Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Big News Regarding the 1981 WTF Ripken cards

Several of you have been kind enough to listen to my ramblings on the Ripken minor league crusade and I wanted to share in something I will describe as amazing.

Information on the 1981 WTF set has been next to impossible to find other than random leads from people that sold the cards back in 1981. Although some of the information proved to be true, the majority of my comments about the set include disclaimers. This week, an uncut sheet of 1981 WTF cards appeared for sale with an interesting letter attached with the name of the person who produced the set. I had never heard his name and knew it was an amazing lead.

With that being said, e-mails were sent to everyone I could find through the search engines with the name of the gentleman on the LOA in the hopes of finding the right person. On my site, the following was signed on the guestbook:

I can not believe this site. I published the 1981 Red Wing set, WTF, and am amazed how you have documented the set. I have sent you an email with some corrections. GREAT site. Steve p.s. I spent 79 cents per set to produce it as I was a poor college kid. quite a price increase since then!

Needless to say, an interview has been scheduled. Questions about this set will finally be answered and documented for the future. I am absolutely thrilled and can't wait to start the interview. Thanks for allowing me to share!

Comments

• Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    That’s awesome Chris, should be a very interesting interview.

Trevor

eBay - trevordoveyauctions
  • Options
    Talk about finding the proverbial "needle in the haystack"!

Should be interesting to hear what he has to say
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭
    Like a kid in a candy store I've already been asking a lot of questions I've always wondered.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Cool. Ask him if he kept any for himself and if so, how many.
  • Options

<< <i>Cool. Ask him if he kept any for himself and if so, how many. >>

Done!
  • Options
    LWMMLWMM Posts: 471
    Cool, congratulations! Let us know when the interview is posted.

Do you have a link to the uncut sheet? I'd love to see it.
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Edited to add: Off topic but please forgive me.

It's nice to see the Charlotte Ripken cards. I was bartending in Charlotte back then and a bunch of the bar regulars would get together and go to Thursday home games. It was always 25¢ beer night at the old Griffith (maybe Griffin) Stadium off South Blvd. I love baseball, but one beer led to another and I became more interested in one of the Charlotte O's usherettes than in the ball games and give aways. Ah the evils of Demon Rum.
    "Im not young enough to know everything."
    Oscar Wilde

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    good for you, and good luck with the interview
  • Options
    rmoss- who ever thought the constant drinking of something called Demon Rum could lead to bad things happening?
  • Options

<< <i>rmoss- who ever thought the constant drinking of something called Demon Rum could lead to bad things happening? >>

Well I did see Ripkin play when he was young even if I didn't realize the future significance of it. I just hate I missed getting the cards back then.
    "Im not young enough to know everything."
    Oscar Wilde

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Just goes to show that you'll never know who you'll meet on the 'net. And just in time for Cal's HOF induction!
  • Options

<< <i>Just goes to show that you'll never know who you'll meet on the 'net. And just in time for Cal's HOF induction! >>

Agree on both counts! The first round of questions are in and a follow up set has been sent. It's awesome to finally have some of the answers to some of the questions while finding out new information about the cards to share with others. Certainly looking forward to the Q & A going live.
  • Options
    The interview has been completed! Steve was very gracious to answer all of my questions about the 1981 WTF set. Below is a link to the interview. Of course I would love to get thoughts and feedback on the session. Enjoy!

Steve Kozel Interview
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Nice interview. WTF KARATE CLUB?? Now I know who the Cobra Kai's biggest rivals were! image
  • Options
    Cobra Kai, never die!! Yes sensei!!
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    This is awesome! Your pursuit of the truth concerning Mr. Ripken is great, and I am not even a Cal fan. Your dedication to your goal is to be admired. Disclaimer: I sent this same message to Donavan, except replace Cal with Billy. image Mike
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    ken61ken61 Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Great thread, Chris. I looked in my SCD-published minor league book, an exceptionally well reseached book/price guide on minor league cards published in 1993. There was very little info on this set other than it was produced by the "WTF Co."
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    cool interview!!!

thanks
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Of course I was thrilled to be able to find Steve and ask about the set. When I built the site the main purpose was to inform and help others from becoming a victim. Although the main purpose remains the same, it is nice to be able to include additional information on the sets. There are so many great stories out there that will be lost if they are not documented for the future.

<< <i>Great thread, Chris. I looked in my SCD-published minor league book, an exceptionally well reseached book/price guide on minor league cards published in 1993. There was very little info on this set other than it was produced by the "WTF Co." >>

Thanks for the information. Is there any way you could tell me what the book says about the 1980 Charlotte issues and the 1981 TCMA? Thanks!
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Wow great interview and interesting guy. Too bad i missed "Doc Edwards" promotion. LOL If we only knew.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow great interview and interesting guy. Too bad i missed "Doc Edwards" promotion. LOL If we only knew. >>

Not sure if this was mentioned in the article or not, but the cards of Doc were never handed out.
  • Options

<< <i>This is awesome! Your pursuit of the truth concerning Mr. Ripken is great, and I am not even a Cal fan. Your dedication to your goal is to be admired. Disclaimer: I sent this same message to Donavan, except replace Cal with Billy. image Mike >>

Im still waiting for my "personalized" message. lol Thanks.

I have Bill's home address to do a Q/A, Im sure he'll oblige, he knows of our site and admitted to checking it once in awhile, but have been sidetracked by many new shiny Dodger cards for the boys, but soon......

Congrats on the Q/A

Oh, that WTF explanation is priceless !!!!!!!!!!! Great story. Damn, now do I have to get a WTF card for my adult collection....
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Good luck on landing an interview.

Feel free to use any of the images on my site that you need if you choose to mention the WTF set.
  • Options
    Thanks for the offer.

Donovan
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    You've very welcome.

On another note, I love the fact that people are more inquisitive about the minor league issues. In a current auction, the seller posted a question where someone asked for a better scan of the top half of a WTF card. Good times!
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Going through some magazines for board members and came across this one.
    Thought I would post it for the Ripken fans.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cobra Kai, never die!! Yes sensei!! >>

Ironically, KKI is on AMC now.

SWEEP THE LEG!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    ha ha, that's great! Can I ask what it says about Cal's 1980 & '81 issues (if anything)?

LMK if it's cool for me to post it on my site and of course I'll give you credit for the image.
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    You are welcome to use these.

• Options
    Excellent, thanks so much. Feel free to PM me with the name I should give credit to if you'd like.