Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some NEWPS and another scrounge through the foreign melt bag...

A few newps in, although I still have about 40 Canadian dollars to image... might save that for my vacation in October.

First, one from danglen. Gorgeous modern French piece. I love these, being that they are using a popular classic design.

An impulse buy. Cute little coronation medal. Damaged, but neat color.

And I spent a couple of hours at the local numismatic watering hole, going through the foreign melt bag. Some neat pieces, including a few nice toners, as well as some seldom-seen types. Some just picked up for giggles. At melt prices, some of the smaller pieces only cost 30-75 cents... kinda hard to go wrong at those prices.

These 2 Canadian proof sets were picked up for grins and giggles. The dollars have nice surfaces.

Comments

• Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen a melt box with that kind of variety in quite a while. Some nice stuff in there, especially at melt price.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's one hell of a melt bag, CP image
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I was just going to express shock at that being in a melt bag.
    yipes.
  • Options

<< <i>I was just going to express shock at that being in a melt bag.
    yipes. >>

Yes - I'll have to revalue half my collection to melt!
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was just going to express shock at that being in a melt bag.
    yipes. >>

Which "that"? Oh, the French 50fr? Heheh, yeah that would be nice to find for melt. image

If I wasn't clear, the first 2 pieces shown above were NOT found in the melt bag. Everything else was.

There's not a whole lot of demand for foreign material down here in Bumblefruck. So what happens is that full- and part-time dealers don't want to spend a lot of time on it, instead just opting to move it on in bulk. Most of the foreign stuff is coming from one part-time dealer who sells it to the dealer I go to, for spot - 20%. My dealer wholesales it on in bulk for spot - 10%, but allows anyone who wants to pick through it to buy single pieces at spot.

Heck, the New Zealand shilling in EF is a $40 coin in Krause. I'm more than happy to spend the time to pick through scrap silver to find pieces like that.

It literally is a case of one man's trash being another man's treasure. image
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be very excited if I found early Mexican Republic reales, as well as 18th Century 2R Madrid piece in the melt bag image
  • Options
    Ok, disclaimer - these are Krause prices from 2004 books

Still - I think Krause has some work on it's hands image

The 50 Franc is(was?) a low book value to melt coin 11.00 melt, 10.00 Unc Krause (ok, Unc is a gift but you get the idea... )

New Zealand Crown = 6.50 melt, 12.00 Krause Unc

Cuban 20 Cent = 1.80 melt, 6.00 Krause Unc

Cuban 10 Cent = .90 melt, 4.00 Krause Unc Winner Coming in at 4xMelt

1895 S. African 2 Shillings = 4.30 melt, 7.50 Krause Fine (Mintage only 150,000! - sweet)

GB 1911 Shilling = 2.00 melt, 4.50 Krause VF

Looks like you found yourself a half price sale! - good work image

The Finish piece has low book and low melt but it has great look and history.

Some of the others have problems but I still would have happily paid melt.

I think you did great. Only things in melt boxes up here are modernish 1940 - 60s stuff, very seldom do I see 1800s and UNCish early 1900s coinage in melt boxes.

Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    <<< It literally is a case of one man's trash being another man's treasure. >>>

Very true.

Before the internets, I could find all manner of beautiful Unc Old foreign coinage in junk and melt boxes.
    Ah the good old days...
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, disclaimer - these are Krause prices from 2004 books

Still - I think Krause has some work on it's hands image

The 50 Franc is(was?) a low book value to melt coin 11.00 melt, 10.00 Unc Krause (ok, Unc is a gift but you get the idea... )

New Zealand Crown = 6.50 melt, 12.00 Krause Unc

Cuban 20 Cent = 1.80 melt, 6.00 Krause Unc

Cuban 10 Cent = .90 melt, 4.00 Krause Unc Winner Coming in at 4xMelt

1895 S. African 2 Shillings = 4.30 melt, 7.50 Krause Fine (Mintage only 150,000! - sweet)

GB 1911 Shilling = 2.00 melt, 4.50 Krause VF

Looks like you found yourself a half price sale! - good work image

The Finish piece has low book and low melt but it has great look and history.

Some of the others have problems but I still would have happily paid melt.

I think you did great. Only things in melt boxes up here are modernish 1940 - 60s stuff, very seldom do I see 1800s and UNCish early 1900s coinage in melt boxes. >>

From the prices you mention, I think a fair number have gone up since the 2004 books you quote. For example, I believe the New Zealand Crown is now $20 or $25 in UNC (I could be misremembering though). I know for a fact that the NZ shilling has taken a very large jump over the last few years.

Also, on toners I disregard Krause for the most part, especially at the low end of the financial spectrum, since my intent is to keep them for the long term, and the price you can get for toners really depends on the venue and presentation. A coin that catalogs for $2 in Krause could easily sell for $10-20 depending on the nature of the toning.

My favorites of the bunch, outside of the 50fr from Dan, are the Mexican 1942 20 centavos and the last 2: the Colombian holey and the Spanish 2 reales.
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Wow - There are some in that bunch that I would love - are any going to be on your ebay site???
    Shep
  • Options

<< <i>
    From the prices you mention, I think a fair number have gone up since the 2004 books you quote. For example, I believe the New Zealand Crown is now $20 or $25 in UNC (I could be misremembering though). I know for a fact that the NZ shilling has taken a very large jump over the last few years.

Also, on toners I disregard Krause for the most part, especially at the low end of the financial spectrum, since my intent is to keep them for the long term, and the price you can get for toners really depends on the venue and presentation. A coin that catalogs for $2 in Krause could easily sell for $10-20 depending on the nature of the toning.

My favorites of the bunch, outside of the 50fr from Dan, are the Mexican 1942 20 centavos and the last 2: the Colombian holey and the Spanish 2 reales. >>

Yes... With Krause you're usually ok for a few years, after that the prices start to move across the board on ya (especially these past few years) Guess it's time.
    I was very surprised to see the NZ crown so cheap in Unc, it was actually the first I checked - your prices are more what I expected. I also agree on the eye appeal factor for non Unc coins 100%, couple that with good presentation and it makes a world of difference in the true value.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...