Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Per the photo, I don't love the look of that coin, and from your description, it sounds like you do not either. These are not that rare, and I expect that you should be able to find a suitable one eventually.

3). Keep her and use the NGC grade guarantee or send her back?

I would never, ever buy a coin with that strategy in place. It's okay to buy overgraded coins, mind you, so long as you do not overpay for the correct grade (or recognize it and do not care). However, I would not buy a coin that I think is overgraded and expect the grading company to bail me out. It's a plan that will likely lead to disappointment, IMO. I would like to hear the opinion of others on this matter.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are [relatively] common, so why not wait for one that you absolutely love?
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.NT retoned

2. AU-50 details

3. That piece has great details and I love 18th century U.S. coins but I really think you could do better. It might be the lighting but the reverse sort of looks polished.
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would not buy a coin that I think is overgraded and expect the grading company to bail me out. It's a plan that will likely lead to disappointment, IMO. I would like to hear the opinion of others on this matter. >>

I agree completely.

• Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I think it definitely has a pleasing look to it.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Laura would strongly disapprove.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I hate the look of this thing. This is one of those two-second looks, and back it goes as fast as I could get it outta here.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I would perhaps agree with everything that has been said here .... except for one thing. I cannot agree that any 1794 half dime is common, relatively common, or any other kind of common. 1794 half dimes are quite scarce, and nice-for-the-grade AUs are an even scarcer subgroup. The original mintage is estimated to have been just 7756 pieces, and fewer than 200 pieces are estimated to have survived, in all grades. They are collected not only by half dime date collectors, but also by a few die marriage collectors like myself, and also by type collectors, although most of those opt for the more available 1795 of the same type. I concur that this coin should perhaps be sent back to the seller, but please don't make the search for a choice AU example of a 1794 half dime sound like a walk in the park. From experience I can tell you that it will take a great deal of patience ...... and a pretty fat check book.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that a scratch in the right field extending thru the neck?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is that a scratch in the right field extending thru the neck? >>

No, I believe that it is a clash mark. This coin has several significant clash marks on it that show up better through a loupe. >>

the clash mark is the one that extends vertically in front of the nose...I think the question was about the mark starting in the field and continuing horizontally across the neck

but yes, I don't like it as a 58, but as MrH10C said, those are tough to find in any condition!
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Fletcher.
    This coin is not a dog.
    Now that said, unless the price was a bargain, the unevenness of the toning bothers me. It is a dipped and re-toned piece in my opinion, but these can re-tone so many different ways. I can't come up with a grade with these pics-these early pieces are really hard to grade from a pic, but it looks like a lot of coin is still there. The bird looks really nice. It is almost a shame because the coin is so clean with just a little apparent wear, but that obverse toning pattern bothers me enough with a quick look that I know it would bother me more and more the more and more I look. I just don't like the way her face toned so nicely in some areas and not at all in others. The field toning is not my cup of coffee either.
    All that said- I get the feeling it isn't knocking YOUR socks off either, and for the money I am sure it cost, you should keep looking.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the post and the comments. Interesting stuff.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I understand that grading varies by type, and that both NGC and PCGS are FAR more liberal with 18th-century U.S. than with newer material. I also know that I know absolutely *dick* about grading this early material... but... my first thought is "how the hell did this get holdered?" My eyes went immediately to the scratch across the neck and I said "Ugh!"

Don't get me wrong; I know that the coin is way out of my league... but how can this coin be a 58? If this were a newer coin I would expect it to be bodybagged.

What am I not understanding?
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Never owned one and don't know anything about them, but from a purely laypersons perspective, I don't think much of the splotchy uneven toning and I think I would find it quite distracting even on a smaller coin like this. Hopefully you will be able to find one you love enough that you won't have to be talked into keeping it.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    It is a rare bird but can be found nicer.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    quite a rare coin as some have pointed out but the appearance
    does nothing for me. And i am coming from the prespective that
    if i ever get to own a coin like that i will probably have to accept
    some problems.

an old wipe, a few dents, or a scratch, not really a problem if the
    price is right, but the overall appearance of that coin to me, is a pass.

splotchy and not very pleasant. scratch does not bother me much.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fletcher - To whatever extent the forum members can judge the coin by the image, I would think you could have done the same. So why did you order the coin? Also, when you say you picked it up "a while ago", how long is "a while"?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much I can add other than the coin is the LM4/V4 die marriage. The Logan McCloskey reference and the most recent JRCS Bust Half Dime Census both list this an R4 marriage. There are a total of four known 1794 marriages and the LM4, along with the LM3, are considered the "more common" marriages when compared to the LM1 R6 and LM2 R5.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    49 graded higher than AU-58 at PCGS...no doubt numerous duplicates in that number.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    IMO it looks like an AU-53/55 coin.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harry Laibstain's got a simply stunning 1794 in inventory and it's the rarer LM2 R5 die marraige to boot.
  • Options
    The REAL question is "Will it sticker?" image
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    "Harry Laibstain's got a simply stunning 1794 in inventory and it's the rarer LM2 R5 die marraige to boot."

It certainly is stunning, and if you agree with the assigned grade (MS-64) it is nicer than the Eliasberg example (MS-63). But it also has a 'stunning' price ($47,500), too. Perhaps not what someone who sought a nice AU-58 example would want.

"49 graded higher than AU-58 at PCGS...no doubt numerous duplicates in that number."

I would bet that probably half are resubmissions.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is really a tough one... I am not wild about the overall look of the coin, but the strike seems to be fairly impressive. Perhaps you should consider adding a question and solicit comments on the strike. From my perspective, it seems the strike carried the coin into an AU58 holder

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back it goes. These are scarce, not rare. K
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the quality of the alloy partly responsible for any uneven coloration?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the quality of the alloy partly responsible for any uneven coloration? >>

I think it is more likely to be unattractive retoning after cleaning. That's my non-expert opinion.
  • Options
    I like it alot. Way out of my league, unfortunately.
  • Options
    LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    Correct me if I am wrong, It looks like the "toning" on the obverse is from PVC.
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Another option depends on the price you paid for it and how your cash flow is going. If you got it at a good price then you could hold on to it while waiting for a replacement. The coin is scare enough that I would expect it to outperform the general market. You could enjoy having it while looking. --jerry
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    the coin was dipped, then retoned. NT.

IMO AU50, especially since it has that scratch.

I'd send it back--it's overgraded
  • Options
    Just an update ... the seller has agreed to take the coin back and give me a refund. Very professional image

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Looks NCSed to me.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call the 1794 H10c common by any yardstick, like a few of the other half dime enthusiasts who already chimed in. This particular example is reasonably nice looking and is less damaged than my own 1794, so I ought not to be too harsh on it. I grade it AU55 for detail. The toning does not bother me, although it was probably dipped long ago. Most high-grade early (1790's) silver coins were dipped or lightly cleaned at one point, slabbed or not- and that includes some of the ones in MS65 and MS66 holders. The one thing I do not like about this coin is the scratch. I can't see grading a coin AU58 with a scratch on the neck (and it extends into the field a bit below the clash mark, I think). This would have been a fine coin net graded at XF45-AU50 money, but AU58 is a bit too much. You did the right thing returning it, unless you bought it for XF45-AU50 money in the first place.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file