Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Unusual - or not - Edge

Have you seen anything this before? My daughter found a few foreign coins. Among them was a 1989 Singapore dollar with an incised edge inscription (REPUBLIC OF SINGAPORE) over reeding. Haven't seen that, although I must admit I've almost seen more US states than coins. Your replies welcome.

Comments

• laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    In my KM 20th century book Singapore dollar (KM#54B) shows over 62 million for business strikes, 15,000 for proof (KM#54C). Neither KM listing shows an inscribed edge.

I could guess but let's see who else contributes.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • I don't think that is very unusual. You might find other world coins with the same sort of thing
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe you are describing the "security" edge commonly used on HK coins and others. Guyana used this edge for their half stiver and one stiver coppers of 1813.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • ManMan Posts: 1,002
    In January of 2006 I found a Singapore 50 cent in my change and tryed to take a scan of the edge. Here it is.

Edge lettering is normal for Singapore coins I think they have two varieties. One plain edge and one reeded for higher denominations.

Here is my orignial blog
    POST about it, not much info though.
  • dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    Could we have a picture please?
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • The incuse lettering and reeded edge is also standard for the British "Round Pound" They letter the edge and then strike the coin in a reeded collar.