Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1848 Model Crown

If I may impose on the dark side-I picked this up on the Bay. It's not in good shape, but it got my interest. First by using the word 'Model", second by the concentic circles. The outer seems to have had a silver wash. The inner a gold wash. Is there any story that goes with it?

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen many model pennies, not a crown before. Interesting . . .

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a pub token, this one.

I did a search on the boards and came up with this thread.

Here's a quote from it by agraded:

<< <i>model coin as descrbed by American Heritage Minting: "Some consider the model Coins play money while others consider them patterns. they look like minaturized versions of regular coinage with the exception of the Young Head Pennies, Halfpennies and Gothic Crowns. The Young Head Pennies and Halfpennies have copper rings with white metal inserts and the Gothic Crowns have white metal rings with Brass inserts. Call model Coins what you will, they are scarce."

I've seen the model Penny without the ring and dated (most are undated) and model Victoria Sovereigns on Ebay (made of brass I believe). There are also Edward VII model Farthings, Pennies, Crowns and Sovereigns and some Victoria Jubilee issues too. They are certainly worth collecting as they are unique and, as AHM says, scarce. Hope this helps....Bob >>

In another thread, WillieBoyd2 mentions the following about a model half-sovereign

<< <i> I have one, too.

It is an English game, pub, or bar token, and quite common. >>

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a Joseph Moore model, I believe. I had some for a while. Kind of neat to see such early bimetallic issues.

Here's one page I Googled up.

Edit to add: I have never seen one where the gilt wore off the center piece like that. I thought the centers were solid metal; some sort of brasslike alloy. Now I see they're copper or bronze, like the rest of the coin. That makes me wonder if the center is even a separate piece at all. It sure looked like it, on the ones I had.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link, LordM! Would be interesting to get the reference mentioned - Rogers "Toy Coins" published in 1990 by Galata Print, 01691 648765.

<< <i>The bimetallic pennies - still seen in abundance today - were so popular with the general public that the Royal Mint had to make an official announcement that they were not legal tender. >>

I just got the Krause "Unusual World Coins" book. I wonder if they're listed in there. I wouldn't be surprised...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a hoot! Thanks to all. Kinda like Monopoly money only different. Mike
    Hm. It says "H. Hyams" on this particular one.

• drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it is 'H. Hyams" It's not bi-metalic, although configured to look as one.
    "Unusual World Coins" does list these, I found out. At least some.