Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it time for a new 2006w Platinum Unc. thread?

It's been over 6 months and the prices seem to have dropped a bit.

What is the general opinion of the wise and learned member of this forum about the availability and pricing in the short/mid and long term, now that more is known about the coin and the series?

Comments

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Sure, why not?

Being neither wise nor learned, I have to think that the future of these coins in the short term depends on the Mint's official mintages, which still seem far from certain. At 2600 coins, for instance, the 1/2-oz's future seemed assured. At 3,600 or 3,800? Maybe not so much. I'd probably buy a few if I didn't have to save my money for the putative reverse-proof anniversary set. At the same time, I'm hoping the '07 mintages go through the roof to help establish a baseline (and prevent me from having to buy them at the moment).
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    Like Gritsman I am neither wise nor learned but I would like to share with you a few thoughts.

1) The 2006-w mint state plats even at the "high" rumor numbers of about 3600 halves and quarters are the rarest design and denomination mint state coinage issued for sale to the US public since 1915. No contest.

2) The sales for 2007-w MS plats are doing much better than last year two weeks into the program. Current numbers after 2 weeks are 1403, 1301, 1464, 3238 respectively. That’s a long way from 401, 396, 436 and 1151 respectively after two weeks in 2006. Now the uncs are selling about .63 times the proofs sales for 07 for the $100, half and quarter which is typical ratio going back 20 years. In other words the uncs are going to be more than likely rarer coins than the proofs but not anything like what the 2006-w was.

3) A large percentage of the current new entrants into the coin market are flippers. They will buy and dump a coin regardless of its long term potential because they are not buying serious coins to give to the grand kids. If you flip new issues for a 50+ percent mark up twice a year every year that’s more than doubling every twelve months. No single coin can compete with that as long as the flippers don't drive up sales artifically to the point aftermarket prices crash too soon after sell out on high mintage issues (this may happen at some point). The flippers have moved on to 20,000 issue first hags and have done well with them in the short run. Money chasing new issues takes heat off the slightly older ones.

4) Another issue that is frequently overlooked is the time it takes for the issues placed into the market by the mint to dissolve into collections or "strong hands" that don't need to sell or want to sell. This process of dealer and flipper inventory dilution takes at least 3 years in most cases and really starts to get tight by the tenth year. Some refer to this as the "magic tenth year".

5) It would not surprise me to see the 2006-w MS plats to stay flat for 2-4 years but that flat spot could dramatically shortened if the 2007-w MS plats sell really well making the 2006-w a massive mintage anomaly or a strong market maker comes in an decides to buy 2000+ halves or quarter and drive the price nuts like the MS Jackie and Unc BiMetalic have been.

6) There is a certain fraction of those that start as strictly investors that evolve into collectors. I was an investor 20 years ago. Now I am both but most of us figure out sooner or later that the best stuff to be in is the good looking high material content coins that are rare and completable.

7) Another issue of long-term collectablity is design based collecting. We all were more or less forced to collect by date and mint mark. But now its easy to collect not just by year but also design. Whether mint marks will remain the dominant form of product differentiation is anyone’s guess but in the mean time its good policy to have both date and mint mark rarity coupled with the absence of a certain design in terms of total population in your collection. Plus it’s more interesting.

8) In the out years when this tiny issue of congressional platinum eagles have found long term homes the coins will be tough.

You started by asking what the short and long term for the 2006-w are. I leave you with two of Warren Buffet's favorite quotes:

"In the short term the market is a voting machine (that’s fickle and hard to predict), in the long term the market is a weighing machine that values assets accurately". "Time is the friend of the outstanding asset the enemy of the mediocre".

The coins by any objective measure are outstandingly scarce and time will measure their weight and the flippers will not matter any more.
  • Options
    kimon1230kimon1230 Posts: 747 ✭✭
    thank you!
  • Options
    Eric,

Thanks for your insights.

In your opinion, would one be wise to use this time of "consolidation" (to use a stock market term) to sell the 69s and trade into the 70s (given the low delta)?

FloridaBill

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    OK, plat expert guys. Which is best for the money?

First Strike 70's
    Regular 70's
    First Strike 69's
    Regular 69's
    Selected raw coins
    Raw coins bought on price alone, so presumably inferior grades

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I will try to collect the 07 versions but only to buy, not to flip. Its the $6000 that is making me hestitant to own the 07 proofs and ms. The 06 W's are flatlined righ now. There was another thread about how automakers are finding a cheaper method to make catalytic converters with less platinum. Are the 07 plats overpriced and could plats take a dive in price because of this? Any thoughts on this?
  • Options
    Eric that was simply wonderful!

• Options
    They are all GOOD, but with Labels playing a Factor in value, here is my potential upside ranking:

1.) Selected raw 2006 W Unc Platinum coins Bought Sight Seen ( inspected first) or NGC Graded Browns - can be true Bargins!

