that same condition in 1910), I'll take it any day. But for newer material (or even 1950s these days), I'm passing on the OC's.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I am a modern collector.....so yes, like the plaque.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    what mark said
    randy
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    If I can get a 1982 TT Cal Ripken in PSA 9 OC for the same price as a PSA 7, I'm sold! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will never own a card that has a qualifier, I realize I might be benching myself a bit but just my collecting choice.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    I won't ignore a card with a qualifier. If it's a nice card for a good price with the qualifier, it would be stupid to ignore it just on some silly principal of 'I dont want a sportscard with two extra letters on the holder'

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    colebearcolebear Posts: 886 ✭✭
    I will ignore it if they fail to list it in the title; otherwise depends on the issue.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will never own a card that has a qualifier, I realize I might be benching myself a bit but just my collecting choice. >>

If you dont root the Yankees, I suppose this is a good second option image

I actually search out PD and ST qualifier cards. OC cards I normally ignore depending on what they are. I think people are becoming more wise because you see similar grades with HUGE price differences whether there is a qualifier or not. Just look at the price difference of a well centered vintage card vs the same card with no qualifiers that doesnt have good centering. I would say a 50% mark up on well centered cards often times.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I don't mind if it doesn't totally hose up the eye-appeal of the card. I like that the card is given credit for surviving the years, even if it did come out of the factory OC.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To follow up on what yankeeno7 said, it also appears that PSA very seldom assigns anything but the OC qualifier these days, you just don't see too many recently graded cards with the ST or PD qualifier so those cards have great potential for resubmission, IMO.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭
    Totally depends on the card. Last year a 1980 Charlotte O's Police of Cal Ripken, Jr. (in the sig) came up for auction in a PSA 5. Considering it was the first I had seen for sale in a long time I tried hard to get it but lost out when the bidding went over $2,000. I didn't feel that bad because the seller told me that he had at least one more to sell but it would be receiving a qualifier when he sent it. The card came back PSA 6 MK due to a little girl writing her name on the back of the card. Not knowing if/when I would ever have the chance to get another copy of the card I chose to live with the qualifier.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Won't buy the (OC) cards. Wish qualifiers didn't exist.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Perk....ink stamp on the reverse.

I'll buy certain cards that are OC.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Same here, Ill buy certain OC cards depending on eye appeal and year. Example, 54 Topps, the borders are so hard to read anyway t/b. I especially dont mind ST or OC when it pertains to the backs of the cards. I look at the front, and I bye based on eye appeal.

A.L.
    If at first you dont succeed, keep on sucking, til you do succeed.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Generally, MK or ST are fine by me unless it is something glaring. I tend to shy away from OC designations, especially if dinged for horizontal centering. At the end of the day, however, the eye appeal and going rate dictate if I will chase any card raw or graded.

Snorto~
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I won't ignore a card with a qualifier. If it's a nice card for a good price with the qualifier, it would be stupid to ignore it just on some silly principal of 'I dont want a sportscard with two extra letters on the holder'

John >>

I agree with this as long as the card isn't hard to look at, especially if I can't afford to buy a straight grade. I have some oc cards that are easy on the eyes and some that I hide in a box. A mark on the back or stain on the back is just money I get to save.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't mind if it doesn't totally hose up the eye-appeal of the card. I like that the card is given credit for surviving the years, even if it did come out of the factory OC.

My favorite qualifiered cards...

image >>

I thought the red stamp on the back of the Cepeda meant that it came from a Vending machine and thought PSA recognized these and marked them as such?
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I thought the red stamp on the back of the Cepeda meant that it came from a Vending machine and thought PSA recognized these and marked them as such? >>

From what I've learned from these boards, the stamp does indicate they were vending, but they were added by the vendor, not by Topps. Since Topps didn't put it on the card, PSA considers it marked. SportsModerator1 came on once and said as much in a thread about these vending stamps.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    You mean Topps had vending boxes even back THAT far? How far back did they have them?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I think 58 or 59 were the first years? I know they had presentation sets from at least 1955 because I have seen a 55.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    I generally ignore cards with qualifiers. I especially don't like cards that are OC. I'm even very picky about which 10s I will buy in regard to cut. If I collected more vintage then I couldn't be so picky.

If a seller lists a card without the qualifier in the title, I won't buy any of his cards. Not just the one. It's so intentionally deceptive. I would feel so stupid if I got burned by someone who already showed they were not completely upfront in their presentation.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15