Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

rim bumps and TPGs

I know a lot of older Crown sized darkside stuff suffers from significant rim bumps and/or multiple good sized nicks. These things are usually looked down upon by NGC/PCGS as damage (which it is), and bodybagged accordingly. However, how much is too much? For instance, this Crown has no other bumps or even little nicks along the rim, aside from this one. It isn't large or all that pronounced 'in hand'. however, it smooths the coin edge a bit when looking at it from the side. Any idea if this is excessive for the TPGs and would deserve a BB?

thanks for any input!

Doug

Comments

• Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, my feeling is that they would BB it 9 times out of 10 image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    I think the general rule is if it doesn't extend into the field it's usually OK. Or in other words, if it's not too distracting it'll squeak by. Then again, with fancy denticles or lettered edges, a small bump is much more distracting than, say, on a plain edged coin.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with danglen. The length of this bump is excessive to let it go. Occasionally they might let a truly insignificant bump pass, by downgrading the coin one point.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    good points all, thanks much for weighing in!

Doug