Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Can PCGS please do me a favor?

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
Please add some background music to this forum, so when I'm on I don't have to listen to the crickets!

imageimage

Can someone please for the love of Pete, start an interesting Roosie post!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul, I'm trying...trust me, I'm trying!
    I've been looking at Roosies for the last few weekends, from local shops, trying to get something to submit so I can post.

Nothing so far, I have let you down image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "Can someone please for the love of Pete, start an interesting Roosie post!"

I doubt it.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Wanna do a pool on how many boxes of 07-P dimes I have to search to find a 67FB??
    Some know I've been through some. So to make it fair to all, I've been through 3 bank boxes, 150 rolls and nothing but scrap metal so far. image
    Dan
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wanna do a pool on how many boxes of 07-P dimes I have to search to find a 67FB??
    Some know I've been through some. So to make it fair to all, I've been through 3 bank boxes, 150 rolls and nothing but scrap metal so far. image >>

At least your get them in rolls/boxes.
    I go to the bank every few weeks, to get rolls of dimes and other coins, in order to keep my kid's books updated for him. We only get "D" out here.....I get cents, sometimes, and used to get nickels. Now, all I can get are quarters, occassionally. I can't get full '07 dimes (or nickels anymore, or cents lately)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleepy bye sweet lullaby!!!!
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about some roosie history from Wikipedia:

Soon after the death of President Franklin D. Roosevelt in April 1945, legislation was introduced by Virginia Congressman Ralph H. Daughton that called for the replacement of the Mercury dime with one bearing Roosevelt's image. The dime was chosen to honor Roosevelt partly due to his efforts in the founding of the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis (later renamed the March of Dimes), which originally served to raise money for polio research and to aid victims of the disease and their families. The public had been urged to send in a dime to the Foundation, and by Roosevelt's death, the Foundation was already popularly known as the "March of Dimes".

Due to the limited amount of time available to design the new coin, the Roosevelt dime was the first regular-issue U.S. coin designed by a Mint employee in more than 40 years. Chief Engraver John R. Sinnock was chosen, as he had already designed a Mint presidential medal of Roosevelt. Sinnock's first design, submitted on October 12, 1945, was rejected, but a subsequent one was accepted on January 6, 1946.

The dime was released to the public on January 30, 1946, which would have been Roosevelt's 64th birthday. Sinnock's design placed his initials, "JS", at the base of Roosevelt's neck, on the coin's obverse. His reverse design elements of a torch, olive branch, and oak branch symbolized, respectively, liberty, peace, and victory.

Controversy immediately ensued, as strong anti-Communist sentiment in the United States led to the circulation of rumors that the "JS" engraved on the coin were the initials of Joseph Stalin, placed there by a Soviet agent in the mint. The Mint quickly issued a statement refuting this, confirming that the initials were indeed Sinnock's. Perhaps to avoid further controversy, when Sinnock designed the Franklin half dollar two years later, he used his full initials "JRS". (Stalin's middle name was Vissarionovich.) Sinnock's middle name was Ray.

The first known proposal for a decimal-based coinage system in the United States was made in 1783 by Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Alexander Hamilton, and David Rittenhouse (the first director of the Mint). Hamilton, the nation's first Secretary of the Treasury, recommended the issuance of six such coins in 1791, in a report to Congress. Among the six was a silver coin, "which shall be, in weight and value, one tenth part of a silver unit or dollar." His suggested name for the new coin was a "tenth."

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the good read. Not as many around as there used to be.
  • Options
    Description
    The story of how the Kennedy Half-Dollar came to be is one the most fascinating in our nation’s more recent coinage. Both Congress and the U.S. Mint had to scramble to make the coin memorializing our nation’s 35th President a reality after his assassination on November 22, 1963.

According to law of the time, coin designs could not be changed more often than every 25 years, and the Franklin-Liberty Bell Half-Dollar had only existed for 15. Not wanting to release any Franklin Half-Dollars dated 1964, Congress passed an act authorizing the Kennedy Half-Dollar on December 30, 1963.

Design
    The obverse of the Kennedy Half-Dollar features a bust portrait of President Kennedy surrounded by the word “L I B E R T Y”. The motto “IN GOD WE TRUST” crosses his neckline. At the bottom of the coin appears the date of issue, except for coins minted in 1975 and 1976. In these years, the dates “1776-1976” appeared to commemorate our nation’s Bicentennial.

The reverse features the Presidential Coat of Arms, which the United States Mint has used on various medals that it has minted. The denomination is listed at the bottom. The only years that did not feature this design were 1975-76. Coins minted during these years featured the Independence Hall in Philadelphia to commemorate the Bicentennial. Flanking the Hall are the phrases “200 YEARS OF FREEDOM” and “E PLURIBUS UNUM”. The words “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA” and “HALF DOLLAR” encircle the coin.

Minting Information
    As you can see from the Detailed Coin Information below, Kennedy halves have been minted using three separate compositions. Their first year of mintage was the last for 90% silver circulating coins in the United States. In 1965, Congress decided not to take all the silver out of the half-dollar as it did with the quarter-dollar and dime. Through 1970, Kennedy’s were minted in the silver-clad style outlined below. This was also the style for the Bicentennial Kennedy halves of 1975-76. The third composition type of Kennedy contains no silver at all.

Mint Marks have been placed in two separate locations throughout the Kennedy Half-Dollar’s mintage. From 1964-67, this mark appears above the “L” in “HALF” on the reverse. The next year, it moved below Kennedy’s bust on the obverse, directly below the “W” in the motto.

Detailed Coin Information - Silver Coinage
    Designer: Gilroy Roberts (obverse); Frank Gasparro (reverse). – Same for all versions.
    Gross Weight: 12.50g Silver Content: 0.36169 troy oz.
    Diameter: 30.6mm Thickness: 2.15mm
    Edge: Reeded
    Date: 1964
    Mints: Denver, Philadelphia

Detailed Coin Information - Silver Clad Coinage
    Gross Weight: 11.50g Silver Content: 0.14792 Troy oz.
    Composition: Silver Clad
    (Outer Layer of 80% Silver, 20% Copper bonded to Inner Core of 20.9% Silver, 79.1% Copper)

Date: 1965-70; 1975-76* ; 1992-present (Proofs only)

* Dated “1776-1976”, featuring Bicentennial reverse design by Seth G. Huntington
    Mints: Denver (1968-70), Philadelphia (1965-67), San Francisco (1968-70 – Proof only; 1976 – Proof and Uncirculated)

Detailed Coin Information - Copper-Nickel Clad Coinage
    Gross Weight: 11.34g Silver Content: None
    Composition: Cupro-Nickel Clad: 91.67% Copper, 8.33% Nickel
    (Outer Layer of 75% copper, 20% nickel bonded to Inner Core of Pure Copper)

Date: 1971-present (1975-76 coins dated “1776-1976” and feature Bicentennial reverse design by Seth G. Huntington)
    Mints: Denver, Philadelphia, San Francisco

Dan who's next
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves