Home Sports Talk

Five NFL players with something to prove this season

Randy Moss: After two uninspiring seasons with the Oakland Raiders, Moss will try to regain his stature as one of the NFL's most explosive receivers with the New England Patriots, who obtained him in a draft-day trade. Heading into his 10th NFL season and with 102 career touchdowns, he's still looking for a championship ring.

•Priest Holmes: The 33-year-old running back hasn't played in 21 months, his career presumably finished because of neck and head injuries. The Kansas City rushing attack is powered by Larry Johnson, but if Holmes regains form he gives the Chiefs versatility.

•Joey Harrington: A few weeks ago, he was the veteran backup for Michael Vick. Now he opens camp as the Atlanta Falcons' starting quarterback. Harrington, who entered the NFL as a No. 3 pick overall, flopped in Detroit and had an even quicker exit from Miami. Now he's poised for a big chance to make amends.

•Cedric Benson: The Chicago Bears invested a first-round pick on the former Texas star in 2005, but in two years he was a platoon runner with a total of one start. But with Thomas Jones dealt to the New York Jets, it's time for Benson to take center stage.

•Charlie Frye: The Cleveland Browns traded next year's No. 1 pick to draft quarterback Brady Quinn for a reason — to eventually take Frye's job. Whether that happens this year might depend on whether Frye's play, coming off a 17-interception season, can keep Quinn on the bench.

Comments

• drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Randy Moss: I would expect a 80+ reception, 1,100+ yard season, 10 TD's or so. Better than what he did with Oakland, but I think it will be tough to regain those Minnesota days.

Priest Holmes: What kind of impact is this guy gonna have with what looks like just an average KC line, which obviously hasn't been the case in a long time. Plus as mentioned, he will be a backup and not having played a down in nearly two years.

Joey Harrington: I don't think he's poised to do anything but suck it up, like he's done his whole pro career.

Cedric Benson: probably a 1,000 yard back, not that it means anything anymore, if he can stay healthy. I think Chicago really hurt itself with the Thomas Jones deal worse than losing Tank Johnson or if Briggs wouldn't have signed.

Charlie Frye: Possibly better than Harrington, but I would be very afraid to have to start him. I don't think Quinn is an improvement, but that remains to be seen.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adrian Peterson will steal carries from Benson as the season progresses. He is a beast.

Caddilac & Portis have something to prove too.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • fandangofandango Posts: 2,622

<< <i>Adrian Peterson will steal carries from Benson as the season progresses. He is a beast.

Caddilac & Portis have something to prove too. >>

you sure your not reading about Adrian peterson MINN?? hes the stud, your boys a dud.....

sleeper RBs of the year: Jerious Norwood Tatum Bell Brandon Jackson......
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Ben Rothlesalphabethamburger also best rebound from the dismal season he had last year...
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eli Manning

• Caddy has to prove that he can last a whole season without getting hurt.
  • MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>Ben Rothlesalphabethamburger also best rebound from the dismal season he had last year... >>

The Steelers seemed to be sleepwalking last season, it was a combination of Big Ben's injury, the Bus retiring without an adequate
    replacement and a head coach who wanted to leave and was just going through the motions of coaching. If the head coach does
    not have his heart in the game that is bound to rub off on the players.
  • fab4fab4 Posts: 280 ✭✭
    my 5 would be

donovan mcnabb : never has taken the team all the way and now coming off injury and a #1 draft pick everyone will be wanting to play as soon as he has a bad game. it will be as much mental as physical

tony romo " Laces out " the way dallas fans are he may end up like dan marino in ace ventura but no jim carrey to the rescue

Eli Manning ; he is as good as he will get. he is the jeb bush of football the dad and brother have been to the top of the game and peyton won a super bowl. i know peyton has directv not sure about eli

cedric benson and priest holmes : they have the texas running back curse along with ricky williams. they were treated like gods in college and they carried the football 30 times a game. can't adjust to real life and bodies are worn out at 25

jamarcus russell : holding out and then he will be thrown to the wolves. same thing happened to troy aikman but he recovered. a lot of quarterbacks don't have that mentallity. if he can play the season without injury or 35 interceptions he may have a career. if not can we say ryan leaf, rick mirer, dan mcgwire,todd marinovich and the list goes on.

disclaimer :the opinions stated here do not reflect that of the management of this board and are no way affiliated with this person

• IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Adrian Peterson will steal carries from Benson as the season progresses. He is a beast.

Caddilac & Portis have something to prove too. >>

you sure your not reading about Adrian peterson MINN?? hes the stud, your boys a dud.....

sleeper RBs of the year: Jerious Norwood Tatum Bell Brandon Jackson...... >>

Hardly a dud he is ranked 10th among running backs in average per carry with over 100 carries at 4.7 yards per carry and also averages 9.9 yds per catch, hardly a dud. Garret Wolfe has also shown well first day of camp. With Devon Hester on offense along with Bradley healthy and a legitimate TE in Greg Olsen the running game won't have to be the focus and indeed might open up more with a vast improvement in their passing game.
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget Vick. He has the most to prove this season.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>they have the texas running back curse >>

Yeah, Earl had a terrible NFL career.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    vick wont have a season,flip him over-hes done lol
    rube
    hope moss does something ,hes a west virginia guy
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>they have the texas running back curse >>

Yeah, Earl had a terrible NFL career. >>

I agree! He was just AWFUL!
  • fab4fab4 Posts: 280 ✭✭
    Being from tyler i can't ever say anything bad about earl