Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Help, what is it? Found 40 to 45 years ago.

Forgive the poor quality of the photos I took them around 4 AM Monday mornig. I found this in a gravel pile when I was a kid. It seems to made of pewter. It is not silver. A half dollar is 3 1/2 lines wide on the paper.

Thanks Ron

"Im not young enough to know everything."
Oscar Wilde

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

Comments

• Hi, could you please post clearer pictures? my eyes arn't what they used to be.
    J.Cordeiro
    "I has a bucket." - Minazo.
    Minazo the LOLRUS, 1994-2005
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appears to be a 1736 Spanish 8 Reales cob (both dates visible). I think that's Lima mint-mark, as well (not sure, since cobs are not really my area).

EDIT: not Lima, since they already used Pillar design at that time.
  • It is Bolivian. Please work on the clearer pictures.
    J.Cordeiro
    "I has a bucket." - Minazo.
    Minazo the LOLRUS, 1994-2005
  • JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    You must have all missed the part about being made of pewter. If it looks Bolivian then I would guess it's a cast copy of a Bolivian 8 real. I doubt they had off metal cob strikes! I guess it could be a contemporary counterfeit, that would be interesting. Have you weighed it?
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You must have all missed the part about being made of pewter. >>

Actually, I did miss that part. I blame it on being on-call all morning image

• << <i>You must have all missed the part about being made of pewter. If it looks Bolivian then I would guess it's a cast copy of a Bolivian 8 real. I doubt they had off metal cob strikes! I guess it could be a contemporary counterfeit, that would be interesting. Have you weighed it? >>

Not been weighed. I don't have a digital scale here at the house and have been out of work for a month with my back. I will try for a little better pics though.

It's amazing the information one can get off these boards. Thanks all. A little extra information. I live about 40 mile from Rutherfordton (sp) NC. The coin was found in a pile of gravel the state had piled on a vacant lot for road paving. No telling where the gravel came from. I seem to remember reading somewhere once upon a time that some gold coins similar to this were struck by the Belchers in North Carolina back in the gold days. I know I am dreaming about possibilities, but we all hope for a good find at least once.
    Oscar Wilde

• I took some more pics, but this is about as good as I can do with my limited knowledge of photography and a Fuji A303 camera.

Edited to add: The bronze color came from an incadescent 40w bulb.

Oscar Wilde

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be a replica sold then.

I have a replica Pillar Dollar which I bought from the Johnson Smith company in the early 1960's.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Thank all of you for sharing your knowledge. It is much appreciated. image

Ron
    Oscar Wilde

• CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    It's a modern day reproduction of a cob 8 escudos. Some of these were actually marketed by Disney in their Pirates of the Caribbean gift shop. You usually see these gold washed/plated.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.