Home Sports Talk

Comments

• SciotoScioto Posts: 955
    The Columbus Clippers mourn the passing of former player Mike Coolbaugh Sunday. Mike was struck in the head by a foul ball, while coaching first base for the Tulsa Drillers. The incident occurred in the top of the ninth inning of the Drillers' Double-A Texas League game against the Arkansas Travelers.

Mike played for the Clippers in 1999 and 2000. He left the Clippers in 2000 to join the USA Olympic team.
    GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    It's too bad that he never could play up to his potential. Perhaps if teams (including the 'Stros) gave him an opportunity, he could have shined.

RIP Mike
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    What a shame. It seems like they always wind up leaving a pregnant wife.

Thoughts and prayers out to the family -- and to the poor guy who hit that line drive. Even if logically he knows and accepts that it was just a freak accident, that's an awful burden to bear for the rest of your life.
  • Wonder if this will get the base coaches to wear batting helmets? I'd have to think that the added safety would be a welcome thing...they are sitting ducks out there and its amazing that this tragedy hasn't occurred before.
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    thats for sure, id have a helment onthats for sure!, tragic and unnecessary death,they make the batboy wear hard helmets,why not the coaches??
    randy
  • kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Helmet wouldn't have helped. The coroner's report says he was hit on the neck and it ruptured his artery.

All he could have done was pay more attention.
    Travis
  • freak accident doesnt mean that the base coach needs a helmet. should the pitcher wear one? he's closer to the plate than the base coaches? Typical overreaction.
  • SciotoScioto Posts: 955

<< <i>The coroner's report says he was hit on the neck and it ruptured his artery. >>

The will of Allah!
    GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!