Home Metal Detecting
Options

Ya findin' anything?

Am I the only one who get really annoyed with having this question asked at LEAST once every time I go to a public place? I know I cant be the only one who gets this question, but am I the only one who just wants to be left alone and "in the zone" while MD? I get this from all ages, but the ones I dislike the question most from is the teen crowd. They always have the smart remark to follow or a smirk. Sorry for the rant, but just got back from a couple of hours MD with having this question asked a few times. BTW, only found 98 cents, and about 12 beer caps (they always ring up a quarter on my ACE 250, but do not have that coin "feel" to them. I dig them anyway, you just never know)

Comments

• Options
    Yes, The question comes up...But I use headphones and can chose who I want to hear ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    I usually go at night... and where I go, it wont be good if people are up on me...
  • Options
    I use headphone also, but that does not seem to stop anyone from being rude.
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    It's the 10 -12 year old boys that get in the way once they feel comfortable with me answering their questions. They get right down on their hands and knees and as soon as they hear a beep they are all over it, they don't know exactly where but they are there. Last time at the playground there was a young boy there and he watched me for 1/2 hour before he strolled over to talk. Then a friend of his showed up and the two of them hustled my targets. I lost a zincoln and a tiny little girls earring , right into their pockets they went, I wanted the penny too. So that was my exit sign, I had only left the house to go get a gallon of milk anyway and that took me 1 1/2 hours. I get distracted easily I guess.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Ugh, what bottom feeders.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Then a friend of his showed up and the two of them hustled my targets. I lost a zincoln and a tiny little girls earring , right into their pockets they went >>

I guess they learn young. I hope they grow out of that or taxpayers will be giving handouts to thieves the rest of their lives.

I can't believe they actually did that. I have not had that experience.
  • Options
    Sounds like a couple of liberal Democrats in the making, expecting something for nothing.

Bob
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I may have gold in my pocket, but I'll aways have the same reply, "No, just a bunch of junk today. Bottle tops and such." I have a feeling people who ask walk away having even stronger convictions that metal detecting must be a waste of time. Teenagers are funny. While I'm not a teen, I am a young MDist and probably look younger than my 24 years. Teenagers are in such a rush not to feel like children anymore that they shun anything that remotely plays out a childhood fantasy, such as "treasure hunting." I can always tell they're secretly interested, even if they do have a smirk on their faces or make wisecracks, and because I'm young, I think they're more forthcoming with such desires. For the most part, teenage boys stay clear of me, I look like a meathead, even though I'm not, and I don't think they want trouble. Girls tend to be the ones that hassle me most often.

Small children never seem to care about what I'm digging, their only desire is the play with the $1000 toy in my hands. I try to oblige them as much as possible, but I've had to ask parents to take control of their children so "they won't get hurt." I've never had anyone attempt to dig in the holes I cut or beat me to a dig, but I did have a little girl of 7 years or so run off with a quarter once. Just a quarter, and I was dumb enough to show her what I had dug, but annoying none-the-less.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    I had a young punk come up to me Saturday at the beach all frantic that he had lost his cell phone. From the way he asked my assistance I could tell he was pulling some smart crap on me. Of course when I turned down his request, he took off laughing.

I've never had anyone try to confiscate my finds. But then when I find something great in a public place, I usually stick it in my sock or shoe. Just bend down and act like you're re-tying your shoe. Or just make sure they see your Lesche digger.

All around the best is to ignore them as Jerry mentioned. If you can't do it, hand them a wad of trash out of your pouch. They'll refrain from bothering you. image

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Thats one of my favorite aspects of the headphones. Just pretend you didn't hear them.
    Usually when people ask if I've found anything I reply, "I always find something but its not always worth finding".
  • Options
    I get that question often also, but again that's where the selective hearing comes in handyimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimage