Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

48 leaf question - GRADED SCANS ADDED

stopped by a card shop today and talked to the owner about a recent purchase he made from an older lady.....i was amazed. he had around 200+ 33/34 goudey's and 100+ 48 leaf. i picked up these 2 as they appeared to be the best centered and best condition. no ruth's, but he did have a gehrig and some other HOFs. i'd say the majority of the goudeys would grade 1-3 and the leafs would grade 1-4 with centering issues. just curious as to what these might grade...your thoughts. the bow in the edge is from my scanner. personally, i've never held a 33 goudey until today....

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Comments

• packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    pretty incredible looking caards. that centering could get a 7 if the rest is as nice as they look in the scans
  • msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards.....my guess are they would grade '6'
  • go back and buy the SP's they sell real well even in lower grades
    www.LloydWTaylor.com
    Vintage Baseball Cards
    Sales and Ebay Consignment Service
    email
    Lloyd_Taylor_Vintage_Cards -- on Ebay
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    the corners look nice and the centering compares favorably to the one below, if they aren't trimmed you should do well on them.

also, is the color accurate on your scan? If so, the Lindell is a color variation. Not uncommon on the regular series, and no price premium, but there are those that look for these, myself included. Below is mine in the most commonly found color

Are you in New England? Leafs seem to have been distibuted there more widely than anywhere else. Also, despite what it says on the label, they were issued in 1949, not 1948.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    That is why I want to own a card shop. I want someone to walk in with stuff like that. I probably never would actually open one, but just saying. What would you pay for that box of cards the woman brought in?
  • ld,

did those 2 set you back much?
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Wow!

Absolutely georgous cards. My guess, a minimum 5 with a possibility of higher, assuming they aren't trimmed.

I suggest going back and cherry picking his remaining cards.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • look like 6s to me. very nice. I wonder how much he paid the "older lady"? Bet he gave her a fair price. image
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    sorry for delayed response guys. i just picked these 2 up since they were in decent shape and centered well. i don't know much about cards this old...i was very excited just to have them in my hands.

LBC, what are the short print variations?

griffins, yes the color is accurate and he had several duplicates. i am located in TN.

Allen, i have no idea what i'd pay for the box and the owner made no inclination as to what type of deal he had other than when she was leaving she said she had 2 or 3 more boxes she couldn't locate.

jmb, i picked them up for $20 each.

stown, i'd like to have them all. i may go back and take some pics to post here. i'll see if i can capture the condition.

i'm planning to send these 2 in for grading and see how they turn out. i feel these are 2 of the best condition he had. i'd say the majority of the goudey's are 1-3 and the leafs are 1-4 with centering issues.

any ideas what the low grade goudey and leafs sell for assuming no SPs or HOFs? would VCP have this information?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

vcp has this info.
    Half of the Leaf set are short prints- the set consists of 49 common series (yours are common series) and 49 of the rarer, short printed 2nd series. Plus 3 variations (Aberson short sleeve, Hermansk, and Peterson red cap). These 3 come from the common series but command a premium that varies- Hermansk is the most valuable by far, Aberson the least, with Peterson a bit more than Aberson.
    If any are short prints they are worth it in any condition. You can go to the Leaf entry in the registry and look at "set composition". The short prints are weighted 3 and up. The common HOFers will be weight as high or higher than that, but it's fairly easy to figure out. Doby, Kell, Newhouser, Paige, and Slaughter are the sp Hofers- Ruth, JoeD, Williams, Robinson, etc are common series.
    If you need more info feel free to pm me. Congrats on digging them up!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

pm sent.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

i sent the 2 cards in today. i'll post the results. griffins, the ones you posted are very nice.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

griffins,
    i picked up another 48 leaf today. i still haven't received grades on the other 2 i submitted. i did check the hermanski and he had 3 and all were spelled correctly (front and back). this peterson is centered well but has some slight browning of the top edge.

thanks for helping.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

thats the more common version, the scarcer one has Peterson with a bright red cap. Either way a really nice example, you should buy up the rest of his inventory.

the leafs are definitely in better condition than the goudey's. he's keeping the goudey gehrig for himself. based on the other goudey's i'd say it's around a 1 or 2 grade.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

got my grades on my first 2 48s:

31882652 1948 LEAF 95 GEORGE STIRNWEISS N/A 7
    31882653 1948 LEAF 82 JOHNNY LINDELL N/A 6

very pleased.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    sweet-at least they didnt come back trimmed or something stupid like that,go get all the sp's, very nice cards, love to see finds like that,i never find em but at least somebody does!
    randy
    i don't think there were any SPs in this lot but there were lots of duplicates. i'll have to go back and see if he has any left that are centered decently. is there any interest in off-centered ones from this era?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

got the last one back: 1948 LEAF 42 KENT PETERSON BLACK CAP 6

will post scans when i have them in hand.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

here are the first 2 grades:

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)