Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

new pickups for today. a 1963 ddo washington, a 1908 and 1906 IHC

I got all of these for $45 How did I do?

This one looks like a trippled die.
imageimage
imageimage

I couldn't get the color right on this one. It has a bluish purple to the dsrker areas. I really like it. I'm gonna try olive oil to get the gunk off.
imageimage

This one I just got Because it was cheap and I like it.

imageimage
If I was half as smart as I am dumb Iwould be a genious

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    For $45 I think you did pretty darn good image
  • Options
    Wonderful purchase and a very nice variety that I would pay $45 for in original ms. Regards and Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Nice Pickups!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

The 1908 Indian Cent is gorgeous, but from what I know, do NOT use olive oil on the piece. Personally I can't see any "gunk" unless you are speaking of the spots on the reverse, and would just leave the piece alone. Xylol or acetone or mineral oil should be safe, but I believe that olive oil can turn red copper. Perhaps someone else can comment...
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    they are all nice. the carbon spots on the copper is forever. olive oil will remove dirt and grime but those dark spots will not go away. even with the spots they are still nice coins.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    mcmximcmxi Posts: 890
    Thanks for saving me from the olive oil. It just looked like the spots on the 08 reverse were gunk and not carbon spots. Would you guys give a ballpark grade for me. They were bouth marked AU-50
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the DDO Washington
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    Are the ddo washingtons worth anything? I got it for cheap
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options

<< <i>The 1908 Indian Cent is gorgeous, but from what I know, do NOT use olive oil on the piece. Personally I can't see any "gunk" unless you are speaking of the spots on the reverse, and would just leave the piece alone. Xylol or acetone or mineral oil should be safe, but I believe that olive oil can turn red copper. Perhaps someone else can comment... >>

My first (and last) attempt at virgin olive oil on an Indian Head Cent left me with a "shocking" surprise.
    Now, I don't know if it was the fact that I forgot about the coin soaking (for almost 3 months) and the oil had gone rancid... or if it was the drop of Dawn dish-washing liquid that I used to remove the oil residue.... But I ended up with quite a bit of electric blue/purple and orange/yellow toning that was not on the coin before I soaked it to remove gunk & grime.
  • Options
    Do you think the cents would bag or grade?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file