breaking news on boston.com

details not yet final

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevin Garnett?
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    That was the sound of Bill Simmons having a brain aneurysm.

Good for the Celts.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    According to all the news reports here in the TWIN CITIES.....We now have
    a REAL reason for getting rid of Kevin McHale....! It appears that YES INDEED

KEVING GARNETT IS HEADED TO THE CELTICS!

The only game I will attend now is the CELTICS games with the TIMBERWORSES!

BOSTON---> You have NO IDEA how lucky you are at this point!
    This guy is a WORKHORSE! GIVES it all every day, DAY IN, DAY out.
    Doesn't cause trouble, and can be a true leader. You have a GEM
    coming your way! I AM NOW VERY JEALOUS! I will never speak
    to another CELTICS fan again in my life! imageimage
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might have to start folloeing the Celts now...............................................................................

Nah.
  • Options
    the atlantic division is so weak, just crown the Celts now lol.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Pierce, Ray Allen & Garnett? Quite a good team there.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boston needed to do something to get fans back. Missing out on the first draft pick didn't help
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the NBA .... what a boring league anymore. It sucks. The NBA is awful ..... I used to love the NBA. Its a SHELL of its former self image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May not mean a ring, but at least we have basketball again.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    they gave up 7 guys for 1 including 2 future #1's and 3 very solid players under 23 years old???? i think it's a great deal for the t-wolves. i hope it works out for the Celt's boy we have stunk for years now and i've always like KG. but 7 players the future has to be right now for the C's..... i hope it is!!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    this means the Celts will be competitive for 2-3 seasons, but they gave away all the youngsters. guess they are trying to fill the seats.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KG should have gone to the Warriorsimage
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>this means the Celts will be competitive for 2-3 seasons, but they gave away all the youngsters. guess they are trying to fill the seats. >>

I'm fine with this mentality. It's been 20 years since Celtics fans have had a reason to watch a game.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i used to love to watch jordan play,not the same since, not even close!saem way with lakers and celts
    thre rube
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>this means the Celts will be competitive for 2-3 seasons, but they gave away all the youngsters. guess they are trying to fill the seats. >>

I'm fine with this mentality. It's been 20 years since Celtics fans have had a reason to watch a game. >>

Same here. The Celts have been building for the future for 20 years. To hell with the future!! image
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the move; still 2 or 3 guys away from a championship run - but they just need to be good and experienced - not great players. Only 9 guys under contract right now. A couple of veteran bench guys with playoff experience will help tremendously.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A couple of veteran bench guys with playoff experience will help tremendously. >>

Is Robert Horry available?
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    I think he went to Texas because the person who works with his Autistic son is there. I don't think he'll change teams again. But there must be someone out there. I really like the move for the Celtics and as a Lakers fan, I hate that it happened.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    I hope KG gets his ring, I wish he woulda went to Phoenix but if they Gel in Boston, they could do it.

McHale is still helping out his Celtics...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    How is this move bad for Minnesota? Exactly how many times did KG take his team to the playoffs? Please, don't tell me that he didn't have anyone around him. LeBron certainly didn't and he carried his team to the finals.

KG is a fantastic player but combining him with Allen and Pierce, now 3 guys who have never won a ring....not exactly sure how good that's going to work out. McHale may have just pulled the NBA's version of the Herschel Walker trade.

The atlantic is terrifically weak, but both Toronto and NJ could give the Celts a run, and Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, and Washington with a healthy and happy Arenas will all be competitive with Boston's new big 3.

I think the T'wolves made a spectacular move. It may not sit well with fans now, but as I said above, the team wasn't going anywhere with KG. Now they have a future, and getting out from under that ridiculous contract will do wonders for them.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Man, I'm just not seeing it as that great of a deal... Don't get me wrong, Garnett is a superb player and will help the team. But even with the addition of him and Allen, they gave up a lot and they were far, far away from being a good team last year. They were nearly 30 games out, and that was in the so-called JV division (the East). These 2 players don't just make them a championship contender IMO, especially when you consider they've given up 4 of their top 5 scorers from last year in the 2 trades. Also, they gave up their best rebounder in Jefferson. Granted, Garnett is a better rebounder but you only gained a couple of rebounds a game (based off from last years numbers) in the deal. Ainge is still an idiot and a lousy GM. He's made bad move after bad move, and then finally acquires a couple of star players but had to get rid of most of his young talent, a first rounder (5th pick) this year and 2 future first rounders to get them. And although I believe these guys can, at best, excel for a solid 5 years, that's about the extent of it. Couple that with the fact it usually takes the team a year or two to really gel... and that's even if they get anybody who can actually help off the bench. And Rivers doesn't appear to be much of a coach either. Good players will have difficulty winning with a thin bench, a poor GM and lackluster coach.

It's good for the Celtics right now because they'll at least have some players to watch besides Pierce. I believe they'll be exciting and that's good for you Celts fans. But for those who believe they've become immediate contenders, I just don't believe it. They should at least make some noise in the East, partly because the East sucks (and I'm a Pistons fan). But I just think they gave a lot up and although there should be some fun surrounding the team for a few years, after that it will likely be harder times than it has been over the last 10+ years.

edited to add - Will I burn in hell if we basically agree Ax?