Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Are First Strike & First Day Issue Coins a good thing?

Premiums seem to be real on these coins.

We already should understand that, First Strike is only a coin submitted to PCGS within 30 days of being issued... as we have been through this discussion before.....

HOWEVER... The only REAL positive, and YES I do have First Strike and FDI coins is that these coins cannot be easily upgraded.

Normally crackouts can happen on most coins. With the FDI issues, you would have to get one through a Presidential Review and we all know that only is succesful on a very few occasions.

So why the frenzy for First Strike and First Day Issue Coins?

You tell me....The coin is exactly the same without that "Special" label but worth less...

I rememeber I was told to "buy the coin not the holder" from a respected coin dealer.

What is up with these modern coins.. They seem to break all of the rules.

Comments

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Some people opt to pay many hundreds of dollars extra to have those little letters and numbers on the trunk of their cars (that identify the model) in gold color rather than silver color. Why is this? I assume that the difference seems better. They get the same exact car with a couple of doo-dads added and they willingly pay a premium. Upon resale, I doubt that they would see any return of this premium.
    At least upon resale, the FS and FDI coins may realize a return of their premium, maybe even a return on their premium.
    Why is this? I assume that the difference seems better.
    Like the cars, the option is needed if there is a demand, and if there is a demand, there is a premium. Is this a good thing? I assume it is for some buyers and some sellers.
    I hope that you like my answer - 5c please. image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am the odd guy out as I do not think either adds to the value of my collection.
    But I also am not a bullion type coin collector either. I love the disign on the Eagles just never got into collection them.

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about others, but for me I will collect the coin. If it happens to be in a first strike holder and it doesn't cost more than the coin of the same quality in the plain holder, then I would buy it (of course if I am in the market to buy it). I don't get it but somepeople really think they are better, so be it. I can tell you the garbage the mint sent me for Presidential Dollars was about as bad as I have seen from the mint. Those coins would have qualified for first strike. The only strike they got was strike three -- back to the mint for a refund. They were so bad I didn't even want replacements.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So why the frenzy for First Strike and First Day Issue Coins? >>

<< <i>You tell me....The coin is exactly the same without that "Special" label but worth less >>

Right on the mark. Please do not pay a big premium for a First Strike Coin - they are not special.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!