Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Sets have to be 85% complete to win an award in 2008

Sets have to be 85% complete next year to win an award, up from 75%. I better get to work on filling some holes. At least it is better than the baseball card registries, they went up to 90%.

Comments

• Options
    My Kennedy set is 100% but I will never be in the running heck I'm not even on the front page image

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    weresteveweresteve Posts: 1,224
    Just as well ... I have been contemplating retiring my remaining registry sets for some time.
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Admittedly I haven't given this MUCH thought but the number seems sort of arbitrary. Why even have a number at all? If you have the best set in a category, you get an award. If not, you don't.

For many categories, 85% will keep you off of page one (i.e. out of the top 20) for others, you'll be number one.

So what if it's a category with just your set in it. image
  • Options
    sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭

<< <i>Admittedly I haven't given this MUCH thought but the number seems sort of arbitrary. Why even have a number at all? If you have the best set in a category, you get an award. If not, you don't.

For many categories, 85% will keep you off of page one (i.e. out of the top 20) for others, you'll be number one.

So what if it's a category with just your set in it. image >>

I agree with you. Perhaps they feel the cost of printing certificates is getting too high.
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the 85% requirement, there will be some early US set categories that will never have an award winner. For instance, with the $5 Early Gold Proof set, the highest all time set is 33% for Harry Bass and the Smithsonian! One coin in this set should deserve an award!

I have the only set that is listed for the Flowing Hair and Draped Bust Half Dollar with Varieties, at 81%
    Nysoto Collection. The next coin would be $75,000 for a VFimage or a variety that 7 are known with 3 of them "slabable". I am not aware of any collection that exists in PCGS coins that would make the 85% requirement in this set.

The sets that include extreme rarities should have a lower requirement. Actually, 25% for some sets is a good accomplishment.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Sets have to be 85% complete next year to win an award, up from 75%. I better get to work on filling some holes.

I like to know where I stand in the 'Complete' sets.
    Looking there I am surprised to find that ONE collector would qualify at 85%!

ESM in the U.S. Cents Complete Set at 92.75% (AMAZING)

Martin's Collection made it this year at 75.47%, but would need to fill another 40 holes to get to the required 85%.

Does seem silly to have this requirement, or any requirement IMO..
  • Options
    I have to agree with Nysoto. There are some collections out there that should be recognized and will probably never hit 85% becuase of the rarity of a number of coins in the series.

I believe PCGS needs to find a way to recognize collectors and collections that may not have the financial depth but are just as passionate, if not more so, than some that have greater resources. Those collectors that begin in the more affordable arenas are the life blood of our world. I don't have a good answer to this, but hoped that someone else might.
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    Interesting......

I won an award for one on my sets that was only 83.2% complete - PCGS must have made a slight exception due to the perceived uniqeness of the set. LINK

To me, what was strange is that another set I have is 93% complete, also the #1 set but received nothing.........
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    I won an award for one on my sets that was only 83.2% complete - PCGS must have made a slight exception due to the perceived uniqeness of the set.

Craig, I think the percentage of completeness was 75% this year (2007), going up to 85% for next years awards (2008).
    If you pick up the 3 non-gold coins you're missing in your set you'll just make it. image
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    Go figure.
    I had the No 1 Position for the Presidential Dollars with Varieties.
    Couldn't Even get any more coins since the mint hadn't released any more.....and we only showed 60%.
    No cert, no flag on the set.
    Maybe next year...
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are all good examples of a flawed system that really lacks collector support. The program rewards wealth, not collections. I feel that it will look very boring in another 5 years when the same foks who are on top have been awarded the top awards for the past ten years with plenty of outstanding sets getting nada. There are so many recognition opprotunities that are being over looked, lets each list one. Here is mine.

Sets 100% complete in each grade average from PO 1 to MS 65

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

<< <i>Go figure.
    Couldn't Even get any more coins since the mint hadn't released any more.....and we only showed 60%.
    Maybe next year...
    >>

June 29th was the cutoff date for registry awards.
    Are you saying that these coins were a part of the "set composition" on that date and not yet released to the public??
    I think not. PCGS doesn't make coins part of the set composition before they have slabbed some.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be a while before I get to 85%.

I also believe that none of the complete sets should have this requirement. If your number one ....... your number one!

JMHO, Jon
  • Options
    Will I did make it to the front page today sorry Ajia but I still got a long way to go if ever. I agree there are some sets that are under 80% that still deserve an award.

Dan

U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Go figure.
    Maybe next year...
    >>

June 29th was the cutoff date for registry awards.
    Are you saying that these coins were a part of the "set composition" on that date and not yet released to the public??
    I think not. PCGS doesn't make coins part of the set composition before they have slabbed some. >>

Yes they do. Just peek at the presidential registry, and you will see that the coins for this year that have not been released are indeed part of the total required.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    es they do. Just peek at the presidential registry, and you will see that the coins for this year that have not been released are indeed part of the total required.

I think this is a glich in the system. Normally coins are only counted for set standing after the end of the year they are minted.

And set awards are done three months after that.
  • Options

<< <i>These are all good examples of a flawed system that really lacks collector support. The program rewards wealth, not collections. I feel that it will look very boring in another 5 years when the same foks who are on top have been awarded the top awards for the past ten years with plenty of outstanding sets getting nada. There are so many recognition opprotunities that are being over looked, lets each list one. Here is mine.

Sets 100% complete in each grade average from PO 1 to MS 65

WS >>

It was announced at the set registry awards luncheon on Friday that they are working on creating new categories for people to compete in. This will better reflect how different people choose to collect. For example, some may choose to put together an all MS64 collection, or an all AU58 set, etc. One specific category would be circulated-only sets (not just a circulation strikes category like they already have, but no MS examples would be allowed). I can't imagine they would create a category for each possible grade, as most collections have specimens from various grades.

IMHO, part of what makes developing the set registry program difficult is the fact that there are almost as many ways to collect as there are collectors. No matter how many categories are created, someone will feel left out.

Also announced was they are working on a more economical submission level for coins that are not worth sending in under the current fee schedules. This should help build new business for PCGS and attract more collectors to the set registry program.

Aaron
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some sets in which 85% can likely not be accomplished.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.