Home Sports Talk
Options

its a joke VICK gets to keep his salary!

He is laughing all the way, doesnt have to play football and he is still getting paid.....

what are the falcons waiting for CUT THIS GUY ALREADY.....the only one crazy enough to sign him is Al davis and he may be dead by the time Vick gets out of Jail

Comments

• Options
    You honestly think Vick is laughing, with a federal indictment looming over him?

I hate the Falcons and despise Vick and these charges are disgusting - but cutting him before a conviction? That would simply invite a lawsuit if he wasn't guilty. I thought guilty until proven innocent was how we still did things in this country.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ax I agree with you but 99 out of 100 times they are pretty sure they have a solid case when they give you a federal indictment..
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    It's as simple as this, the league should support the falcons - who should suspend him without pay pending the completion of this situation - period!!! Forget the players assn - I don't think they'd get any sympathy or support from the public (not that that's relevant - but still.)
  • Options

<< <i>It's as simple as this, the league should support the falcons - who should suspend him without pay pending the completion of this situation - period!!! Forget the players assn - I don't think they'd get any sympathy or support from the public (not that that's relevant - but still.) >>

Why?

Why is it so important to cut off his paycheck now, before a conviction? I think too many people are losing their cool about this situation, and want to suspend civil rights to someone who hasn't even been tried, let alone convicted, in a court of law.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    And PacMan has been found guilty in which court of law?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    pacman jones' numerous problems are what got him suspended for a year...he was given a short leash and told if he got into trouble again, he'd be gone. He didn't listen.

And the court of public opinion is the most important? Glad I don't live in your world.

The right thing to do would be to give him a paid leave of absence to handle his legal issues. If and when he's convicted, then turn him loose.
  • Options
    Paid leave of absence? Bull$hit, he has got more money than god. Say you work construction would you get paid to take a few months off to clear up your legal troubles? Screw these ridiculously overpaid athletes that think they are above everyone else. And before you say it, YES I would say the same thing if it was Tom Brady.
  • Options

<< <i>

It's amazing how easy it is to say such things when you're not the one having to sign the checks.
    >>

Are you signing the checks? It's amazing how easy it to say these things when you don't know all the facts. Let's say you were arrested for DUI, yet you weren't drunk. How would you like to go to work the next day and find out you've been fired?
  • Options
    It's obvious that some people haven't read the indictment yet.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>It's obvious that some people haven't read the indictment yet. >>

I've read it. They are horrific charges, and, if convicted, he should absolutely be thrown in jail for the maximum allowed time. But let's not forget, these are *charges*, not a conviction.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Why should the NFL suspend him now without pay and invite a lawsuit from Vick and just muddy up the situation even more? Sure, the court of public opinion is against Vick but that court does not pay the NFL's legal bills. The NFL would like emphesis to be on what Vick
    has done not what the NFL has done to Vick. ESPN etc. providing daily updates on a Vick lawsuit against the NFL is not something they
    want to see.
  • Options
    Well said Michigan.

If he's guilty he's going to lose millions, lose his career, and lose his freedom (and rightfully so). Why is everyone in such a rush to keep him from getting paid?
  • Options
    It all depends if he goes to jail and for how long.
  • Options

<< <i>Michigan, who ever suggested that the NFL suspend him? Certainly not the OP and certainly not me so who are you speaking to?

Well, I think you are here unless I'm misunderstanding something:

<<Why is it so important to cut off his paycheck now, before a conviction? I think too many people are losing their cool about this situation, and want to suspend civil rights to someone who hasn't even been tried, let alone convicted, in a court of law.>>

Your response:
    Ax, here is why. Because at this point, Vick is doing a lot of harm to the Falcons and the league......

I'm assuming that by saying "cut off his paycheck" you are really saying the same thing as suspend him.
  • Options
    I could be mistaken but if ATL releases Vick before a certain date, he gets $0 unless it's guaranteed money.

Let's see if we can find his contract..............

Edited:

Link

Falcons quarterback Michael Vick signs richest NFL deal in history
    Jet, Jan 17, 2005
    Michael Vick recently became the richest player in the NFL by agreeing to call Atlanta home for the next decade.

The Falcons' star quarterback signed a 10-year; $130 million contract extension that guarantees him an NFL-record $37 million in bonuses, and he wants to prove he's worth every penny.

