Home Metal Detecting
Options

Finally found some coins... in the backyard

I got a cheap little Kellyco detector last year for father's day. I only took it out a couple times and found a bunch of trash and was quickly discouraged.
Then after reading some threads on here I decided to dig it out of the basement and mess around in the backyard for awhile.
Found a handfull of screws, nails, and assorted junk. But I also found half a dozen pennies. Nothing special, the oldest one was a 1966.
But it was really fun to actually find something! I also began to learn the different sounds of a coin vs. a nail.

Now maybe I'll hit the schoolyard by my house again. image
Hey... sit on it!

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    You should most certainly give it a go again. Your story is a lot like many of the most successful metal detectorists in the world, they were discouraged, gave it up, and by chance gave it one more shot. Good luck and happy hunting!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    I've been discouraged for 35 years.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    I had the exact opposite experience when I first started playing with a MD. My first time out a metal detector was at Pine Point Beach; the very first hit was a men's Celtic wedding band. However, the next zillion (seemed that way!) hits were trash and modern clad BUT, I've never given up. I keep thinking the next hit could be the find of a lifetime. Hey, it happens, right? In mean time I'm out in the fresh air and collecting enough change to at least pay ofr the batteries. image
    Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Trust me on this one...

When you least expect to find anything that is eye popping - guess what? It'll happen. Sometimes it doesn't make any sense either why what you found is where you found it. Don't give it up. image

G Man
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I just went out in my front yard, ( I just moved into a new apt.) and found a bunch of lincolns between 1959 and 1974. All were about 2 and a half inches down. Someone must not have liked pennys in the mid 70s!