Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Collectibles with Causes?

Anyone familiary with this charity? I am looking to donate cards and came across their website. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    no but just make sure their address is not in Clovis, CA
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I'd check the financial statements of any charity like this and make sure you're happy with the amount of money going to the end user, and not eaten up in admin expenses.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Actually, I called and they said Fresno, CA. This is 9 miles from Clovis. Is Clovis related to Gary? The website has .org in it. I thought .org was non-profit and legit?
  • Options
    The Whois results for that site shows it registered to Works of Life Ministries, Inc. in Clovis, CA.

A search of the IRS database of charities does not return a result for the above name.

The Calif. Sec of State corporation search database is currently not functioning, so I can't pull up any incorporation data (assuming it was incorporated in Cal.).

As to the site itself, I couldn't determine what it specifically spends it money on.

I hope that helps.
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • Options
    colebearcolebear Posts: 886 ✭✭

<< <i>Actually, I called and they said Fresno, CA. This is 9 miles from Clovis. Is Clovis related to Gary? The website has .org in it. I thought .org was non-profit and legit? >>

.org does mean non profit, but illegal online charities are as prevalent as physical charities. Sad really.

Not to hijack your thread; but does anyone know a site where you can see places to donate cards that will go to a good purpose, not goodwill. I looked at the hospitals in the Twin Cities area (where I live) and they do not take large lots of cards. Thanks
  • Options
    chbchb Posts: 212
    "The website has .org in it. I thought .org was non-profit and legit?"

Anyone can get a .org web address. It is just short for organization. It was originally intended for non-profits & other organizations, but it's now available to anyone just like .com, .net, etc...
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    true, i have a .org and a net as well just because i screwed up buying and registering my website-andbody need em lol
    randy
  • Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    I’m trying to weed out a bunch of lesser valued or duplicate coins from my “accumulation” to make it more of a “collection”! Toward that end, I was also interested in just giving them to a worthy charity that deals with collectible coins (these would be things like modern proofs, average circulated type coins, etc.), probably no more than $1000 or so fair market value. I suppose I could sell them, but just donating them and taking the deduction seems oh so much easier!

Can anyone recommend a good charity (besides yourselves, you greedy buggers!) or two along those lines that they have some knowledge of? Thanks!!
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    is this organization seriously in the same town as Gary?
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    How about rather than buying the 52 Pack we all chip in and pay metalmike to go to clovis, CA and....... well I guess you can figure out the rest.

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I'd check the financial statements of any charity like this and make sure you're happy with the amount of money going to the end user, and not eaten up in admin expenses.

We have this "charity" ..."Joe for oil" by Joe Kennedy...he pays HIMSELF 400k per year to manage it. Then you call upo and they say they have no oil image
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Metalmike here -this spring I asked for some basketball cards to give to inner city kids. My sister is a teacher in downtown Cincinnati. A few guys sent cards which made those kids day! One kid cried when my sis gave him a game used card of??? I dunno who it was but it made his day. I do not collect basketball. They didn't care about price guides or what they were worth, to them they were toys! If anyone has any basketball cards they don't care about I know some munchkins that would be happy to get them. School starts next week here. She uses them as incentives for the kids such as most improved after school participation ect. Mike
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    It is ironic that "charity" is in Gary's backyard. Call the Clovis police dept at: Clovis Police Department Chief of Police Jim Zulim 1233 Fifth St Clovis, California 93612 (559)324-2400 County: Fresno image Mike
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    aint that the truth mike just like onMY NAME IS EARL-karmas a bi tch
  • Options
    I would strongly suggest donating your items to a reputable charity, one with information readily available with respect to how the contributions are managed. There is nothing available about these guys and I think they are too sophisticated to be something Gary would be involved with. There are many websites, including Forbes.com which rates charities in terms of efficiency, i.e. how much of the donation reaches the intended beneficiary.

If you have to dig around too much and still can't find out about these guys, that is a red flag IMO.

Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.org does mean non profit, but illegal online charities are as prevalent as physical charities. Sad really. >>

Even many so-called "legitimate" non-profits are hardly that. The most common way to have a profitable non-profit is to be well connected and wealthy. You set up your non-profit and call it something politically safe like "Strong Families for Keeping Squirrels Off Drugs". Use your connections to get government grants. Solicit funds from the public. Pay no taxes. Work one day a week. Pay yourself huge salary.

Administrative costs...
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Shasta....would the kids like wrappers too? Or maybe we could just send the wrappers and packs to you and you oculd seal them and give them to the kids? image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    If you want to donate cards, simply drop them off at your local children's hospital.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts