Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Rare Chinese 10 cash?

My last thread for tonight. I've been trying to ID this one...it appears to be made of brass (I scratched a bit on the edge to verify it). Could anyone interested in Chinese coins let me know if there's any chance that it might be the Y#120a.3a brass 10 cash?

"Have a nice day!"

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I scratched a bit on the edge to verify it >>

The yellowish color wasn't enough to tell you it was brass?

Can't help you with an attribution, I'm afraid. I am Krauseless at the moment, and even when I have the book handy, attributing Chinese coin varieties gives me a skullsplitting headache.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Looks like brass and if indeed it is brass, it is Y#120a.3a. I believe Y#120a.3a is the only Hupeh Province 10 cash struck in brass. Tough coin to find in any condition.
  • I think it does look like Y120a.3 Personally I always just ignore the "brass" listings because her isn't any "known" composition for the brass and dependng on the percentage of zinc, brass can be just about any color from almost white to indistingushable from pure copper. Also a cleaned copper piece can easily appear the same as a 10 - 20% zinc brass. Color of the coin is worthless in determining the compositon of these pieces. the only way to really tell the composition of these would be with an XSEM analysis. Without that, they're copper period.