Home Sports Talk
Options

bummmer for randy johnson

rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
297 wins and has to be out rest of season for back surgery,so close to 300 wins, that bites for him!
the rube

Comments

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Unless he's a complete cripple after this operation, he'll be back next year. The D-Backs signed him for 2 years I think. He'll get grind out 300 wins eventually, but hopefully it will be with a little dignity. Despite his a-hole personality, I would hate to see him come back and linger around be like Steve Carlton, gutting through 10 losses before getting those precious 3 wins. Hate to remember him that way.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed he will be back
  • Options
    Fortunatly for Randy, he is not one of those "on the fence" guys who Hall of fame chances are directly related to him getting to 300 wins. He's in first ballot no matter what.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    yeah i don't think he gets there, i think he needs to play 2 more years to get the 16 wins, that's going to be tough with that back
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    time for him to hang it up. he's getting OLd and this is like his 3rd back surgery??
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭

Digg it del.icio.us AIM Randy Johnson to undergo surgery again

Paul Connors
    Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Randy Johnson announces he will undergo season-ending surgery for his sore back, during a news conference Friday, July 27, 2007, in Phoenix. It marks the second year in a row that the Big Unit has had an operation on his troublesome back. It will be the third back operation of his career.
    MLB: Diamondbacks-Johnson
    The Associated Press

PHOENIX --Randy Johnson will have season-ending back surgery and intends to be back for the Arizona Diamondbacks at spring training next year.

"I have no intention at this time of retiring," he said at a news conference Friday. "I'll cross the bridge of surgery and be willing to go through the process of rehabilitation again because I know I can still pitch. And I love pitching. It's what I've been doing since I was 7 years old."

It marks the second year in a row that the Big Unit will have an operation on his troublesome back. It will be the third back operation of his career.

"He tried to work his way through it," Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin said, "but it just didn't get any better."

The 43-year-old left-hander was traded to the Diamondbacks from the New York Yankees in the offseason, signing a $26 million, two-year contract with Arizona, the franchise where he experienced his greatest success in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

The five-time Cy Young Award winner made his way back to the rotation after extensive rehabilitation. He had several strong starts but struggled in his later outings, then he was diagnosed with a herniated disk.

Johnson went on the disabled list, worked his way through a pair of bullpen sessions, then threw 42 pitches in a simulated game on Tuesday. Afterward, he felt the effects of the injured disk, pain that he feels all the way down his right, or landing, leg.

"I can deal with the pain," he said, "but the symptoms aren't allowing me to pitch. When I bend over, my hamstring with the nerve in there just feels like it's on fire. To do that repeated times makes my leg week ... Everything just starts kind of shutting down."

One of the best left-hander in baseball history, Johnson is determined not to go out this way.

"I surely don't want to end my career because I had surgery," he said. "I would much rather call it a career being healthy and being ineffective and say 'You know what? I can't do it anymore. But that hasn't been the case."

The operation will take place next Friday in Los Angeles.

"I think this one is a little more serious than the one he had last year," Melvin said.

The five-time Cy Young award winner had surgery last October and had to start this season on the disabled list. Having an operation now, he said, will give him three more months to heal for next season.

"Hopefully we'll see the effects of that," Johnson said, "and hopefully this doesn't occur again."

Johnson has 288 wins and wants to reach 300 before he calls it quits. During a brief stretch this season, he was easily Arizona's best pitcher. That stint bolstered his confidence.

"For the short period of time that it was," Johnson said, "I was pitching as good as anybody, so I guess I still love being competitive, and I know that I can still pitch."

Johnson ranks third in all-time career strikeouts with 4,661, behind Roger Clemens (4,641) and Nolan Ryan (5,714).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

were both wrong lol,just pulled this from the web, only 12 more to go,i guess i cant hear or see right anymore lol, or so my wife tells me