2.) PCGS Blue Label (Plain) MS70's - 2nd Lowest POP -IS best for the Labeled money as it can be turned into a 10th Anniversary MS70

3.) PCGS 10th Anniversary MS70's - Lowest Label POP

4.) PCGS First Strike MS70's - Highest Label Pop

5.) PCGS Blue Label (Plain) MS69's - 2nd Lowest POP

6.) POP PCGS 10th Anniversary MS69's - Lowest Label POP

7.) PCGS First Strike MS69's - Highest Pop

UNKOWN - Raw coins bought on price alone, so presumably inferior grades (Ebay) - Depends on Seller
  • Options
    I found this comment by 2006W platinum reverse designer Joel Iskowitz posted to a Blog. I just thought it was an interesting comment, so I am posting it.

Not my words, not my blog.

-------------------------------

# joel iskowitz Says:
    July 18th, 2007 at 7:01 am

Adam Hi,
    I am one of the unfortunate ones who didn’t purchase enough of the 2006 Platinum Proof Eagle (”Legislative Muse”). I was only able to get the 1/10 oz. size at the time.This hurts especially since I see that the 2006 series price has tripled since. Also vexsome is that the reverse it’s my design. Also, I also wonder why,if one goes to the Historic Image Library at the Mint’s site, that 2006 is the only one in the series that doesn’t show up.It jumps from 2005 to 2007.
    In any event I enjoy your site and enthusiasm about all the numismatic events that unfold.
    Best,
    Joel
    ----------------------------------

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In an earlier post Eric writes: "...I am neither wise nor learned..."

I beg to differ Eric, indeed you are both. We are all very fortunate to benefit from your knowledge and insight.

Many thanks.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding post Eric! As usual a flawless execution of words!!!

There is no bargain out there right now like those 2006 W Platinum Eagles!
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted these thoughts on an earlier thread, but think they are also appropriate here.

I think one challenge to collecting platinum is the high bullion cost that is "baked in" to the series. This may be a reason why even the scarce dates are not more popular.

Each $100 platinum coin, from the commonest to the rarest, has a current metal value of nearly $1,300. There are currently 22 date/mintmark/finish combinations of Platinum Eagles in uncirculated and proof. The bullion value of 22 one-ounce coins is over $28,000. The bullion value for 22 complete sets of 4 is over $50,000. This doesn't count the premiums for the scarcer dates.

To spend this kind of money, a collector not only has to forgo the purchase of significant coins in other series, he or she also has to assume the risk of volatility in the price of platinum, since the prices of most platinum coins are strongly tied to the platinum bullion price.

Over the long run, I expect that bullion cost and bullion risk factors will encourage many collectors to limit their platinum coins or sets to the small fractionals, or even bypass the series entirely.

I do expect the really low-mintage dates to do well, but affordability and scarcity will both be factors affecting future demand.

My opinion only.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    Each $100 platinum coin, from the commonest to the rarest, has a current metal value of nearly $1,300. There are currently 22 date/mintmark/finish combinations of Platinum Eagles in uncirculated and proof. The bullion value of 22 one-ounce coins is over $28,000. The bullion value for 22 complete sets of 4 is over $50,000. This doesn't count the premiums for the scarcer dates

Wow, I really never looked at it that way.

22 sets x 1.85 Ozs. per set = 40.70 Ozs. = 2.54 lbs. of 99.99% Platinum = $1,284.00/Ozs. = $52,258.80
  • Options
    All I know is I still need to get a $10 2006-W Unc MS69 and they are dang expensive. If anyone has one to sell in a direct transaction at a great price please let me know.
  • Options
    Get insights, EricJ. By the way, where did these "higher" production figures come from? This is the first I have heard of this...

Eric
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options
    Guys while the total cost to buy every platinum coin ever issued in all denominations is a massive figure the same can be said for all US gold issues. A complete denominational set of $2.5, $5 and $10 indians in MS-60 is millions. Same for the $2.5, $5, $10 and $20 Liberty head total denominational set.

Most of us are going to pick a denomination in proof or Unc or both and run with it.

Lets take a look at the midle of the road $25 quarter plats, a complete type set of everything

1997 proof eagle over the sun
    1997 Reverse proof eagle over the sun (example coin from 97-0x)
    2005 Matt Unc eagle over the sun (example coin from 0x-07) could be off a year
    1998 proof New England
    1999 proof Swamp
    2000 proof heart land
    2001 proof desert
    2002 proof fishing
    2003 proof patriotic V.
    2004 proof America Seated
    2005 proof plenty
    2006 proof legislative
    2006-w unc legislative
    2007 proof presidential
    2007-w unc presidential

Thats fifteen coins in total and you can buy them in 69 for less than $9000. Vastly cheaper than just a 1911-d $2.5 MS-60 indian, or a $5 modern commen unc gold set thats on average not as rare. The plats are very cheap for what they are compared to almost all classic or modern gold sets.
  • Options

Most of us are going to pick a denomination in proof or Unc or both and run with it.

