Home Testing Forum
Options

Damaged or Defective 1914D Gold Quarter Eagle? Please Help!

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if I could get some input and/or opinions on a 1914D Quarter Eagle coin that I picked up. I started to collect coins for fun a few years back and this one's got me a little baffled. I was thinking about sending it to PCGS for authentication but knowing how extremely rare any gold error coin is, I wanted to get a collective community opinion before doing so.

As you can probably see from the full image of the reverse(please use links for larger pics), there's an imperfection in the upper right quadrant behind the eagle's head. When I first got the coin, I thought, as many of you might initially think as well, that it was just some type of post-mint damage. It just simply looks like it got dented somehow. If you look at the full image of the obverse, you can see that in the corresponding area, there is a lack of detail in the feathers of the headdress and also there is a missing star to the right of the date. I initially thought that the details must have been blurred because of the possible dent on the reverse. The more I looked at the coin however, the more I keep thinking that this might possibly be a Quarter Eagle struck on a defective gold planchet instead of a post-mint damaged coin and that the lack of detail is because there's a lack of metal in the striking area.

Full_Reverse
Full_Obverse

After the obvious imperfections on the reverse and obverse, the next noticeable thing I saw was that on the edge of the coin, there's missing reeds where the 'dent' is located. The reeding was not just missing there though. About 180 degrees around to about 6 o'clock of the reverse, there is also a lack of reeding. The picture that shows the edge with some reeding is the edge where the 'dent' is. It's not a complete picture of the missing reeds but wherever the 'dent' runs into the rim of the coin, there is no reeding. The other picture of missing reeds is at 6 o'clock of the reverse and seems to show (possibly) some overflow of metal.

Edge_1
Edge_2

Although seemingly round, based off the edge and missing reeds, I started to wonder if the coin could be a clip error. With that in mind, I started to look for any signs of the Blakesley Effect on the obverse and reverse, however, being a coin without a raised rim, this was difficult for me to figure out if it was present. There is some missing details I think in the 6 o’clock area of the reverse below the '2 1/2' (and also at 10-11 o'clock of the obverse above 'LIB' of Liberty). I'm not even sure if the Blakesley Effect can even be seen on this issue but I guess I was giving it a long shot.

6oClock_Reverse
10oClock_Obverse

One of the last few things I want to note for everyone is a spot on the area lacking details on the obverse. Again it doesn't look like it got smashed and the details got blurred. It just looks like the strike never got to imprint the details. There's a picture where I placed a small white circle around a tiny area where I think I can see one of the points of the missing star right of the date. This could be my imagination but it looks like it could be it.

Obverse_1
Obverse_2

The last thing I want to note is back on the reverse of the coin in the area of 'IN GOD WE TRUST'. If you look around where the letter 'G' is, you can see some semi-circular patterns. Most of the semi-circular lines are within the depressed area. I originally thought that these lines were created by whatever might have 'dented' the coin but then I saw the same type of semi-circular lines going through the letter 'G' which doesn't appear to be in the depressed area. I started to wonder if the depressed area and patterns existed prior to the striking and if the lines that the letter ‘G’ seemingly are stamped through were evidence of that.

Reverse_1
Reverse_2

I apologize for the lengthy post and thank everyone in advance for their time and opinions. I'm not sure if it's not proper forum etiquette to post this much text or images but I wanted to put as much information out there as possible. Like I said, this one's got me baffled and I'm considering sending it to PCGS but I'm at a point where I don't know if it's some sort of error coin or if my imagination just ran wild and I'm trying to make something out of nothing from a simply damaged coin.

Thanks again,
Jabby

P.S. – I weighed the coin and it’s just about 4.13 grams as opposed to the 4.18 that it should weigh. I’m not sure if the difference is within the tolerance levels or not but I guess it could pose another question of whether the weight is off because of the irregularities in the planchet.

P.P.S. - If all this turns out to be just a damaged coin, I apologize and please don't go lynching me. I'm by no means an expert at any of this which is why I'm asking for everyone's opinions. Thanks again!