Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Started my first listing on eBay - care to offer any constructive suggestions?

It's a simple 2002 Kennedy clad proof, but I needed to start somewhere.

If you have any constructive criticism on what I listed and how I listed it, I'm all ears!

I hope to build up a little history on the selling side, as suggested by numerous writers here. This starter coin, and others to follow like it, is strictly for bargain-hunters with modest goals. In fact, if anyone actually wins this one for more than $4, I'll slide back the overage and/or drop in a cool coin extra!

Comments

• Options
    Nice Pic's
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Listing looks good.image
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Nice pictures and good descriptions. Good job
  • Options
    Listing looks good. Great shipping cost but "middle grade" in the title is not very helpful. But your description is very fair (perhaps too fair!).
    Good job!
    Regards
    Gary
    We are always better off than we deserve. image
  • Options
    jnd1955jnd1955 Posts: 939
    your list is very honest. change the middel grade to ((( high grade ))) i would say it a pr66 to 68, and you need to raise your postage. at least to a 1.50 depinding were you are, heheheh i see you on a base somewere.
    shipping should include the cost of the flip,bubble mailer ,confermation and shipping charge. .50 you have lost money, heheehh
    and allways add confermation to your shipping, thats your proof of mailing.

john
    References

Loe-steelielee-bought 690. sale
    nate-grandrapidian-bought 70. sale
    Paul-commoncents-3500+ sales
    Ken-jfoot-sold-125.00 sale
    Mike-mozeppa-bought 1080. sale
    Dave-Badger-sale 560.00
    Lochness-sale 1,000. 00
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use a black t-shirt or something to reflect the mirrors, it will make the surfaces more uniform looking.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    Yes, you can use a black t-shirt or black contruction paper in front of the camera to make the fields look more uniform. Of course, don't cover the lens. lol
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Be prompt with mailing out your coins, and keep buyer informed..ie..(payment received, and/or shipment mailed).
    Also don't hold the buyer hostage to good feedback. If he completes his end of the deal, give the feedback.
    Then it's up to you to earn yours. So many like to say, "leave me good feedback and I'll do the same for you". Thats BS, if he earned it, give it to him. If you earned it, most of the time you will get it.
    Dan
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    These are really good responses. I will go and do!
  • Options
    howdy. By only accepting Paypal you exclude me and others from the bidding pool. I got into PP early - they paid me $50 to join. Then there were security problems which caused me to drop them and live life on ebay without them. Then just this year after reading how I might get a better selling price and more bidders if I activated my old account and took pp, I reconsidered and reactivated my old account. Immediately I began getting phishing fraudulent emails and notices from my cc co. that someone - many times- was trying to use my cc on the other side of the globe for unauthorized purchases. I am convinced someone has hacked into the paypal system, allowing them access to my email and cc #. So I am sorry but I just can't take the chance. I have not lost $ myself, but many have, and I would rather slip $10-$20 cash in an envelope than deal with a $15M or more loss through paypal. I keep waiting for them to get more bulletproof, but I am gun-shy.
    "If someone says 'A penny for your thoughts' and you give them your 2 cents worth, what happens to the extra penny?" G.Carlin
  • Options
    JapanJohnJapanJohn Posts: 2,030
    Hey John,

Nice listing. I've marked it as a "Watched Item" and I'm going for a snipe.

For us FPO types. Stick a "No Shipping" charge thing in there for FPO to FPO. Insurance mandatory.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks good, Clean Clear Picture, Right now I have the high bid, I would advise though for future listings you charge a reasonable shipping rate that way you can afford a bubble envelope, you can buy them in packs of 10 at Wal Mart for about $3.85, you cost to mail it will be higher than 50 Cents when shipping a package. Never mail coins in a standard white envelope, there is no protection and it will make often break through the thin paper.

Most of all have fun.

Tex
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good first effort. Nice pic.
    Best of luck. image
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    I'm really glad Clarkbar and PocketEasy suggested the black mask thing for the camera. I spent an hour or so rigging one, and when I list the next items, the pics show some improvement.

Hey Bender, er Japan John (love that icon!) --

Good to hear from you again!

No shipping charge FPO to FPO -- do you mean ship MPS? That would be a good idea to save costs - hadn't thought of that.

I think McGrover's right -- I'll fix the next listing for non-PayPal bidders.

These posts have been really good- every single one has something that will improve the whole process generally and my next listing specifically. You folks are swell!

I absolutely agree with Dan50 - as a buyer, sellers have always made a good impression who post feedback even before I've had a chance to post mine. Sellers who want to wait have good reasons for the wait-and-see, but I favor not waiting.