I agree, and for those of us on limited coin budgets the denomination of choice will likely be the $10 tenth-ounce or the $25 quarter-ounce. If these turn out to be the most popular sizes, I would expect them to show better long-term appreciation than the larger denominations.

For collecting purposes, I think the $25 platinum is probably the best compromise in regard to size, price and scarcity. The $10 is too small to show the elaborate designs to best advantage, while the $50 and $100 are too costly for most collectors and have too much of their price tied up in bullion.

My opinion only.

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I prefer the 1/2-ouncers. 1/4 is still too small and the 1 oz just seems ungainly. The 1/2-ouncers have the added advantage of (usually) having the lowest mintages, too, which makes them super-image
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    I need a little advice. Last year I bought into the 2006 W Platinum. This year I only wanted to buy one set of 2007 W, but because of a problem with my order I ordered a second. They are now both on their way to me. Should I grade both sets which will qualify for FS and keep the best set? I then can sell the other set on e-Bay, or should I return one set to the Mint?? Thanks
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    I would say inspect both sets but only send the best coins to PCGS for grading (mix-match-swap the coins if you must). The other set should be returned to the Mint.
  • Options
    Thanks, I think I will do that. I don't want two sets.
  • Options
    SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭
    As a platinum coin collector, my type set consists of $50 proofs 1997-current, $50 2006-w, and 1 each of the $10, $25, and $100 in either proof or ms, and a library of congess bimetalic. I think it is nice to have each denomination of the coins to compare the sizes. I think I will stay away from the 2007-w and just get the proofs from now on. Luckily I made the decision to buy the 2006-w $50 from the mint last year, but was unlucky by not buying the 2004 $50 proof from the mint and waiting to buy it cheaper on the secondary market.
  • Options
    Is the 2007-W the only Unc Platinum to be released this year? Or is there a 2007-P planned?
  • Options

<< <i>Is the 2007-W the only Unc Platinum to be released this year? Or is there a 2007-P planned? >>

If 2007-P is the bullion version, yes the Mint has already released it.

But if 2007-P is the reverse proof, no news from the Mint regarding its release yet. Or whether it will be made this year.
  • Options
    I collect the $10 Plat unc's.

Here is the order page for the 2007-W. Link

How can I order a 2007-P, or are those only sold to dealers?
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure all platinum coins are minted at West Point so no P mint plats
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure all platinum coins are minted at West Point so no P mint plats

• Options
    If you refer to the price guide, Link years 1997-2005 have no mint mark. Then in 2006 there is a 2006 (no mm) and 2006-W. Are you telling me that the coins without mint marks are not made in P?

Regardless, I was referring to APEs with no mint mark which I had assumed was P.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2002 Matte? I am not familiar with this as opposed to the regular uncirculated.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    The bullion coins (or without mint marks) are made in West Point as well. Until this date there hasn't been an APE made anywhere else other than at the West Point mint...
  • Options
    Was the 2002 matte finish from the "philadelphia set" that contained silver, gold, and plat?

Eric
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options

<< <i>I collect the $10 Plat unc's.

How can I order a 2007-P, or are those only sold to dealers? >>

2007 no mint mark Platinum coins are sold to dealers. You can search on Ebay to see if one is up for bidding.
  • Options
    This is a LINK to a CoinWorld article about the APEs. Scroll to the bottom of the page to read the Platinum section...
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am with Ericsan in wodering about this "matte" '02 plat. It sound as though some of the polishing may have been left off of the die...Have not seen this one and am curious though.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

I am with Ericsan in wodering about this "matte" '02 plat. It sound as though some of the polishing may have been left off of the die...Have not seen this one and am curious though.

Possibly the reference is to a change in the look of the bullion (no mint mark) Platinum Eagles around 2004. If I recall correctly, earlier ones had what resembled proof surfaces in certain areas of the coin, later ones did not.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    part one of a Trilogy ?
  • Options
    Florida, Its my view that the changing verse plats in PCGS MS-70 are very good buys if they trade in the 1.25 times 69 price range. They are worth considering up to 1.5 times 69 prices in my view but not worth getting excited about.

Eric, There is a rumor that has come out saying the 2006-w plat mintages were higher than weeky sales reports indicated. I don't trust this.
  • Options

<< <i>Florida, Its my view that the changing verse plats in PCGS MS-70 are very good buys if they trade in the 1.25 times 69 price range. They are worth considering up to 1.5 time 69 in my view but not worth getting excited about.

Eric, There is a rumor that has come out saying the 2006-w plat mintages were higher than weeky sales reports indicated. I don't trust this. >>

Eric96,

Do you have any more info on where the final sales results were??... the rumor of higher mintages came from a thread that I saw awile back that someone had seen an arcticle in Coin World if i'm not mistaken. I'm sure that is part of the reason the prices have been dropping recently along with it being summer.
  • Options
    CoinWorld June 25th Edition; but, like Eric said it is best if we wait and see what the mint publishes in the end...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file