"The only thing that matters is winning football games. It's not about being the highest-paid guy in the NFL because that doesn't mean anything if you don't win football games," the 24-year-old Vick said. "A lot of guys come into the league, they bounce around and never really find a home. But I'm very excited to know that I'll be here and have an opportunity to bring a Super Bowl to this city."

Vick's deal surpasses the $98 million contract Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning signed last March. Manning, who signed for seven years, is guaranteed $34.5 million in bonuses. Vick's $130 million in potential value tops Philadelphia QB Donovan McNabb's 12-year, $115 million deal that runs through 2013.

The No. 1 overall draft pick in 2001, Vick has a 24-12-1 career record. He is 14-4 since returning from a broken ankle last year, and has led the Falcons to just the third division title in franchise history.

In a Week 8 victory at Denver, Vick, who was selected to his second Pro Bowl, became the first player in league history to rush for 100 yards and pass for 250 in a game.

COPYRIGHT 2005 Johnson Publishing Co.
  • Options
    If the Falcons cut vick, they will take a huge salary cap hit, I think in the neighborhood of 7 million if I remember hearing right.
  • Options
    No one is disputing that ATL will take a cap hit if they release him. That's a given and as baseball mentioned earlier, it's about $7MM for this year.

If the guaranteed money is ONLY based upon performance/milestones, he very well could be released and get ziltch.

It all depends on the wording and pay scale of the Contract.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody listen to the press conference today? I did. Arthur Blank sounded like a man who wants no part of Vick. After the usual bla bla bla talk about due process he sounded pretty ready to cut and run from Vick when the time comes and the courts decide Vick's legal future. He sounded like a man who wanted no part of Vick anymore no matter what the courts end up deciding.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    You forgot one thing....You do not have a RIGHT to play in the NFL.....Its THEIR league and THEIR Commish recently made a well known new rule about Conduct...they dont wait for the person to be convicted in a court of law....they make the decision based on the facts THEY have....

the facts Point to Mike vick being heavily involved (thus the federal indictment)....

this isnt some hooker accusing Southern Ivy Leaguers of Rape....

The Mike Vick thing is not heresay, its FACT that this went on in a HOUSE HE OWNED, with dogs HE BOUGHT IN New Jersey (thus the federal indictment-crossing state borders )...

The NFL has plenty to make THEIR decision to CUT him and never have to PAY him $100 million....

The Players Association will do nothing to stop it....Gene Upshaw has his own problems and really has no recourse under the new CONDUCT POLICY rules.....

Remember, this is THEIR league, Vick just plays,,ehh played in it....
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    ii hope they give it all to the humane society or peta in his name as a donation, thad be a good kick in the nuts for him lol
    randy
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vick's contract with the Falcons has strict morals and ethical behavior clauses by almost all accounts. I would be shocked if there is not language in such a contract that doesn't already spell out exactly what will happen to his contract and employment based on his actions. Those measures need not have been inserted based only on convictions, could be as simple as being an embarassment to the organization.

Blank has already spoken of Vick in the past tense (both Clayton & Pasquarelli reported this). Anything between now and then is just window dressing and PR spin (by both parties). Vick should enjoy the free money - he'll need it in the short term and in the long.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    My guess is that Vick is finished and will never play for an NFL team again. The process will have to work itself out but that is the end result IMO. If he is cut outright by the Falcons I doubt any team is going to want the baggage and bad PR they would get in signing Vick.
  • Options
    I don't believe this has been mentioned but reports are coming out that the Owner wanted to suspend Vick the maximum of 4 games (the most a team can suspend a player).

Roger came in and decided that the NFL will handle disciplinary actions.

Shananana, nananana, hey, hey, hey... Goodbye image
  • Options
    Glee that he's going to be suspended? Gee that doesn't sound racially motivated at all. Again, why the rush to get this guy punished? Why not let the judicial system play out? A guilty sentence comes down, playing in the NFL will be the absolute least of his worries.

• Options

<< <i>Gee that doesn't sound racially motivated at all. >>

Already resorting to the race card?

Great job image
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    You really cant disagree with a minimum action of suspension, can you? Look at the charges...they are not light. NFL is working hard on keeping its integrity. I think they are being soft because they ARE letting the judicial system play out. Suspension with pay is less than a slap on the wrist.

