Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How much value would PSA/DNA add to the following? Ali, Jordan, Montana?

Hi,

I am new to this forum but not new to autographs. I collect primarily Presidential and historical autographs, so I know that market pretty well, but I do have a few leftover sports autographs from past years. I have the following pieces that I plan on selling, and wanted to get opinions on what they would sell for without PSA/DNA authentication, and then with PSA/DNA authentication, that way I could decide whether or not to get them authenticated.

Muhammad Ali autographed Everlast glove signed "Muhammad Ali AKA Cassius Clay"
Muhammad Ali autographed jump rope signed "Muhammad Ali AKA Cassius Clay"
Michael Jordan signed large poster
Michael Jordan signed newspaper page from early on when he was incoming as a recruit to North Carolina
and a 1977 Notre Dame national champions team signed football (over 70 auto's including all players and coaching staff) including Joe Montana

Any ideas as to current market value both without PSA/DNA and then with PSA/DNA?

Thanks and take care,

Mike Navarro
Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike, welcome!

Why not try a "completed auction" search on ebay for the items you mentioned? You may find some and it would give you the answers you need.

Matt
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    quite a bit more once it is authenticated thats for sure, double the price i would say in alot of cases,especially with some of the older people like ali
    randy image
  • Also, you are selling to 2 different markets. The people that look to buy authenticated auto's are more educated about the items. They know there is a huge risk in buying unauthenticated. They understand the value more. The other type buyers are often trying to find a "bargain" and willing to take a risk - but not pay as much.

If your autographs are real, you will do much better getting them authenticated.
    << image >>
  • The difference in the auction is going to be the amount of people that are willing to bid on the item .

Most people, just for the fact that it is not authenticated by either PSA or JSA will not even give it a second look , unless they are educated and know what certain signatures look like and what are a fraud .

The item being auctioned won't change in value , just because it's authenticated .

That crusty dusty Ali auto that hasn't been seen in 20 years is still worth as much as one that has been authenticated yesterday , it's just , how many more bidderes are going to be comfortable spending big bucks on it .
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    very true mucky & tom, id buy a psa/dna way before i d buy one that some guy said," i got this in person" lol, too many fake autos out there nowadays for sure, especaially of jordan!
    the rube
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Here's images of them if they post properly.

Ali Glove

Ali Rope

Jordan poster

Jordan poster sig

Notre Dame ball

Notre Dame vintage full name Montana signature
    imageimageimageimage

Early Jordan with vintage full name signature
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I've tried to do some ebay searches, but I can't find any Ali gloves or jump ropes that have been PSA/DNA authenticated that have actually sold there. I see some PSA/DNA gloves, but the buyer was asking for more than the market would pay so they didn't sell. I also coudn't get a good market grasp of the full name Jordan and full name Montana

In the sports market, what COA carries the biggest weight? James Spence or PSA/DNA?

My historical pieces I sell in R&R Enterprises auctions all the time and my pieces there are always PSA/DNA authenticated because Bob Eaton is one of their historical authenticators and he runs R&R.

But, if I wanted to sell these directly, would I be better off using Spence or PSA/DNA?

Thanks,

Mike
  • Absolutely, if I were looking to sell it or put it up for aution, I would definitely have PSA do the authenticating even if I know for 100% he signed it in front of me .

I'm going to get more bites . . . .

I think a lot of people mistake grading the item for authenticating the item . . . The grade will effect the value .

Joe Shmoe autheticating companies don't count either , almost everyone wants to see Jimmy Spence or PSA's stamp of approval , Mickey Mouse& Sons authentications is along the same lines as nothing at all . . .

When you're buying the Presidential signatures and historical signatures who has authenticated them ?
  • I'm not sure if I have ever seen Ali sign" AKA" either . . .
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Was the ball in your lap a subliminal message?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    Hi TNT on PMS,

Thanks for the replies. You asked who authenticates when I buy and sell historical or Presidential? Typically, if I'm buying, I trust my own judgement, when I sell, I typically sell through R&R Enterprises, Alexander's Autographs, Max Rambod or other auction houses. I will occasionally offer directly on ebay.

Ali would usually add the AKA Cassius Clay if you asked in the 90's, but you had to ask. I've met him 3 times, once at a convention in Arlington, once at a convention in Dallas, and once in college at Notre Dame. However, the items I put pictures up of, I did not have him sign in front of me, I got them in trade at a later date. He did sign a glove for me personally as Muhammad Ali AKA Cassius Clay but it is shadowboxed in my office (not the one I posted the picture of) along with a picture of him and me, and will never be for sale. I also got him personally on a baseball, my tshirt, and he gave me a signed religious pamphlet as well on Islam. Really awesome man, whom almost brought a young man (me) to tears when I met him and remembered watching him fight and seeing replays of those fights and seeing how vivacious he was and full of energy, but yet when I met him he talked real quitely and moved real slow. I asked him how it felt to be the greatest and he bent down into my ear and in classic Ali said "It feels good!". I've met a lot of different personalitles over the years (Gw Bush, Jimmy Carter, Colin Powell, Newt Gingrich, Gerald Ford, George HW Bush, Michael Jordan, Rudy Giulliani, etc. and numerous others) but none have had the awe inspiring feeling of being in the presence of greatness, like it was to meet Ali.

James Spence is a little bit cheaper than PSA/DNA, do they carry as much weight in the sports market??

Take care,

Mike
  • James Spence is a little bit cheaper than PSA/DNA, do they carry as much weight in the sports market??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In a word . . .
    Absolutely .
    Thanks TNT, off to James Spence it is then! Take care,

Mike
  • Great !
    Blame it on me .
    Are you lookin to get me shot over here ??
    Just had to show my favorite Ali. That's me and the Champ about 14 years ago!!

Mike

• chbchb Posts: 212
    Definitely authenticate the Ali--well worth the authentication fees!! I'd love to have it, but doubt I could afford it.