Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

High Grade T206 Cards?

I am just curious and want to put this question out to the masses.

What grades would you consider a T206 to be, to be called high grade?

I know in reference to what I have collected in the past the 50's and 60's I would call PSA 8's and above to be considered high grade.

When it would come to a PSA 8 though in the T206 set, I would nearly call that a museum piece.

I know the SMR only goes as low as PSA 5's in the price listing. On a set this old, why wouldn't/shouldn't they go all the way down to pricing grades for 1's as well. I have seen that some people are actually doing sets that low.

As for the PSA 5's. Do they usually sell for right around SMR? Much higher or lower? I am sure the low pop and the distinctly different reverses sell for premiums. What kind of price ranges do PSA 4's go for?

I have been thinking of trying to start work on this set, and have trying to figure out what level to try to get into.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rob Ruth

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Rob:

T206 prices have dropped considerably in the past few months. PSA 5s and 6s are off about 15% or so. I personally think PSA 5s and above are all very beautiful from the set. You definitely will find huge price variations for about 75 or so commons from the set just given their relative scarcity, due sometimes to print series, etc. (but not always...for example, Magee portrait always commands a strong premium)

Here are my two nicest cards from the set:

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    You should be able to put together a good start of a set of 5's at or below SMR (commons generally sell for around $100).

A also agree that prices have dropped the last few months as I've been able to pick up 6's for well under $200 (I was never able to get them at that price a year ago).

I don't pay much attention to PSA 4 commons in terms of prices, but you can pick up some common HOFers in PSA 4 for around $150

Very nice cards mikeschmidt!

• Options
    You should join vintagecardprices.com we have the latest pricing on all grades and graders for the T206 set and it is up to the minute. Plus you can create a Want List and get email notices everytime a card you want becomes available in auction.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    I've been finding some PSA 4's below $50 recently which I need, and you can get PSA 3 for $30 and under sometimes, which is a steal if you are OK with a lower grade card....
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been finding some PSA 4's below $50 recently which I need, and you can get PSA 3 for $30 and under sometimes, which is a steal if you are OK with a lower grade card.... >>

I would anything 6 and up would be considered high grade, it seems to me prices start to really go up at that point. It seems that from PSA 2- to PSA 4 cards can be all over the place as far as appearance. I just started getting into these cards and I have to say some of them are just little pieces of art. The colors are just amazing on some.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    who is the harris collection?
  • Options
    Who is the Harris Collection?

I hope this doesnt come across as mean sounding, but if you are asking that, it sounds like you are a collecting newbie?

The Harris collection, was one of the best if not the best colelction of T206 cards ever assembled.

One day, I hope just to be able to have one to call my own. That was an amazing assembly of cards, that must have taken forever to accomplish and put together. I can't imagine how difficult it would have been to part with that set.

Although, I was prett much in the same boat when it came to my 1955 AA FB set. I ended up selling my baby to buy my first house.

Rob
  • Options
    <Who is the Harris Collection?

I wonder how many different collections have their pedigree represented on slabs now? We already know that Harris and Carter's are being labeled and I think Burdick and Halper's is also. What about Shigley or Cryder? Wasn't Shigley supposed to have the only collection that was larger than Jefferson Burdick's?
  • Options
    As you climb above PSA 5, the prices move far beyond the SMQ quotes. By the time you get to the 8's, the gap is tremendous. I agree with some of the other statements in this thread, there has been a little softness in prices lately (at least in the lower and middle grades), but not as bad as other card series or coins. T206's prices will always benifit from limited supply and popularity. Yes, there can be a hiccup here and there, but generally they consistantly move up over time. Probably the best way to get a feel for the prices, is to track ebay final sales for a while. After compiling enough data, you can get a good idea of what the market is willing to accept. Good hunting!
  • Options
    Thank you all for your responses.

My biggets thing I was wondering about was what people consider high grade for this set. I was just curious about pricing and how the market was, but when it comes to collecting, I always try to build a pretty nice quality set.

I know PSA 8's are considered high grade for the 50's and 60's where I have been in the past in collecting, but how low would still be considered high grade for something this old? PSA 5's or 6's? Maybe 4's?

Thanks
    Rob
  • Options
    PSA 6's.....could be considered high grade for big name HOF'ers and rare backs..as prices take a jump

PSA 7's for commons
  • Options
    sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭

<< <i>PSA 6's.....could be considered high grade for big name HOF'ers and rare backs..as prices take a jump

PSA 7's for commons >>

image That sounds very accurate to me.
  • Options
    you can't figure out what level to "get into" without understanding what your budget is and how long you are willing to build the set. There are very few sets on the registry exceeding an overall GPA of 5 and there are some extremely well heeled collectors of this set. Anyway, figure out your budget, and then set your grade objective. You can always get higher grade commons and lower grade stars/low pop commons and still meet your targeted overall GPA.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options

<< <i>PSA 6's.....could be considered high grade for big name HOF'ers and rare backs..as prices take a jump

PSA 7's for commons >>

It also depends on how rare the back is.

For Drum backs, anything above 3 is high grade.

For BL 460s, anything above 2 is high grade.

For Carolina Brights, anything above 5 is high grade.

For ABs, anything above 5 is high grade.

For Polar Bears (which aren't rare, but are very condition sensitive), above 5 is high grade.

For Uzits and Lenox, anything above 4 is high grade.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i> hope this doesnt come across as mean sounding, but if you are asking that, it sounds like you are a collecting newbie? >>

Yeah, you tell em. Call out those silly n00b's and put them in their place! image

(I've collected for almost 20 years and have never heard of the Harris collection until now. Then again, I don't pay much attention to pre-war stuff.)
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    "It also depends on how rare the back is.

For Drum backs, anything above 3 is high grade.

For BL 460s, anything above 2 is high grade.

For Carolina Brights, anything above 5 is high grade.

For ABs, anything above 5 is high grade.

For Polar Bears (which aren't rare, but are very condition sensitive), above 5 is high grade.

For Uzits and Lenox, anything above 4 is high grade."

I would agree to a point....I wasn't trying to break it down that much...for me personally a Drum or Broadleaf 460 in a 1 or 10 is high enough grade for me....and I'm very interested in buying either like that....

My "high" grades of each of the rare backs as of now...

Carolina Brights PSA 4
    Broadleaf 350 SGC 10
    Broadleaf 460 "I need one!"
    Drum SGC 30
    Brown Hindu PSA 4
    Red Hindu "I need one!"
    Uzit SGC 30
    Lenox PSA 2 (but is a Hof'er)

• Options
    The best I've been able to muster up:

Sovereign 150: 4 VG/EX
    American Beauty: 6 EX/MT
    Broadleaf 350: 2 Good
    Cycle: 4 VG/EX (for both 350 and 460 series)
    Drum: 3 Very Good
    Sovereign 350: 5 Excellent
    Piedmont 460 Fact. 42: 5 Excellent
    Carolina Brights: 5 Excellent
    EPDG: 3 Very Good
    Hindu Brown: 4 VG/EX
    Hindu Red: 3 Very Good
    Lenox: 2 Good
    Old Mill: 6 EX/MT
    Polar Bear: 5 Excellent
    Tolstoi: 5 Excellent
    Uzit: 3 Very Good
  • Options
    Mike:

Thanks for the thoughts on the backs and the grades. This will help greatly. I was also wondering which backs are really rare and so on. Your posts will help otu quite a bit.
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    There is a lot of useful T206 information (back scarcity) information here:

T206 Museum.com