Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Football All-Decade Team Master Set Idea

Hi,

I was thinking it would be a lot of fun to collect not only the first team guys on the NFL All Decade set but the all of the choices as well.

So I propose we create An All Decade Team Master set composed of all choices (for each decade). A lot of these guys will be HOF as well but we will also get some more obscure choices that have slipped through cracks of history. I learn a lot about the history of the game by collecting and I'd love to extend that a bit. As an example I beleive that Dan Fouts was the 2nd team choice for the 1980's Team of the Decade which leads me to wonder if the 2nd team would actually beat the 1st team image

Anyone else interested?

We are thinking the set would include all choices (both 1st and 2nd team guys).

I've talked with Jason and he said he could help out with set composition and requesting the set from PSA.

Mike.

Comments

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i think that is really how the all decade teams should be with all the players chosen for the team (both first and second team). like the fouts example... the team of the 90's has elway as first team and favre as second. imho, favre was hands down the QB for the 90's and I think his best season of the 90's was probably the best for any qb of the 90's. a three time MVP in the 90's as well. but this could be clouded by green glasses as well.

anyway, i do think the all decade team sets, or new master sets, should be there to reflect all the players.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Well, as Mike stated, this would be a MASTER set of all players chosen for these teams. The sets that are currently there which reflect the "First Team" selections made by the HOF Committee would remain. So you would be able to collect either or both sets, your choice.

One issue myself and Mike have discussed is if we should include KR/PRs in the master set. This would only apply to the Teams of the 80's and 90's as KR/PRs weren't selected in prior decades...

It would add the following to the 1980s master set:

Punt Returner Billy (White Shoes) Johnson
    Punt Returner John Taylor
    Kick Returner Mike Nelms
    Kick Returner Rick Upchurch

And these to the 90's master set:

Punt Returner Mel Gray
    Kick Returner Michael Bates

A couple of other items, we would welcome input on...

For the 1960's, it would likely need to be an All-AFL AND All-NFL combo set. This would make that set 88 cards which might be too big for a key card set IMO.

For the 1950's, adding a master set would mean having a set only a few cards larger than the "First Team" set. Only 34 players were chosen to that All-Decade team and 23 of them are on the set already on the Registry. I believe one or two of the other 11 don't have cards (although I could be wrong, haven't researched it)..Would you really want another set that only adds a few new players to the existing set?

If we did 20's, 30's and 40's master sets you are talking a 1920s set comprised of exactly FOUR cards..No on else in the set ever had a regular issue card printed...30's and 40's isn't much better..These would be incomplete teams as everyone doesn't have a card. This is the reason I never submitted a "First Team" All-Decade set for those years...To me, I'd want the complete team or no team, but looking for opinions on the matter as well as the items above.

This is Mike's baby, but I will definitely help where needed and will submit whatever the masses would be most interested in collecting.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like this would be a nice undertaking for those interested. But the plethora of cool sets that already exist (including HOF rookies, HOF candidates, both Veterans and Modern, All-Decade 50's through 90's, and 75th Anniversary) are enough for me. Creating new sets pumps a little excitement into the hobby, but it also, in some instances dramatically, inflates the value of cards that otherwise have only a little. I'm not a big fan of that. But to each his own. If there is enough interest generated, I say go for it.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I agree with Shag on this one. I think there is a lot overlap already. I was quite interested in doing a League MVP set and was talked out of it for similar reasons...looking back on it now, I agree with those reasons. If there is enough interest, then go for it. A lot of us will have many of these cards already anyway. Plus it creates an alternate market for some of the other cards in the team sets as opposed to just the team. I agree with Jason too in that I'd want to have the entire team represented or none at all.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I'm with shag and Josh, but the good thing is, it would be more free grades because all of us would have the 75% already. So I say...Go ahead..

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I've never used my "free grades", I guess I should cash those in...lol

For me, I never submitted any of these Master type sets for the reasons mentioned above..So much overlap already..But I'm always open to new ideas and if alot of others want the set, I would gladly help assemble it. If not, that's cool too. Most of these same rookies are contained in various other sets on the Registry.

If we don't have alot of interest in these, I would say scrap the idea until a later date and see if opinions change as the collecting base grows.

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    I'm for including the KR/PR guys in the 80's and 90's. No coaches though just players.

I kind of like the idea of a large mega set for the 1960's (88 cards). I like old cards and this would probably pick up several guys that are not currently in any other set.

I would like to see an expanded the 1950's set even if we are only adding 10 or 11 extra players.

Also there is currently no 1940's set. I looked through the list I found on Wikipedia and roughly 75% of the players have cards in either the 1948 Leaf or 1948 Bowman set. I think it would be really cool to collect these even though we wouldn't be able to get a "complete" set since some of the players have no card available.

For the 1920's and 1930's I agree the # of players with cards is too few to make a meanful set so I don't think we should go that far back.

Free grades are awesome, I just got 46 of them for some of my sets and will be using them as soon as I get moved, by now I probably have 5 or 6 more that I can request. Don't underestimate the value of these since they are much more flexible than a $5 special and can be used to review hi $$ cards.

Another benfit might be that if MOSH and Fight4olddc don't like the these sets it will give the rest of us a chance to win the category. If they do, I say the more the better since I'm not all that worried about getting to #1 in any of my sets. My main goal is to learn more about the history of football and have fun collecting cool cards. I don't have the $$ to put together a collection of every card but I like having a reason to get more cards that have some meaning (one reason I love the key card sets).

There is some overlap, but I say that is a good thing. It means we are already that much closer to completing the sets. Wouldn't you rather say to friends you have the ENTIRE All decade team rather than just the first team. I think it would be similar to wanting to collect all HOF RC instead of just the superstar HOF RC's.

I hope there is some interest in these sets so I can talk Jason in doing the work in putting them together since he is our expert image I requested several San Diego Chargers Team sets so I could do a run of 1960-1987 but other than that I don't have a lot of experience doing it. Also,I don't have the time since I'm moving very soon and will have a lot of school stuff to take care of. If you have an interest, just give an "AYE!" so we can see how many are interested.

..."AYE!"