Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Exonumia newp: Victor D. Brenner medal/plaquette

Back in June, I agreed to buy this from jonathanb. We agreed on price and terms, and then the whole deal slipped my mind. It didn't re-enter my mind until I saw a Brenner Lincoln medal on the back cover of the latest Numismatist. Whoops.

Anyway, I apologetically PM'ed him and the deal has been completed, now.

It looks like an interesting piece. Not my usual sort of thing, but I thought it was pretty and had a high "coolness factor". Plus, it seemed a bargain at the price.

It's 29 x 39 mm, and apparently gilt bronze.

<< <i>Obv: Hygeia, draped, at left seated on rock. Before and facing her Clotho teaches use of distaff. In lower left corner, V.D. Brenner.
Rev: Eagle flying to left with, in beak, a wreath inscribed XV. In center, INTERNATIONAL / CONGRESS / ON HYGIENE AND / DEMOGRAPHY / WASHINGTON 1912 In lower right corner a serpent drinking from patera. Signed V.D.B. at lower right. >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    That's way cool. The VDB plaquette, I mean. image

I don't know what to think about it slipping your mind and still being available long after. image I guess that's way cool, too: fortune smiling on both parties!

What an interesting perspective this piece adds to the designer and the early milieu of our beloved Lincoln cent. This would be great to see on display -- have something in mind for the 100th, Rob?

--John

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100th? Anniversary of the Lincoln cent, y'mean?

Nah.

Just thought this was neat. It's probably greasing the skids that will slide me down the slippery slope towards fancy medals with allegorical figures on 'em- draped ladies in billowy garments, cherubs, neoclassicism, and all that.

Then again, maybe not. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just thought this was neat. It's probably greasing the skids that will slide me down the slippery slope towards fancy medals with allegorical figures on 'em- draped ladies in billowy garments, cherubs, neoclassicism, and all that. >>

image It happens slowly!

Welcome to the ever growing field, Nice startimageimage
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool medal!

I feel like shaving, brushing my teeth, and taking a shower now.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    I feel like shaving, brushing my teeth, and taking a shower now. image

Chalk up another one for the Hygiene and Demography Congress image

...the slippery slope towards fancy medals with allegorical figures on 'em- draped ladies in billowy garments, cherubs, neoclassicism, and all that.

Yep, that should be something to guard against image

After all, consider the damage done by the Palau Mermaids image

What, you're talking about a different slippery slope? My bad image I just mean all of the above eventually leads to colored coins, although I'm sure purveyors and collectors of colored coins mean well image

(I first saw Wienman's design for the 1919 Saltus Award last year in this ~access denied~ thread.)