Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Auction Houses

Can anyone give me a breakdown of the largest and most respectable auction houses in the sports memorabilia hobby? I know Heritage is big with coin and also does sports item but I don't know their reputation in the sports field. I've also heard of Mastro but really only from seeing their banner on this website (and I think the sports guy from Antiques Roadshow is from Mastro). Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    IMO, based on integrity, honesty, and ease of dealing with....

1. REA
    2. Goodwin
    3. Sloate
    4.. Mastro
    5. Hunt
    6. SCP
    7. Huggins and Scott
    8. Collectable Classics

somewhere much further down

Mile High, Memory Lane, Heritage, Lelands

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks G,

Which of those would be on the top of the list for the largest customer base and the best item exposure?
  • Options
    REA, but it's only once a year. There was an email out a few months ago showing they had a larger circulation than Mastro.

That being said, each auction house has a bit different market and specialization. Having the wrong lot with a big house could do a lot worse than having it with a smaller one.
    Also, I based my ratings on a buyers perspective- it could well be very different for a seller.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Interesting. Which do you think would be the best venue for autographed baseballs? If I've got to wait a long time for the auction to come up it's no big deal.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    It really depends on the item. You can't say that a single auction house is "best" for autographed baseballs. It depends on its value, whether it will be highlighted (or lost), etc. Some of the auction houses are generally better for cards, some are generally better for pre-war, etc. So it really depends a lot on what specifically you are trying to consign.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    It would all depends on who the autographs are from, what era the balls, etc... There are a lot of variables to determine which would be your best Auctioneer. I have sold with Mastro in the past and they did a great job and are a class operation. You can't go wrong using them if you have vintage material and they have a sale going every other month so you don't have to wait.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    Which auction house was it that recently had 15-20 Ruth signed balls in one auction?
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    This is the ball I'm considering having auctioned. ...Link To Ball...
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Mile High is about as good as I have dealt with.
  • Options
    probably Mastro, but I'd put conditions in the contract or take it elsewhere- catalog auction only, not collectors auction. No changing of terms for the auction from prior auctions, eg buyers premium, software, catalog distribution, etc. Cancellation of lot if adverse publicity effects auction in the consignors opinion (scathing book expose, admission of card doctoring, prior convictions, etc).

There is a lot of competition for quality consigments, so the sellers premium should be little to nothing.

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Anthony,
    I noticed you didn't include Heritage in your list. Is that an oversight or a bad experience?
    Tom
  • Options
    Tom-
    check it again, heritage is on the list. All based on personal experience and that of close friends.

edited for grammar.

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Anthony,
    missed it, didn't expect it to be so far down.