Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

MIDWAY USA medal newp - what do you think?

Medal collectors here and on the Lightside have posted awesome medals. I was aware of medal art, but before I saw what some of you collect, I couldn't have cared less. That's changed!

No luck yet scoring my own Jacques Wiener medal, for example, but at least at a brick and mortar last month I got a start with this pickup.

Kansan am I - bred, born and raised, and it's all covered on this medal with a retro-modern art deco style -- except for Dorothy and Toto! (Although deep in the background, that might be Uncle Henry and Auntie Em's windmill and farm...image )

Bronze-craft, 3", ex Pop's Collectibles, $15, NFS

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Nice grab!

I'm sorely tempted to collect medals. What has stopped me in the past is that you'll normally pay more to acquire than you'll get if you want to sell.

If they're all keepers than the sky is the limit. A world of beautiful and historic engraving!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    A Lion of the Foreign Legion. How much relief is on that lion? Talk about standing out - Good grief! Does that have to do with the meaning of "triangle" in the edge description?

The award to Captain Lumley by Lemair also caught my attention. Nice photography. I love that kind of toning. Are those subtle colors easily seen on the medal in hand? Kind of like the Victoria at Sheffield Hall, but a completely differently metal. The Lemair isn't silver-plated is it?

Which brings me back to the Myddelton Token, Roper specimen. To think that those colors are present to the naked eye on sculpture like that...ah well, that's another story that leads unexpectedly to a beautiful renaissance painting I saw in Kansas City recently.
  • Options
    weresteveweresteve Posts: 1,224
    Nice grab!

But ... But ... it's Kansas ... YUK!!!

Far prettier Darkside medals have been posted here before ... Goetz comes to mind.
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A Lion of the Foreign Legion. How much relief is on that lion? Talk about standing out - Good grief! Does that have to do with the meaning of "triangle" in the edge description? >>

The relief is as high as a High relief Gold $20 Saint. Most edge marking designate the Mint at which it was produced. They were not common on medals before 1812 , and vary over the years.

<< <i>The award to Captain Lumley by Lemair also caught my attention. Nice photography. I love that kind of toning. Are those subtle colors easily seen on the medal in hand? Kind of like the Victoria at Sheffield Hall, but a completely differently metal. The Lemair isn't silver-plated is it? >>

Yes the Medal does look like that in Hand, colors and allimage The Lamir is Copper and unique.

<< <i>Which brings me back to the Myddelton Token, Roper specimen. To think that those colors are present to the naked eye on sculpture like that...ah well, that's another story that leads unexpectedly to a beautiful renaissance painting I saw in Kansas City recently. >>

Remember that the colors may only be there under certain types of light and light direction. I can take 4 shots of a coin and have none of them appear to be the same colors.image
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Most edge marking designate the Mint . I see. The triangle refers to a specific minter.

the colors may only be there under certain types of light and light direction. Which is what I was wondering, actually. But whenever a palette of colors can actually be seen with the eye, no matter the lighting parameters, that's amazing. Thanks for making so much of your collection available for view on the web, Boz!

But ... But ... it's Kansas ... YUK!!!

image Hey, don't mess with Kansas! ...wait, Texas got that already...

Yeah, don't tread on Kansas! ---umm...I think New Jersey got dibs on that too...

Anyway, neighbor, Kansas ain't 'fraid o' no Missouri, Goetz or Darkside! image

Sure would like to find for myself one of those other medals you're talking about, though. We don't get too many of them thar roundy things out here in the hinterlands. That's "heartlands" to you, wereSteve! image
  • Options
    weresteveweresteve Posts: 1,224
    Anyway, neighbor, Kansas ain't 'fraid o' no Missouri, Goetz or Darkside! image

Actually ... I'm part Razorback ... image Nothing quite like a wild boar that's part Prussian ... image
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole