Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

FRANK THOMAS 1990 TOPPS NNOF- BACK FROM BGS- SCANS ADDED

Edit Update. I get the cards back from BGS today. I think I am going to keep it in the slab it is in. I think a few resubs could get the 9, but I do not want to loose the 10 sub on the edges. I think I will list it Buy It Now and take Best Offers. I am not sure what to start it at, but I am thinking pretty high as I would imagine offers are going to pour in. My scanner does not do that well with BGS cards, so I tried with the top open and closed. I will take some pics with my camera later as that seems to be the best way on BGS cards.

Any input on what I should set the Buy It Now at is appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BGS Card Number 5187775
Set Name: 1990 Topps
Player Name: FrankThomas NNOF
Date Graded: Thursday, July 26, 2007
Centering Corners Edges Surfaces
8 9 10 9
Final Grade: 8.5

Should I crack and send to PSA ? Any chance it corsses to a PSA 9? BGS 8.5 sold for $900, PSA 9 sold for $1826. The BGS 8.5 that sold for $900 had subs (Centering 8.5, Corners 8, Edges 9, Surface 8.5) I would think my subs especially with the 10 edges might get a decent chunk more.

Here are the other 2 cards from the sub too.
5187778 1996-97 Bowman's Best Refractors Steve Nash 8.5
5187777 1996-97 Bowman's Best Atomic Refractors Steve Nash 9.0

Comments

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Heckuva nice looking 8.5. If the grade don't fit.... image
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Hey, that card is totally missing his name!
  • Options
    allen,

I would say the grade is -- surprisingly -- fair from BGS. That said, I do think it stands a 50% chance at PSA 9. Given the fact that the price differences between BGS 8.5 and PSA 8 are not that disconcordant, it is worth a submission to PSA.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are you into the card for, and what would a PSA 8 bring (worst case scenario)?

Although if it got a PSA 8 you could just send it back to BGS hoping for the 8.5 again (or maybe a 9).
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Technically speaking, aren't corners part of the edge?

I think that card would get a 9 about one out of every three times, so you might as well keep sending in to PSA until you get the grade.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    With grading fees I am about $335 into the card. Kit Young sold a PSA 8 for $770.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    If the difference between an 8/8.5 and a 9 is about a grand, I'd crackout and resubmit to PSA about 10 times until I get the grade.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    I'd crack it out in a heartbeat and off to PSA.
    I don't see how it rec'd an 8 for centering. I think
    that sub is a bit extreme.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    on the $13/5 day special it will cost you about $25 with shipping, so 5 of those is $125 more cost (still ok), but if I remember right, you dont have a membership.
  • Options
    I am thinking maybe resub to BGS a bunch. If I can get the same grades but bump the centering to an 8.5 to make it a 9 overall with a 10 subgrade it would do very well.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Sharp card, allen. image
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    resub to bgs with minimum grade spec and see what happens.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    The card has a noticable tilt to it -- I agree with the grade.

Look closely at the frame of the photo shot of Thomas when compared to the Topps border. Tilt.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    May favorite card graded on my birthday, I'm sorry I didn't bring the good luck birthday 9. Just let us know when you decide to put her on the auction block.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    My opinion-Its a 8.5

Centering seems about a 8. Id worry about the edges getting dropped from a 10. Lower right front slight wear?
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    very nice, at least you found out it wasnt fake,very sweet card!!!!!congrats!
    the rube
  • Options
    I agree there is a slight tilt and that lower right edge does look funny but would that be the edge or corner?
  • Options
    updated
  • Options
    A lot of people will pay close to PSA 9 money for a BGS 8.5.

So ask for PSA 9 money and let THEM do the work.

Much cheaper that way......
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Allen

nice job, the tilt is minimal. why did you send it to bgs? wouldn't it have been better in a psa slab?

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BGS seems to get more money on this card. I am goning to market it as a great candidate to regrade, which it is. I saw someone on a message board call this card the 1952 Topps Mantle of modern cards. Not saying it would ever be worth that much or even a fraction, but I like this comparison and I think it would make a nice sales pitch too. The only other modern card I could think to compare to the 52 Mantle would maybe be the Alex Gordon.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I see the Thomas up on eBay. Good luck with it.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    glad it came back good for ya allen!!!!
    randy
  • Options
    i see in the description it says "regrade this one and go for a 9 or maybe a psa 10" ....think so huh?
  • Options
    When I posted the card scan in the first post, more than one member said the card looked like it had a shot at a 10. I think that the members here have a pretty good eye so it is not an unfounded statement.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    With these graders nowadays it has just a good a shot at a 10 as it does a 7.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    allen, did this ever sell on eBay? I know you had an astronomical BIN price but were accepting best offers.

good luck,

josh
  • Options
    It is still on eBay. I drop the Buy It Now a couple times a day. I usually start high because you can always come down. It seemed this might be the best route on this card as the last 2 listed (PSA 8 and BGS 7.5) were ended early and sold to offers via email. I know the 7.5 sold for $750 but I don't know what the PSA 8 was ended for. The auction has a large number of watchers and has drawn a lot of hits. If I do not get a good offer, I will likely resubmit to BGS or go with PSA.
  • Options
    got a link for it anybody?
  • Options
    LINK

rube you ought to just come off some of that money and buy it from me, I will even bring it to ya personally. I take guns in trade also haha.