Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1983 Donruss Wax Question

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about buying a couple of 1983 Donruss wax boxes, but I'm wondering what you guys think about the probability of searching or resealing in that year. Did a lot of the boxes that year get resealed, or is there a pretty good chance of getting a decent box?

Thanks,
Dan
Successful transactions with: vintagetoppsguy, packman, barndog, Big80s, MurphDawg, BrackAttack, mealeworm, Publius, Whiteshoes, bigredone, rube26105, ledsters, reelinintheyears, digicat, themetalsign, OSClabs, 1420sports, bighurt2000, MeteoriteGuy, lsutigers1973, skier07, Machodoc, gameusedhoop, tennesseebanker, Downtown1974, CGeorge, Salinas, corvette1340, lbcoach20, initialD, IJustLoveCards, TedSimmonsFan, Goldlabels, Lothar52, bigred1, Bosox1976, itzagoner, svtPONY95

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I second the link Goose provided.
  • Options
    mandeldmandeld Posts: 350 ✭✭
    Yeah, I've definitely bought from Steve before. I do think I can get them quite a bit cheaper though, if this isn't an issue that had a lot of problems.
    Successful transactions with: vintagetoppsguy, packman, barndog, Big80s, MurphDawg, BrackAttack, mealeworm, Publius, Whiteshoes, bigredone, rube26105, ledsters, reelinintheyears, digicat, themetalsign, OSClabs, 1420sports, bighurt2000, MeteoriteGuy, lsutigers1973, skier07, Machodoc, gameusedhoop, tennesseebanker, Downtown1974, CGeorge, Salinas, corvette1340, lbcoach20, initialD, IJustLoveCards, TedSimmonsFan, Goldlabels, Lothar52, bigred1, Bosox1976, itzagoner, svtPONY95
  • Options
    I think just about every year has the potential to have been searched, I'm sure back in 1988 there were people searching and resealing 88 Donruss. I have no doubt that you could find it for less than $75 a box, but I personally prefer to pay a little more and get it from a reliable source. An unsearched $75 box is much better than a searched $45 box, but then again I don't know who your source is and they may very well be as reliable as Steve.
  • Options

<< <i>I do think I can get them quite a bit cheaper though, >>

You get what you pay for. The slight premium to BBCE eliminates the risk of searched/resealed packs. Well worth it.

Of course, if you like to gamble...
    << image >>
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    some very sweet unopened old stuff on there thats for sure!, i added it to favorites as i always for get the url
    rube
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do realize that this thread in 9 years old, don't you?

James
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot Murse77, 9 years ago I too was interested in buying a couple of 83 donruss boxes.
    Where were you then to ease my fears?
  • Options
    Wow, Murse, thanks for that.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the guy ever got the boxes??

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1982 and 1983 Donruss did not issue their factory sets till mid May or June. If you wanted
    a set before then, you bought wax boxes. I'm not sure which of the two years it was, but if you
    bought the wax by the layer out of an opened case, you would not get a set and thats from four
    boxes. You would have to buy two-three boxes straight down to get a set . The other year you
    would have to buy the wax boxes by the layer. When this became known, 3-4 collectors would just
    buy a sealed case from the local wholesale house and have a sorting party. Wax cases from
    those years and up thru 1986 ran around $90-$120 per.