Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Ungraded Ebay Beauty!

Check out this auction I recently won on Ebay...#200129341122. I check out ungraded HOFer cards periodically, knowing that they may have unseen or unacknowledged flaws when they arrive. I won this 1965 World Series Mantle for $43. It just arrived today and it is simply beautiful. A sure PSA 8 with a chance at a 9 as the upper left corner may have just a minute touch on it.

Comments

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

linky dink

Congrats image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    Very nice side to side centering, hard to find on that one.
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    The interesting thing about this card is that Mantle did not hit this clutch home run off Bob Gibson, who is the obvious pitcher shown on the card. In fact, if you look closely, you can see Mickey swung and missed, with McCarver actually receiving the pitch. Definitely a picture of a Mantle-Gibson confrontation in the 1964 World Series, but not Mantle hitting a home run. The pitcher who served up the HR ball was Barney Schultz in the last of the ninth.
  • Options
    Also, game #3 was played in New York. Mantle clearly has on his road uniform.
  • Options

Great info PSARich and iamarock.

Love reading this kind of stuff ... image

Pix of 'My Kids'

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Wolfie
    Here's one for you -
    That's Aparicio, with the true first Topps card of Maury Wills.
    Only Aparicio didn't steal a base in the 5th game.
    The only base he stole was in the 4th game; although he was forced out at second several times during the series AND in the 5th game. So did he beat this throw?

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options

The ulimate conundrum posed by the ulimate collector ...

Thanks MorrellMan ... here I am listening to Phil Spector's greatest recordings ...

and now I have yet even more to think about ...
    Pix of 'My Kids'

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I hear youCrystal clear
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options

<< <i>The interesting thing about this card is that Mantle did not hit this clutch home run off Bob Gibson, who is the obvious pitcher shown on the card. In fact, if you look closely, you can see Mickey swung and missed, with McCarver actually receiving the pitch. Definitely a picture of a Mantle-Gibson confrontation in the 1964 World Series, but not Mantle hitting a home run. The pitcher who served up the HR ball was Barney Schultz in the last of the ninth. >>

If you look even closer, Mantle didn't even connect on this pitch (the catcher has clearly caught the ball). The other weird thing about this card is the zombie-like suits in the stands.