And where is the racial motivation? If Peyton Manning had been charged with this same action, you dont think the NFL would be doing anything or minimally the same??? I havent heard Jesse Jackson or the NAACP getting involved with this one....well, yet LOL. But please explain this nonsense because Im not getting it!
  • Options
    yea , jesse/al sharpton,and the naacp sure arent coming to his aid and sticking their noses in it for publictiy like they usually do,are they mr andrews,they know how to pick their fights lol, they anit gonna touch this one with a ten fooot pole, vicks on his own on this one i believe ,they already got him dead to right with 3 guys turned informant and a fbi plant there when he was, hes "dog meat" AX,agreed the nfl suspension is the last of his worries, his current worry is a guy named bubba in prison
    randy
  • Options
    Where was the 'moral outrage' over the golden boy tom brady's impregnating a woman then dumping her? If this is a black player in the NBA, he'd be crucified over it.

To say there is no racial motivation is blind. I'm not saying race is the sole factor here (far from it), but it is a factor.
  • Options

<< <i>yea , jesse/al sharpton,and the naacp sure arent coming to his aid and sticking their noses in it for publictiy like they usually do,are they mr andrews,they know how to pick their fights lol, they anit gonna touch this one with a ten fooot pole, vicks on his own on this one i believe ,they already got him dead to right with 3 guys turned informant and a fbi plant there when he was, hes "dog meat" AX,agreed the nfl suspension is the last of his worries, his current worry is a guy named bubba in prison
    randy >>

Even Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have their limits, how do you defend someone who has been accused of being part of a
    group that murdered dogs because they didn't live up to expectations?
  • Options

<< <i>Where was the 'moral outrage' over the golden boy tom brady's impregnating a woman then dumping her? If this is a black player in the NBA, he'd be crucified over it.

To say there is no racial motivation is blind. I'm not saying race is the sole factor here (far from it), but it is a factor. >>

LMAO Cmon!!! This isnt about Vick's morals..though it does show a lack of. Dumping your knocked up girlfriend is NO comparison! Did you know that you cant be federally charged for that? LOL

Edited to add: Do you think there are NO illigitimate children by NBA players out there? hahhahahaha
  • Options

Where's Jessie Jackson?

Where's Al Sharpton?

Where's the NAACP?

99.999% of the time when there's even a hint of racism, they are the FIRST in line to defend the accused.

Funny, they don't want anything to do with it because it's NOT a race issue.

Nice try and better luck next time image
  • Options
    Yankeeno, when did I say black players didn't do this? I didn't, I simply pointed out when it does happen, its a media heydey. As far as Sharpton and Jackson, does anyone want to step in the mess Vick's in? I didn't think so.

My last post on this topic: Vick's guilt has yet to be proven, he should continue to draw a check until his guilt is proven, then he should be locked up for the maximum allowable amount of time.
  • Options

<< <i>As far as Sharpton and Jackson, does anyone want to step in the mess Vick's in? I didn't think so. >>

Because it's NOT a race issue, like you are attempting to spin.

It has to do with a human being abusing animals for nothing more than entertainment.
  • Options

<< <i>It has to do with a human being abusing animals for nothing more than entertainment. >>

BUT he's a BLACK human being abusing animals! If he was white he wouldnt have been suspended!!! <insert sarcasm>
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    This has nothing to do with race (It's a rather ludicrous suggestion). However I am sure Jessie Jackoff is combing through every last bit of documentation so he can find a word on page 16 and a word on page 27, and combine them with a look in Roger Goodel's eye, to irrefutably prove that whitey is at it again.

Vick's a turd, and my only hope is that when he goes to prison, the attitude of his fellow inmates isn't "I could be Michael Vick's friend." Rather I hope the general sentiment is "I could be the guy that made Michael Vick my girlfriend."
    Travis
  • Options
    correct, jessie and al aint gonna step into this one, they only get into things where they can make a buck off of it somehow lol

randy
    p.s tom brady getting somebody pregnant and dumping em is a far cry from the mess vick is in lol, no comparrison -that happens all the time on every block of every city to someone,-look at all the people wilt chaimberlain said hes slept with, think he might have 1000 kids or so somewhere lol -the highest paid nfl football player busted dead to rights with 3 buddies turned informant and a fbi plant right on the scene placing him there dont even compare